• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stanford just cut 11 sports for budget reasons, it said

PlayerRep

"the university announced that it will be cutting men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

"This is heartbreaking news to share," Stanford's leadership said in an open letter. "These 11 programs consist of more than 240 incredible student-athletes and 22 dedicated coaches. They were built by more than 4,000 alumni whose contributions led to 20 national championships, 27 Olympic medals, and an untold number of academic and professional achievements. Each of the individuals associated with these programs will forever have a place in Stanford’s history."

Athletes in all 11 sports will be allowed to compete in one last season before the sport is dropped – provided COVID-19 conditions permit – and Stanford will honor all existing scholarships to the student-athletes throughout their undergraduate time at Stanford.

Before the cuts, Stanford sponsored 36 different varsity sports. The only athletic program in the country that currently sponsors more varsity sports is Ohio State with 37.

Stanford announced Wednesday that it is dropping 11 sports amid financial difficulties caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-sports/2020/07/115008/stanford-to-drop-11-varsity-sports-following-the-2020-21-athletic-season

Ivies expected to announce their decisions on sports, about 6pm eastern, or so. Decisions being made the presidents.

State of Washington just announced that the earliest that high schools games could be played is Sept 18. Not sure how this will translate to other levels.

Damn, that sucks for Stanford. I actually used to work with a woman who went there on a sailing scholarship, seriously. I think these kinds of niche sports give elite HS athletes access to universities they might not otherwise get. I'd say the biggest one listed has to be men's VB. That's not a niche sport in CA.

Scuttlebutt on mwc board from a couple if pretty reliable posters is the pac is deciding on a conference only schedule or cancelling the entire season. Decision due in a couple of weeks. Just rumor though but guy has been spot on in the past.

CDAGRIZ said:
Damn, that sucks for Stanford. I actually used to work with a woman who went there on a sailing scholarship, seriously. I think these kinds of niche sports give elite HS athletes access to universities they might not otherwise get. I'd say the biggest one listed has to be men's VB. That's not a niche sport in CA.

If the ncaa loses the niche sports and only football and basketball are left then just call it semi pro. At that point it is only about $$

p8nted said:
CDAGRIZ said:

If the ncaa loses the niche sports and only football and basketball are left then just call it semi pro. At that point it is only about $$

I don't disagree with this take at all. That would suck.

p8nted said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Or only about not losing $$. Could also be a call to there wealthy alums to save their favorite niche sports. Surprised about men’s volleyball and wrestling which I would think is one of the least expensive sports. We need more sports not less on all campuses. It’s what unites us as a country or a region which is a huge factor culturally. All Sports are too important a part of our culture to defund. IMO. The more sports the better which would have more participants and then more alumni donors. I don’t know the answer but would think varsity sport alums contribute more back to colleges then non varsity alum. Thanks

CDAGRIZ said:
p8nted said:

But if football and basketball are not played, or played without fans in the stands, how do you pay for the niche sports? (unless you have a big tv contract)

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

But if football and basketball are not played, or played without fans in the stands, how do you pay for the niche sports? (unless you have a big tv contract)

Totally. I agree that it might be financially necessary. But, it doesn't mean it won't suck.

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Totally. I agree that it might be financially necessary. But, it doesn't mean it won't suck.
Agree!

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

How do you actually pay for football and basketball in this scenario?

grizindabox said:
MikeyGriz said:

How do you actually pay for football and basketball in this scenario?

Can't be done without fans in the stands, pay per view, or tv contracts. Or some as yet unknown revenue stream. Hell, even with fans in the stands et al, a lot of schools still can't pay for football and/or basketball.

Stanford has a $27 billion endowment, so I don't understand why they couldn't subsist for a couple years until things are figured out.

grizband said:
Stanford has a $27 billion endowment, so I don't understand why they couldn't subsist for a couple years until things are figured out.

Stanford is a needs base school. They look at parent income and if you are from a poor family they waive all tuition. Middle class gets a big chunk waived, etc al based on need.. They use that endowment to fund part to that. I doubt the investments are real hot right now and nobody wants to endanger the principal.

p8nted said:
grizband said:

Stanford is a needs base school. They look at parent income and if you are from a poor family they waive all tuition. Middle class gets a big chunk waived, etc al based on need.. They use that endowment to fund part to that. I doubt the investments are real hot right now and nobody wants to endanger the principal.
That's a fair point, better to cover tuition than athletics.

...if you're looking at progressive schools...
...future new ideas and trends...
...this is not a good look...

... :shock: ...

Very surprised to see men’s rowing on the list. Stanford has a long and storied history when it comes to collegiate rowing. They even sent a few men’s 8-oar boats to the Olympics.

p8nted said:
grizband said:

The cost of these sports can’t be significant. Stanford pays the full cost of college for kids making less than probably $150,000. Middle class kids get good grants too, but the parent cost is often too significant for kids to attend.

All affected kids on scholarship will keep their scholarships, so little savings there until they cycle through.

The Stanford endowment is probably fine and will come back in any event. The Nasdaq hit another record high today. The S&P is up 45% since Trump was elected. Stanford is not hurting for money. I went to law school there, as did my daughter, and follow Stanford things.

PlayerRep said:
p8nted said:

The cost of these sports can’t be significant. Stanford pays the full cost of college for kids making less than probably $150,000. Middle class kids get good grants too, but the parent cost is often too significant for kids to attend.

All affected kids on scholarship will keep their scholarships, so little savings there until they cycle through.

The Stanford endowment is probably fine and will come back in any event. The Nasdaq hit another record high today. The S&P is up 45% since Trump was elected. Stanford is not hurting for money. I went to law school there, as did my daughter, and follow Stanford things.

Stanford was looking at a $25 million dollar hole in the athletic budget. They were deep in the red even before the covid mess. I guess they don’t agree with your priorities.

Back