• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers?

WestonMicah

This article is worth reading. The stats are more clearly presented.

"The Montana University System’s flagship school has seen declining enrollment since a record high point in Fall 2011, with the current figures showing a nearly 35% decline in total student headcount since then.

The total headcount of students, including all levels of students on the main campus, as well as at Missoula College, now sits at 10,247.

The present overall number is now smaller than UM’s undergraduate enrollment peak in Fall 2010, according to that semester’s census day report, when it counted 10,891 undergrads. As of the census report released Tuesday, the number of undergraduate students nearly halved, dropping 47% to 5,789.

Between Fall 2013 and Fall 2019, MSU saw a 28% jump in out-of-state students, who bring in considerably more tuition revenue than in-state students. At the same time, UM’s out-of-state enrollment fell just over 12%.

[Note that MSU has been offsetting a lightly lower in-state enrollment with a huge increase in out-of-state enrollment.]And while MSU’s in-state students fell slightly, UM’s dropped by more than 30%.

Undergraduates have been hit the hardest since enrollment began falling nearly a decade ago, with the Chronicle of Higher Education reporting last semester that UM has lost more undergrads than any other public flagship in the country this decade.https://19216811.cam https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl

https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-attracts-out-of-state-students-but-overall-enrollment-still-falling/article_16bcc204-8246-537c-8f19-bb506eb47594.amp.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_missoulian&__twitter_impression=true

“The University of Montana saw a 7.3% drop in enrollment between last spring and this spring“

WestonMicah said:

"The Montana University System’s flagship school has seen declining enrollment since a record high point in Fall 2011, with the current figures showing a nearly 35% decline in total student headcount since then.

The total headcount of students, including all levels of students on the main campus, as well as at Missoula College, now sits at 10,247.

The present overall number is now smaller than UM’s undergraduate enrollment peak in Fall 2010, according to that semester’s census day report, when it counted 10,891 undergrads. As of the census report released Tuesday, the number of undergraduate students nearly halved, dropping 47% to 5,789.

Between Fall 2013 and Fall 2019, MSU saw a 28% jump in out-of-state students, who bring in considerably more tuition revenue than in-state students. At the same time, UM’s out-of-state enrollment fell just over 12%.

[Note that MSU has been offsetting a lightly lower in-state enrollment with a huge increase in out-of-state enrollment.]And while MSU’s in-state students fell slightly, UM’s dropped by more than 30%.

Undergraduates have been hit the hardest since enrollment began falling nearly a decade ago, with the Chronicle of Higher Education reporting last semester that UM has lost more undergrads than any other public flagship in the country this decade.https://19216811.cam https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl

Wow, how low can it go? These drops coupled with the revenue losses due to the pandemic is a disaster. What effect will this have on the athletic dept budget? I thought Bodnar would turn it around. He must be feeling some pressure.

bigsky33 said:
WestonMicah said:

Wow, how low can it go? These drops coupled with the revenue losses due to the pandemic is a disaster. What effect will this have on the athletic dept budget? I thought Bodnar would turn it around. He must be feeling some pressure.

Low.
Bad.

And yet the majority of e-griz posters continue to be obsessed about the hiring process associated with the Bobcat head football coach. Better get your head out of your butt and take some notice about the situation at home and the hiring process that resulted in Bodner. Sad

Every single post in this thread with the exception of AZ is a cat troll :roll: go figure!

Regardless, let’s take a look at the trends. Obviously the enrollment was gonna drop because of the pandemic, it dropped at msu too. The two things that stood out to me that were encouraging were increased out-of-state enrollment, which I think is a major positive and UM needs to continue to target out of state kids at a much higher level. The other was a continued increase in student retention. I also liked how the UM spokesperson made it sound like we’re close to finally seeing an overall increase. Pre-pandemic, I had actually heard that UM’s enrollment was projected to go up and it’s unfortunate that the world had other plans. I’m hopeful and feel confident that next years enrollment will go up cause I believe the right measures are in place now. I think we’re very close and hopefully on the other side of this pandemic, our enrollment will begin to go up.

Griz til I die said:
Every single post in this thread with the exception of AZ is a cat troll :roll: go figure!

Regardless, let’s take a look at the trends. Obviously the enrollment was gonna drop because of the pandemic, it dropped at msu too. The two things that stood out to me that were encouraging were increased out-of-state enrollment, which I think is a major positive and UM needs to continue to target out of state kids at a much higher level. The other was a continued increase in student retention. I also liked how the UM spokesperson made it sound like we’re close to finally seeing an overall increase. Pre-pandemic, I had actually heard that UM’s enrollment was projected to go up and it’s unfortunate that the world had other plans. I’m hopeful and feel confident that next years enrollment will go up cause I believe the right measures are in place now. I think we’re very close and hopefully on the other side of this pandemic, our enrollment will begin to go up.

Biggest undergrad enrollment drop in the Country. You guys are number 1. That is a huge drop to overcome. Good to see your optimism, but there will be a lot of fall- out before things improve enough.

Griz til I die said:

Regarding increase in non residents. It looks like first spring semester first time freshmen jumped from 14 in 2020 to 19 this year for a 35.7% increase.

Overall non-resident enrollment went from 1,942 in 2020 to 1,850 in 2021. For a non-resident decline of 4.7%.

sdk.catfish said:
And yet the majority of e-griz posters continue to be obsessed about the hiring process associated with the Bobcat head football coach. Better get your head out of your butt and take some notice about the situation at home and the hiring process that resulted in Bodner. Sad

We all have our obsessions. Your seems to be UM enrollment.

wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

Regarding increase in non residents. It looks like first spring semester first time freshmen jumped from 14 in 2020 to 19 this year for a 35.7% increase.

Overall non-resident enrollment went from 1,942 in 2020 to 1,850 in 2021. For a non-resident decline of 4.7%.
Oh my fault. I must’ve misread it. I just want this dropping enrollment nightmare to end.

griznative24 said:
Bodnar gonna age a ton in 2021. Not really sure how the university can get out of this.

It is hard to get out of because it requires really hard decisions to be made that will turn the enrollment around. Get some degrees and programs that meet the needs of the next generation. Trim fat and market better. Bodnar has done some of that, but make no mistake - he inherited a mess. Goes back past Engstrom and there was clearly a lack of vision. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can go up. I just hope the U of M is close to that point. MSU fans are hilarious. Don’t buy in to their chicken little stories. The U of M isn’t going anywhere and over time things will turn around.

Copper Griz said:
griznative24 said:
Bodnar gonna age a ton in 2021. Not really sure how the university can get out of this.

It is hard to get out of because it requires really hard decisions to be made that will turn the enrollment around. Get some degrees and programs that meet the needs of the next generation. Trim fat and market better. Bodnar has done some of that, but make no mistake - he inherited a mess. Goes back past Engstrom and there was clearly a lack of vision. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can go up. I just hope the U of M is close to that point. MSU fans are hilarious. Don’t buy in to their chicken little stories. The U of M isn’t going anywhere and over time things will turn around.

how many years are you general electric lovers going to blame what happened a decade ago for what's happening now? can't you just maybe admit that your golden boy is a smidge worse than you thought? or your copper boy, in this case...

argh! said:
Copper Griz said:

how many years are you general electric lovers going to blame what happened a decade ago for what's happening now? can't you just maybe admit that your golden boy is a smidge worse than you thought? or your copper boy, in this case...
I’m gonna cut him some slack this year because of the pandemic, but within the next 2 years I wanna see it go up.

When I enrolled at UM in the late 70's, virtually every political office, state and federal, were held by Democrats. Two Senators and one of two Representatives, Governor and most elected officials, and both houses of the Legislature controlled by Democrats. Unions were big in Montana. Extraction jobs at unions wages were all over the state, and union officials had significant clout. The people had just passed the most progressive (liberal) state constitution in the nations. The Viet Nam war was not long over and UM was the center of war resistance. UM was the Harvard of the West with an impressive record of Rhode Scholars. MSU was a cow town where hippies were beat up on a regular basis. It was really a joke of an Ag college posing as a University.

Montana demographics has drastically changed. Liberal Democratic environmental policies killed the extraction industries and the union jobs that went with it. As the computer age dawned MSU grabbed hold, especially the engineering arts. As the smaller colleges were divvied out to the flagship U's, MSU started adding duplicate programs in teaching, nursing, and business.

The point is as Montana demographics changed and the business landscape evolved, MSU adapted and UM held on to it's snobbish liberal arts sceptor. Is it any wonder Daines, Gianforte and Chris Nelson all developed their companies in the Gallatin Valley? Living now in one of the smaller counties in this state I can tell you there are still lots of older UM fans, but most people see UM as a place your kids go to get indoctrinated in political thought the parents' vehemently disagree with. Perception is reality and the job Gwen did turned the flat or downward enrollment trickle to a downpour. And given no one at UM seems to know how to use social media too turn that image around, this is deep hole that will stay that way for the foreseeable future. It doesn't help that we are an aging population as well.

argh! said:
Copper Griz said:

I would recommend getting rid of Bodnar but what better choice is there? No one wants to inherent this mess. Just have to hope Bonar can turn it around somehow.

griznative24 said:
argh! said:

I would recommend getting rid of Bodnar but what better choice is there? No one wants to inherent this mess. Just have to hope Bonar can turn it around somehow.

good point. the task of pulling um out of this mess seems to be being made tougher and tougher. i also agree with those who recommend that the university start adding majors that the younger generation actually want. in addition, i've stated on here many times the problematic nature of tenure, and how it results in a lot of expensive, unproductive professors, especially those with appointment that call for a lot of time for research, even though they long ago quit doing serious or good research. also, there is so much cronyism and corruption at universities. a lot of it intertwines with the tenure problem, as universities often hire couples, and wind up with two dead weight professors, which denies more qualified candidates jobs, etc etc... i could go on, but many have already read my opinions on the subject of how universities are run, so i'll stop here.

argh! said:
Copper Griz said:

I have no affinity for Bodnar, but you aren’t going to rebuild Rome in a day. This is going to take more time than a couple of years. I don’t see U of M starting from square one and yielding better results. Bodnar has his hands full and so would whoever replaced him. The post about tech in the Gallatin Valley and the perception of UM with liberal arts is spot on. Didn’t happen overnight people. Not going to get fixed overnight either.

Copper Griz said:
argh! said:

I have no affinity for Bodnar, but you aren’t going to rebuild Rome in a day. This is going to take more time than a couple of years. I don’t see U of M starting from square one and yielding better results. Bodnar has his hands full and so would whoever replaced him. The post about tech in the Gallatin Valley and the perception of UM with liberal arts is spot on. Didn’t happen overnight people. Not going to qget fixed overnight either.

Copper you are right on with opinion/observations. Liberal arts schools are facing significant headwinds as well as the financial, operational burdens from pandemic from hell. Add in diminishing financial support from our state and you have a perfect storm. Bodner no personal favorite of mine, but given the challenges, I think he has fared better than I would of prognosticated.

first11 said:
Copper Griz said:
I have no affinity for Bodnar, but you aren’t going to rebuild Rome in a day. This is going to take more time than a couple of years. I don’t see U of M starting from square one and yielding better results. Bodnar has his hands full and so would whoever replaced him. The post about tech in the Gallatin Valley and the perception of UM with liberal arts is spot on. Didn’t happen overnight people. Not going to qget fixed overnight either.

Copper you are right on with opinion/observations. Liberal arts schools are facing significant headwinds as well as the financial, operational burdens from pandemic from hell. Add in diminishing financial support from our state and you have a perfect storm. Bodner no personal favorite of mine, but given the challenges, I think he has fared better than I would of prognosticated.
:thumb: You and horribilisfan8184 summed up the issues nicely F11. It sucks and there is no need to sugar coat it.
Personally I am happy to see MSU have strong enrollment. It really isn’t a damn competition. More Montana kids getting educated is a great thing. More out of state tuition dollars is a great thing. I hope all Montana institutions do well. To take joy in low enrollment numbers for any of our higher education institutions is asinine. I want all of them to prosper. I just enjoy it when the Griz beat MSU at everything and anything sports related. Now that really is a competition.

Back