• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Revamped UM Student Recruitment

PlayerRep

After seeing discussion on this subject, and multiple complaints, in various other threads, I did some looking. I thought I'd start a new thread for what I learned and discussion.

Many of you know, and know first hand, that UM's recruiting and enrollment was lacking and broken for many years.

When Bodnar became president, and hired Cathy Cole 18 months ago, it was apparent that things were not functioning on the enrollment or communication side of UM. After initial assessment, it was determined that it would be best to start over and rebuild UM's enrollment management operation and rewrite, redesign and redeploy all marketing and communication efforts.

The program is now data and tech-driven. All students in MT and and select markets in the US and outside the US are being targeted. UM is re-engaging with the student counselor community in MT. The new program is high touch. There is a Student Enrollment Communication Center for inbound and outbound communications.

The changes are in process, but this large effort won't happen overnight. Undoing and rebuilding systems at the same time is time-intensive and not easy, without losing momentum. Substantial process has been made and there is much more to come.

The Enrollment Management Office at UM was not adhering to best practices. As a result, the offices that make up enrollment management — admissions, financial aid and evaluations - have been restructured, and processes and systems rebuilt from the bottom up.

New strategies have been put into place that have taken into account limited resources coupled with huge enthusiasm. UM believes it has begun making significant gains in its target markets.

Not all marketing and communication efforts are visible, and many of UM'S efforts are targeting to 16- and 17-year-olds who live on their screens. UM is now communicating with them — about 50-60 times per year on average — and double that on social media.

Considerable resources are being put into all this. However, the budget is not unlimited.

Sounds like Bodnar identified the problem, and is now working the problem, while rebuilding the program, or I should say starting a program that didnt really exist. Sounds positive.

What does "high touch" mean?

You say the enrollment management dept. was not following best practices, so what were they doing exactly? And were or are the people responsible for managing that dept being reprimanded or replaced?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Sounds like Bodnar identified the problem, and is now working the problem, while rebuilding the program, or I should say starting a program that didnt really exist. Sounds positive.

You say the enrollment management dept. was not following best practices, so what were they doing exactly? And were or are the people responsible for managing that dept being reprimanded or replaced?

My mind immediately goes to Choach's MILF camp, but that can't be what PR is talking about...

BadlandsGrizFan said:

I assume high touch means the multiple contacts, involving mail, phone, social media, in-person, etc. Note the high number of times they are trying to reach 16 and 17 year old students.

Don't know answer to your last question. Except that, from reading the newspaper, it looked like all of at least the top part of that group was replaced. Don't know how big the group is.

PlayerRep said:
After seeing discussion on this subject, and multiple complaints, in various other threads, I did some looking. I thought I'd start a new thread for what I learned and discussion.

Many of you know, and know first hand, that UM's recruiting and enrollment was lacking and broken for many years.

When Bodnar became president, and hired Cathy Cole 18 months ago, it was apparent that things were not functioning on the enrollment or communication side of UM. After initial assessment, it was determined that it would be best to start over and rebuild UM's enrollment management operation and rewrite, redesign and redeploy all marketing and communication efforts.

The program is now data and tech-driven. All students in MT and and select markets in the US and outside the US are being targeted. UM is re-engaging with the student counselor community in MT. The new program is high touch. There is a Student Enrollment Communication Center for inbound and outbound communications.

The changes are in process, but this large effort won't happen overnight. Undoing and rebuilding systems at the same time is time-intensive and not easy, without losing momentum. Substantial process has been made and there is much more to come.

The Enrollment Management Office at UM was not adhering to best practices. As a result, the offices that make up enrollment management — admissions, financial aid and evaluations - have been restructured, and processes and systems rebuilt from the bottom up.

New strategies have been put into place that have taken into account limited resources coupled with huge enthusiasm. UM believes it has begun making significant gains in its target markets.

Not all marketing and communication efforts are visible, and many of UM'S efforts are targeting to 16- and 17-year-olds who live on their screens. UM is now communicating with them — about 50-60 times per year on average — and double that on social media.

Considerable resources are being put into all this. However, the budget is not unlimited.

That's a really good, thorough update. I'm wondering what they are seeing in terms outcomes thus far. I assume apps, admits, and housing deposits are all significantly up from last year at this time?

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

That's a really good, thorough update. I'm wondering what they are seeing in terms outcomes thus far. I assume apps, admits, and housing deposits are all significantly up from last year at this time?

What I'm hearing is that no one will even apply to MSU in a few years. Things are going that well.

"What I'm hearing is that no one will even apply to MSU in a few years. Things are going that well."

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

PlayerRep said:

This is very encouraging; too bad we lost that time with the first hire.

This is great news. Should never have taken 18 months though...half that, max. In the process we’ve gotten to absolute crisis levels of enrollment and budget disasters.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

"High touch" is above the waist. Biden will be guest lecturer.

MTOutsider said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

"High touch" is above the waist. Biden will be guest lecturer.
On "Super Thursday."

reinell30 said:
This is what happens when you put a military man in charge!

my cat could have identified the problems as well as bodnar, they weren't exactly hidden. and none of what bodnar is doing now is any different than what universities have been doing since circa 2005. what are the results so far? a small increase in retention? that's easy enough, just pressure instructors to not fail anybody. get back to me with the bodnar loving after there has been an actual improvement in enrollment.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

This is very encouraging; too bad we lost that time with the first hire.

interesting to see the use of "we" from mr. team-player himself.

As I stated elsewhere... I rarly see any advertising from UM in the Flathead valley.

Kittens, Mt Tech, Western... yes. Crap I even heard 1 radio ad from Rocky Mountain college.

UM... nope, seems as though they just assume all kids in western montana will only chose UM.

With roughly 1000 student graduating each year up here, Bodner needs to get this fixed.

argh! said:
reinell30 said:

my cat could have identified the problems as well as bodnar, they weren't exactly hidden. and none of what bodnar is doing now is any different than what universities have been doing since circa 2005. what are the results so far? a small increase in retention? that's easy enough, just pressure instructors to not fail anybody. get back to me with the bodnar loving after there has been an actual improvement in enrollment.

"The less he understands something, the more firmly he believes in it." -Wilhelm Reich

argh! said:
reinell30 said:

Sounds like your cat would have been a better president than Engstrom, though that's not a huge compliment for your cat.

argh! said:
reinell30 said:

I consulted my dog. She said the following:

Strategic Enrollment Management practices have changed dramatically since 2005. So has social media. UM is working to be one of the leaders in the industry. That is being done as the infrastructure and processes are being changed and fixed.

UM is seeing small, steady increases in enrollment growth. Applications are up almost 10 percent over where they were this time last year. Admits are also up slightly. UM expects those trends to continue. Small, steady progress is being made and is expected to continue over the next few years. The decline occurred over multiple years, and the recovery will also take time. UM believes the right processes are in place. The University is excited and moving forward.

ranco said:
argh! said:
reinell30 said:

Sounds like your cat would have been a better president than Engstrom, though that's not a huge compliment for your cat.

oh, way better than engstrom. and note, i have never said bodnar is bad, but rather i'd wait until there is solid evidence he is good at the job.

Back