• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let’s talk special teams

Griz til I die

DONOR
Seems like the only 2 things we’ve talked about for moths is coronavirus and recruiting, while I love following recruiting, let’s talk about something different: special teams. While I feel really good about the 2020 team, this is an area I’m feeling a little uneasy about. Let’s break it down:

Punt Return: Jerry is leaving some big shoes to fill. He had the job forever and was damn good at it. I think the consensus among all of us though is that Sulser will take his spot. He backed up Jerry last season before he got hurt, but it’s the logical choice. Maybe Flowers???

Punter: Adam Wilson was a freak last year, and he’s gonna be very tough to replace because we don’t have much other options. Buschini??? He’s pretty good but super young. Other then him, I don’t even know who else we have on the roster.

Kicker: Purdy left the team to take a job at Goldman Sachs (can’t really blame him), I’d just like to see a kicker use their full eligibility cause he was very good last season. Is Peppenger still on the roster? Can that Ole Miss kid win the job? I’ll go with him.

Kick return: Flowers, obviously

Agree, disagree? Any objections?

Peppenger still on roster and would have good chance at kicking duties I’d guess.

Flowers gonna be a kick ass kick returner again.

They are high on Buschini and his punting leg

I could see Sulser returning kicks with Flowers and maybe at punt return too.

Wasn’t Dewalters a dang good kick and punt returner, too. Maybe he will be back there.

And let’s not forget, we have the all American long snapper in THE O.D.

I agree that there are undoubtably shoes to fill, but I feel confident in the talent we have on deck (could honestly see a true freshmen like Drew Deck step up big and take on punt returns, in the end Sulser seems like an obvious candidate).

Special teams seems to be an emphasis with Hauck so I’m comfortable in saying that the staff will be able to put together a solid ST squad.

While there is a lot of big things going in the world, it’s nice to take a step back and think about the team!

RainierGriz said:
I agree that there are undoubtably shoes to fill, but I feel confident in the talent we have on deck (could honestly see a true freshmen like Drew Deck step up big and take on punt returns, in the end Sulser seems like an obvious candidate).

Special teams seems to be an emphasis with Hauck so I’m comfortable in saying that the staff will be able to put together a solid ST squad.

While there is a lot of big things going in the world, it’s nice to take a step back and think about the team!

Drew Deck will be redshirting this year. Gabe Sulser has recovered extremely well and will be a nightmare come the fall.

While non of them are elite sprinters, none ran below a 11 second 100, JLM, Sulser and Flowers are as fast as s you will usually find on an FCS field.

JLM (exhausted eligibility of course) and Sulser are perfect for punt return because their low to the ground stature and numerous quick twitch fibers allow them to to be extremely quick (change of direction)...and posses speed as well.

Flowers is ideal for kick return because of his weight/strength and straight line speed that you want returning kicks.

And non of that matters if they aren't fearless. Good thing they don't know what the word fear means. 👍

Amazing athletes!

Like mentioned above, DeWaters might get looks over the next 4 years on ST.

2018 AA first-team all-state punt returner …

It's a given that 3 star, true freshman AARON
FONTES, with his speed and Colorado State offer, will be looked at to return kicks in the future...

Sounds like punting will be Buschini and will be between Peppenger, the Ole Miss transfer and Carver Gilman for kicking duties. Don’t look past Hunter Allen who could also help return maybe even a little Xavier Harris or Autjoe Soe back there too.

It won't happen because of the perceived greater chance of injury and he's too valuable to the offense, but I think Samori Toure would be a good punt returner.

For a punt returner:
-you want someone with good, reliable hands first of all (CHECK)

-you want someone that's intelligent and makes good decisions
(as a senior he's not going to get overwhelmed by any situation and also wouldn't feel the need to take unnecessary risks to make a name for himself like some freshmen might...at the same time, he has shown willingness and toughness in getting extra YAC, as well)

-speed is good but elusiveness is more essential
(how Samori sets CBs up with his footwork and hips off the line of scrimmage has gained NFL scouts' attention; he has also shown good field vision on the quick slants against Weber, for example, as he angled away from the crashing safety; he also accelerates very quickly to top end speed when he does have an opening)

It would also help his NFL chances if he has that special teams versatility on his resume. Getting more players not only in the NFL but to stick helps the program's image and future recruitment, as well.

My memory could be wrong, but I thought they also tried to save Mariani from punt returns in '09. But then in desperation time in the South Dakota State game (after he had returned a kickoff for a TD), they used him and he came up big with a return from Montana's side of the field down to the redzone to set up another score. Got to play your best players.

DoubleNicks said:
It won't happen because of the perceived greater chance of injury and he's too valuable to the offense, but I think Samori Toure would be a good punt returner.

For a punt returner:
-you want someone with good, reliable hands first of all (CHECK)

-you want someone that's intelligent and makes good decisions
(as a senior he's not going to get overwhelmed by any situation and also wouldn't feel the need to take unnecessary risks to make a name for himself like some freshmen might...at the same time, he has shown willingness and toughness in getting extra YAC, as well)

-speed is good but elusiveness is more essential
(how Samori sets CBs up with his footwork and hips off the line of scrimmage has gained NFL scouts' attention; he has also shown good field vision on the quick slants against Weber, for example, as he angled away from the crashing safety; he also accelerates very quickly to top end speed when he does have an opening)

It would also help his NFL chances if he has that special teams versatility on his resume. Getting more players not only in the NFL but to stick helps the program's image and future recruitment, as well.

My memory could be wrong, but I thought they also tried to save Mariani from punt returns in '09. But then in desperation time in the South Dakota State game (after he had returned a kickoff for a TD), they used him and he came up big with a return from Montana's side of the field down to the redzone to set up another score. Got to play your best players.
Agree, put guy who has the best chance to score out there, that’s the point. IMO

grizfan1984 said:
Sounds like punting will be Buschini and will be between Peppenger, the Ole Miss transfer and Carver Gilman for kicking duties. Don’t look past Hunter Allen who could also help return maybe even a little Xavier Harris or Autjoe Soe back there too.

OMG Peppinger? I watched him in warm-ups last year and he was awful. He does not have a big leg or accurate either, I made fun of him he was so inept. We gotta have a better option than him.

Zirg said:
grizfan1984 said:

OMG Peppinger? I watched him in warm-ups last year and he was awful. He does not have a big leg or accurate either, I made fun of him he was so inept. We gotta have a better option than him.

Well maybe he got better but there is the redshirt freshman from Whitefish named Carter Gilman that reportedly has a big leg but a bit raw then there is the reported walk on that transferred from Ole Miss in Jack Cooper but he’s yet to be officially announced. He also didn’t really play at Ole Miss but did play at a juco. Definitely is a question mark though

dayday said:
Zirg said:

Well maybe he got better but there is the redshirt freshman from Whitefish named Carter Gilman that reportedly has a big leg but a bit raw then there is the reported walk on that transferred from Ole Miss in Jack Cooper but he’s yet to be officially announced. He also didn’t really play at Ole Miss but did play at a juco. Definitely is a question mark though

Carver (sic) Gilman played 4 positions and seems like a great athlete (6'4") that could excel anywhere, but really wants to be a kicker and without ever seeing him kick personally, I am on board with him (eventually). He could probably use a year or 2 getting better in warm-ups (hehe), but may be forced into action immediately. His hs career long of 49 yards surpasses Peppinger's long of 44 at MSU in 2 yrs.

Peppinger also only had 11 touchbacks in 33 tries in 2 yrs at MSU. He is "worst case scenario" only, IMO unless he has dramatically improved.

Jack Cooper was the 3rd or 4th option at Ole Miss one year but never stepped on the field. I can't find any JC records for him. I'd love to see them if anyone can find them.

Zirg said:
dayday said:

Carver (sic) Gilman played 4 positions and seems like a great athlete (6'4") that could excel anywhere, but really wants to be a kicker and without ever seeing him kick personally, I am on board with him (eventually). He could probably use a year or 2 getting better in warm-ups (hehe), but may be forced into action immediately. His hs career long of 49 yards surpasses Peppinger's long of 44 at MSU in 2 yrs.

Peppinger also only had 11 touchbacks in 33 tries in 2 yrs at MSU. He is "worst case scenario" only, IMO unless he has dramatically improved.

Jack Cooper was the 3rd or 4th option at Ole Miss one year but never stepped on the field. I can't find any JC records for him. I'd love to see them if anyone can find them.

Peppenger is a pretty good kicker, and he kicked fairly well as a starter at MSU his frosh and soph years.

13-20 in FG's, with long of 44. He's fairly accurate on shorter kicks, so consistent from that range,.

42-42 in extra points. Way better the UM kickers in recent years.

19 touchbacks in 61 kickoffs. By comparison, Wilson did have considerably more.

2 out of bounds. By comparison, Wilson had 1 last year and 4 the year before.

Averaged 60 on kickoffs. By comparison, Wilson averaged 60.2 last year, and had lots of touchbacks.

Back