• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Spring is the best option at this point even though everyone is reluctant to do it. It’s just for one year, it won’t be permanent.

Griz til I die said:
The Spring is the best option at this point even though everyone is reluctant to do it. It’s just for one year, it won’t be permanent.

Snowball's chance for the fall. MLB is proving that quite nicely.

The largest concern I have with moving fall sports to the spring is that it makes it difficult for student-athletes to have off-season surgery and be recovered by the time to start fall camps. But it is what it is, and spring is almost certainly still the best option.

There will be fall football.

If they don’t play in the fall, they won’t play in the spring either. COVID will still be here.

Either play this fall or not at all until fall 2021.

get'em_griz said:

If they don’t play in the fall, they won’t play in the spring either. COVID will still be here.

I can say with 1000% certainty that as of yesterday the athletic directors in the Big Sky were planning on football this fall. They're busting their asses to make that happen. Fans are another story, but those haven't been ruled out yet either. Obviously things change.

I also agree that if not played in fall, they won't be played in spring. That'd be a nightmare for many reasons, but it sounds like the biggest factor is the players. Many would rather not play at all and just try again next fall.

But who are we kidding. If people are so freaked out now, and think there is no chance of these kids playing because it's too dangerous, then why would we be so confident this spring? People must really be banking on a vaccine, and one that works better than any vaccine ever has. Because this virus is sticking around.

Has any athlete, college or pro, that has acquired the virus died? How many have even been hospitalized? Are we still pretending all these measures are just about not overwhelming hospitals?

get'em_griz said:

Bingo NCAA has already suggested that they will not allow spring football then a return to play next fall. Not enough downtime. Either play this fall or no football until next year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-allows-college-football-season-to-start-one-week-early-160411941.html

I think there will be "some" fall football. Who plays and how limited it will be remains to be seen. I'm hopeful the Big Sky and or Griz play fall football in some form.
It just feels like if there is no fall football, the best option may be to try again in fall of 2021.

get'em_griz said:

This. A spring season would not work.

get'em_griz said:

The correct answer.

'68griz said:
get'em_griz said:

No it would definitely work, but it's just not very feasible for all the reasons Everett listed above. Playing in the spring is not a long term solution, but I would bet a large chunk of FBS and FCS schools would be willing to deal with one spring season. I understand it's a quick turnaround to the fall 2021 season, and I think that may be a situation where a lot of younger guys may be able to play to preserve our Sophomores and Juniors for the fall. I think it would actually be really interesting to see the coaching and schematics behind a spring season when it comes to personnel.

I’ve seen some posts from players already (Cats and Griz) mentioning stuff along the lines of “have you been in MT in the spring....aw hell no”

When they say spring season I’m guessing they are talking like a February-March-April and we all know how frozen it can be in Feb and March.

Griz til I die said:
'68griz said:
No it would definitely work, but it's just not very feasible for all the reasons Everett listed above. Playing in the spring is not a long term solution, but I would bet a large chunk of FBS and FCS schools would be willing to deal with one spring season. I understand it's a quick turnaround to the fall 2021 season, and I think that may be a situation where a lot of younger guys may be able to play to preserve our Sophomores and Juniors for the fall. I think it would actually be really interesting to see the coaching and schematics behind a spring season when it comes to personnel.

I guess "technically", anything could work. They could play every other Wednesday night and the last Sunday of every month and it would "work" per se.

I do know that if you were to rank the options for the athletic directors, with the first obviously be playing this fall; not playing at all is favored over playing in the spring. This may not be the case with every football team in the country, or even every FCS team. But so far it's the overall feeling in the Big Sky.

Obviously I want football this fall. But if too many people complain and football can't get played, don't hold your breath waiting for spring

Yes. I think it will start in the fall. The biggest challenge will be finishing it. We are living in uncertain times. I know that is a weak answer but I want to think positive that it will happen.

ilovethecats said:
get'em_griz said:

I can say with 1000% certainty that as of yesterday the athletic directors in the Big Sky were planning on football this fall. They're busting their asses to make that happen. Fans are another story, but those haven't been ruled out yet either. Obviously things change.

I also agree that if not played in fall, they won't be played in spring. That'd be a nightmare for many reasons, but it sounds like the biggest factor is the players. Many would rather not play at all and just try again next fall.

But who are we kidding. If people are so freaked out now, and think there is no chance of these kids playing because it's too dangerous, then why would we be so confident this spring? People must really be banking on a vaccine, and one that works better than any vaccine ever has. Because this virus is sticking around.

Has any athlete, college or pro, that has acquired the virus died? How many have even been hospitalized? Are we still pretending all these measures are just about not overwhelming hospitals?

Again, at some point we, as a society, are going to have to put on our big boy pants and accept the additional .1% chance that something terrible might happen and move on with life.

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

Again, at some point we, as a society, are going to have to put on our big boy pants and accept the additional .1% chance that something terrible might happen and move on with life.
Totally agree. Like I said, we can all wear our masks and distance. Hell they can shut down businesses again and close schools. We'll appear to have a handle on things and we'll open back up. More people will test positive. More people will panic. And we're right back where we are now. People are dreaming if they think that those that are so fearful right now won't be in February and March.

The virus isn't going away. The only hope is more people will be ready with moving on with their lives rather than living in fear of everything that may be able to kill you. Like car accidents that have killed twice the number of people in Montana than the virus has... :coffee:

Yep spring season will not work ncaa will not allow 2 seasons in a year because injury risk from not enough down time so fall of 2021 it is. My questions though is if we decide to play will any of the players want to play (they polled Portland state players and they would rather not play) also I’ve heard rumblings of a few Griz players not wanting to play, so if we have a season will there be players who opt out? Okay next question say we move football to next fall and say the whole team decides to come back will the NCAA even allow the players to come back on scholarship for another year? Being the NCAA and FBS appearing to be a go will the NCAA try to screw the FCS teams? On to the next all the players come back then what happens to our 2021 recruiting class? There is 4 guys committed already, will Bobby have to cut guys to make room for any incoming recruits? 2021 was going to be a huge class and it would screw with our future if we can’t recruit a whole class. Will the NCAA allow us to have extra scholarships to give out to the class of 2021 and let us expand the roster?

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

151,000 and counting.

grizfan1984 said:
Yep spring season will not work ncaa will not allow 2 seasons in a year because injury risk from not enough down time so fall of 2021 it is. My questions though is if we decide to play will any of the players want to play (they polled Portland state players and they would rather not play) also I’ve heard rumblings of a few Griz players not wanting to play, so if we have a season will there be players who opt out? Okay next question say we move football to next fall and say the whole team decides to come back will the NCAA even allow the players to come back on scholarship for another year? Being the NCAA and FBS appearing to be a go will the NCAA try to screw the FCS teams? On to the next all the players come back then what happens to our 2021 recruiting class? There is 4 guys committed already, will Bobby have to cut guys to make room for any incoming recruits? 2021 was going to be a huge class and it would screw with our future if we can’t recruit a whole class. Will the NCAA allow us to have extra scholarships to give out to the class of 2021 and let us expand the roster?

I'll try to find it but I read a tweet last week from a college football reporter that said the overall feeling from all the coaches and players he talked to said they'd rather scrap the season than trying to play in spring.

Obviously there are many factors in play but at this time it seems like the people that matter would prefer fall or nothing. That would suck.

mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:

151,000 and counting.

Well hiding in a closet ain't gonna make it go away. You take a risk just getting out of bed in the morning. Personally, I'm willing to take that additional .1% risk and go about living. :thumb: :thumb:

Back