• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Any news?

mtgrizrule

Anyone else hear of possible news coming out today or the next week? I wonder, if they have updates about the football season ?

BSC annual Football Kickoff/Media Day scheduled for next Thursday/Friday (7/23 and 7/24) on Pluto TV. Maybe answer then or maybe before and the season is off?

GNAC just cancelled Fall sports. That means the opener against Central Washington is gone. California BSC schools will most likely not be playing. Covid is raging nationally and picking up speed in Montana. I think Missoula just added 21 more cases this Friday. Fall sports at UM are looking doubtful.

Dillon said:
My guess is we play but not until Feb. 2021.

From what I’ve heard and from a reliable source is that if we don’t play this fall don’t expect football this spring because NCAA will not allow 2 seasons in the same year due to injury risks so maybe no football until Fall 2021

Not news but IMHO - which is worth zero - If the rest of the country had a MT style mask policy (any and all hot spots) and massive testing acceleration we could catch up to the majority of the world and have some semblance of normality in 2 months or so. Some form of College FB this Fall. Since this ain't going to happen College FB will be a cluster f.ck of different conferences, different schedules different protocols, etc.
Hard to believe that FCS can work things out to be a part of it all with the expenses, logistics, changing conditions etc. Some of the Power 5 may be able to figure it out since millions of $ are at stake but we are fucked.

It would be very sad, not only for the FB team but other sports teams at UM too and the U as a whole. I am hoping for a miracle but don't see it at this point. I am at under 10% there is a FCS season in 2020. :cry:

Just got this in my email - thought it was a worthwhile link although about Universities in General - https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-university

behappp said:
Not news but IMHO - which is worth zero - If the rest of the country had a MT style mask policy (any and all hot spots) and massive testing acceleration we could catch up to the majority of the world and have some semblance of normality in 2 months or so. Some form of College FB this Fall. Since this ain't going to happen College FB will be a cluster f.ck of different conferences, different schedules different protocols, etc.
Hard to believe that FCS can work things out to be a part of it all with the expenses, logistics, changing conditions etc. Some of the Power 5 may be able to figure it out since millions of $ are at stake but we are f###[#].

It would be very sad, not only for the FB team but other sports teams at UM too and the U as a whole. I am hoping for a miracle but don't see it at this point. I am at under 10% there is a FCS season in 2020. :cry:

Just got this in my email - thought it was a worthwhile link although about Universities in General - https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-university
Thanks Brian; interesting read.

This is encouraging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-phase-1-lancet/2020/07/20/12fbbc92-c857-11ea-a825-8722004e4150_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_virusoxford-1040am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Not football (baseball, Freddie Freeman who had the virus). Again, being able to test this much is going to run into a lot of money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/further-review-blog/who-is-that-masked-man-its-freddie-freeman-and-you-need-to-hear-him/K54ZJP4AOJACNPJXA4KFAMFJQU/

kemajic said:
behappp said:
Hard to believe that FCS can work things out to be a part of it all with the expenses, logistics, changing conditions etc. Some of the Power 5 may be able to figure it out since millions of $ are at stake but we are f###[#].

Ditto on the interesting read. Getting people to follow guidelines has proven impossible and it isn't going to change, so I don't see fall sports occurring at U of M (the U's liability insurers are likely chiming in loud and clear). Hopefully (and the early indications are positive), we have an effective vaccine sometime this fall...so maybe, just maybe...we can have winter sports.

grizpaws said:
kemajic said:
Ditto on the interesting read. Getting people to follow guidelines has proven impossible and it isn't going to change, so I don't see fall sports occurring at U of M (the U's liability insurers are likely chiming in loud and clear). Hopefully (and the early indications are positive), we have an effective vaccine sometime this fall...so maybe, just maybe...we can have winter sports.

I think projecting having a vaccine ready by "this fall" is WAY overly optimistic. I haven't seen a single reputable source project the same. Even the Oxford vaccine, which is getting press for its early progress and signs of effectiveness in Stage 1/2 trials, said in its most rosy of projections that its "possible" to be ready by the end of the year. Stage 3 trials, the biggest, most complex and time consuming, are necessary to prove that the vaccine doesn't just produce antibodies, but also prevents the disease. There is no scenario where a vaccine is going to be ready for the public in time to preserve a college fall football season. Spring or winter maybe, but 0% chance its happening by fall, which is barely a month away.

"Pharmaceutical executives told Congress that there are many uncertainties about when a coronavirus vaccine will be available, but representatives of some of the most closely watched efforts said they hope to have vaccines with some sort of regulatory approval by the fall.

“It’s a difficult question to answer in terms of probabilities,” Mene Pangalos, an executive vice president at AstraZeneca, told a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee on oversight and investigations when asked about the likelihood that a vaccine would be available by year’s end. “If we have efficacy data, we hope it will happen anytime from September onward.”

Stephen Hoge, president of the biotechnology company Moderna, said that, presuming that enough people in a 30,000-person clinical trial set to begin next week get sick, he anticipated that a vaccine would be possible by “fall or toward the end of the year.”
“We would also hope at that point to have millions of doses of vaccines available,” Hoge said.

John Young, chief business officer of Pfizer, said that the company plans to submit early data this month to the Food and Drug Administration and, pending regulatory approval, begin a larger human test. The company plans to deliver up to 100 million doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion in 2021.

Macaya Douoguih, head of clinical development and medical affairs at Janssen Vaccines, part of pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson, said the company would start its large trial in September and hoped to have results by early 2021 — and 100 million doses by the end of March."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/21/covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_virus-luf-1225am%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-ZHRIPGYNBBGN7MXNNJBBLMD5KU

- Washington and several other states just moved high school football to the spring.

- 5 FCS conferences have already cancelled fall football.

- The big boys are taking away the FCS payday games

- It’s doubtful any of the California Schools will be allowed to play.

At this point there is no way the FCS has a Fall Football season. Hopefully they can figure out spring football...I’d imagine we hear something from the Big Sky in the next week...

Big Sky media days are being held this week. I believe coaches are tomorrow (the 23rd) and players on the 24th. Hopefully the coaches will actually be talking football, rather than the virus; it would be great to hear some straight up football talk.

Latest posts

Back