• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Ball question

LDopaPDX

Hey all... Eastern fan here with a question.

The Big Sky has canceled all Spring sports thru 5/15 (maybe longer). I assume Montana's spring ball is effectively killed at this point. Have any of you heard what the plan is? Obviously, with schools in warmer areas doing their Spring practices much earlier, the lack of Spring ball in the NW really hurts our programs in this neck of the woods compared to programs in, say, the Southeast.

I heard some rumors that the NCAA will allow schools that didn't participate in Spring practices to be given a waiver to start Fall practice 2-3 weeks earlier than usual. This is still an issue because it would have to involve limited contact as teams would be concerned about early injuries. Given Eastern's recent history of being decimated by injuries by the middle of September, this is probably a bigger issue with our program than others.

Well we actually managed to get a few practices in before all hell broke loose. I think we got about 5 practices in, but that’s be cool if the NCAA decide to do that and let us finish.

Griz til I die said:
Well we actually managed to get a few practices in before all hell broke loose. I think we got about 5 practices in, but that’s be cool if the NCAA decide to do that and let us finish.

Well, the NCAA would have to do something to level the playing field for programs that didn’t get Spring practices in. Of course, all of this is assuming the schedule for 2020 is played as scheduled, which is likely but not necessarily a given.

LDopaPDX said:
Hey all... Eastern fan here with a question.

The Big Sky has canceled all Spring sports thru 5/15 (maybe longer). I assume Montana's spring ball is effectively killed at this point. Have any of you heard what the plan is? Obviously, with schools in warmer areas doing their Spring practices much earlier, the lack of Spring ball in the NW really hurts our programs in this neck of the woods compared to programs in, say, the Southeast.

I heard some rumors that the NCAA will allow schools that didn't participate in Spring practices to be given a waiver to start Fall practice 2-3 weeks earlier than usual. This is still an issue because it would have to involve limited contact as teams would be concerned about early injuries. Given Eastern's recent history of being decimated by injuries by the middle of September, this is probably a bigger issue with our program than others.

I thought spring sports were cancelled, and practices and workouts were cancelled to April 3 and then later May 15?

I think the NCAA should loosen up a lot of stuff, including for football and practice and funding the additional and new costs.

Thanks for providing your info.

Griz til I die said:

I believe half of spring ball occurred. Then, the team went to Mexico. Ha.

Back