• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz picked second by coaches, media in preseason polls

This prediction seems a bit lofty, even if there is a season. Eastern doesn’t crack the top 3 and Davis just One spot ahead of Portland State? As much as I hate it...msu should be ahead of the Griz.

BozAngelesGriz said:
This prediction seems a bit lofty, even if there is a season. Eastern doesn’t crack the top 3 and Davis just One spot ahead of Portland State? As much as I hate it...msu should be ahead of the Griz.

I hate to admit it but I agree that the cats have earned the right to be above the Griz in the polls until the Griz can beat them. I sure hope they get the opportunity this season because I think they’d do it, particularly at home - which is maybe why voters gave the edge to the Griz over the cats. That said I like the motivating factor of looking up at other teams in the polls and working to knock them off.

firmgriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

I hate to admit it but I agree that the cats have earned the right to be above the Griz in the polls until the Griz can beat them. I sure hope they get the opportunity this season because I think they’d do it, particularly at home - which is maybe why voters gave the edge to the Griz over the cats. That said I like the motivating factor of looking up at other teams in the polls and working to knock them off.

I get what you’re saying but the coaches and media are also looking who is coming back on each team as well as the schedule. The schedule sets up much better for the Griz this year than the Cats. That alone was probably the deciding factor.

HookedonGriz said:
firmgriz said:

I get what you’re saying but the coaches and media are also looking who is coming back on each team as well as the schedule. The schedule sets up much better for the Griz this year than the Cats. That alone was probably the deciding factor.

And our qb situation is up in the air at best. Had we been set at that position I think we'd have the best team in the league. But it's sketchy.

ilovethecats said:
HookedonGriz said:

And our qb situation is up in the air at best. Had we been set at that position I think we'd have the best team in the league. But it's sketchy.

Yep they look at all of that. I’m guessing McCay will be tabbed your starter. Any word on how he is looking. If he is legit, your team just got a lot better.

HookedonGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Yep they look at all of that. I’m guessing McCay will be tabbed your starter. Any word on how he is looking. If he is legit, your team just got a lot better.
Truthfully I know nothing. In normal times I get to a decent amount of practices and get a feel for the team. In bizzaro world we live in I couldn't tell you a thing about anyone.

I know the coaches are very high on him physically and mentally, and I agree I think he'll be tabbed the starter.

But I agree. If he's as good as the staff seems to think he could be we're a lot better. If we have similar qb play to the last couple years, combined with a tougher schedule, I think we have an uphill climb.

funny, no way will Weber win the Big Sky. MSU should be ahead of weber and still behind us. both have a QB unknown.....but cats probably will be number 2 when all is said and done. Good thing for the Griz there is not going to be any tailgating this year so the stands will be fuller than normal when the 3rd quarter starts....if there is a season at all.

retiredpopo said:
funny, no way will Weber win the Big Sky. MSU should be ahead of weber and still behind us. both have a QB unknown.....but cats probably will be number 2 when all is said and done. Good thing for the Griz there is not going to be any tailgating this year so the stands will be fuller than normal when the 3rd quarter starts....if there is a season at all.

Why? They have a very favorable conference schedule and return most starters. QB a question mark but has been the past two seasons which hasn't stopped them from winning the conference both seasons.

ilovethecats said:
Our qb situation is up in the air at best... I think [some new dude] will be tabbed the starter.
498a03.jpg

ilovethecats said:
HookedonGriz said:
Truthfully I know nothing. In normal times I get to a decent amount of practices and get a feel for the team. In bizzaro world we live in I couldn't tell you a thing about anyone.

I know the coaches are very high on him physically and mentally, and I agree I think he'll be tabbed the starter.

But I agree. If he's as good as the staff seems to think he could be we're a lot better. If we have similar qb play to the last couple years, combined with a tougher schedule, I think we have an uphill climb.

I shudder to think what could have happened if you guys had a serviceable QB over the last few years, Cat/Griz games aside. Anyone. Just anyone who could read a basic FCS defense and throw a ball. Ugh. All in the past. Moving forward.

SWeberCat02 said:
retiredpopo said:

Why? They have a very favorable conference schedule and return most starters. QB a question mark but has been the past two seasons which hasn't stopped them from winning the conference both seasons.

How many 26-27-year-olds do they return on the lines? That's the real question.

CDAGRIZ said:
SWeberCat02 said:

They have at least 8 that have 401Ks set up for their kids college. (Is that how 401K works?)

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They have at least 8 that have 401Ks set up for their kids college. (Is that how 401K works?)

You're only 128 off (i.e. 529). ;) :thumb:

in the 2nd grade when kids bring their parents for job day at school they can introduce their dad as a Weber football player....along with his 3 wives.....OK I know that was wrong lol sorry..

retiredpopo said:
in the 2nd grade when kids bring their parents for job day at school they can introduce their dad as a Weber football player....along with his 3 wives.....OK I know that was wrong lol sorry..

No apologies. I laughed. :lol:

CDAGRIZ said:
retiredpopo said:

No apologies. I laughed. :lol:
As a matter of fact, we do have quite a few O and D line players who are returned Mormon missionaries. That only adds two years on. In the past, and I'm sure it happens across the country, we have had ex military guys who were in their mid to upper 20s. There are just as many disadvantages as advantages. It still comes down to strength, conditioning, skill and competitiveness. I'm not sure that age, or at least 2 years worth, is that significant. Maturity has more to do with culture and personality and less to do with ones age.

I just hope we get to have a season and a playoff. There are at least 4 or 5 teams that could win the BSC. Football is measured in yards, but is truly a game of inches.

Back