• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre-Season Practice (or Lack Thereof)

IdaGriz01

Topics involving “will there be a football season?” and “what will it look like?” have not run their course, but are getting a little stale. So, I decided to start a different thread. Bear with me a moment … it will get to football.

Right now, aside some weird “niche” stuff, live sports on TV is pretty much NASCAR, golf, and (just recently) baseball. I understand that TV viewership for baseball has started out like a ball of fire, being almost the only other “game in town.” But let's springboard off all that.

Golf is almost entirely an individual sport, each pro being essentially an independent contractor. They can practice as much or as little as the feel necessary. After knocking off some very minor “rust,” golf started out pretty much as usual … some guys hot, others not so much. They basically followed a normal day-by-day progression. (Only the really big tournaments drew huge crowds anyway, so the absence of spectators seemed only a minor anomaly.)

Baseball, however, is a team sport. We watched parts of several games yesterday, and you could tell their play really suffered from a lack of pre-season practice. Errors -- some of them basic -- all over the place, plus some other egregious misplays (A quick count shows at least 18 called errors in 15 games.) Of course, you expect more errors early in the season, but this was pretty ugly. I could go on, but … ‘nuf said.

Here are the football questions. Of course, there are always “rough edges” early in a season (at any level). But: (1) How bad do you expect it to be? (2) What areas do you expect to be most severely impacted?

Before I answer either question, I must say at least we’re all on the same playing field, mostly. As for how bad it’ll be probably depends mostly on how many pieces are being replaced and if coaching changes have been made. Montana will have a huge advantage here with a vast majority of starters returning. That being said, the answer to question two is replacing QB’s. I think those teams will struggle the most. “Luckily” in our case, our replacement has started a little already and had success, not to mention 2+ years in the system with the same receivers.

Back