• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS to the Super Bowl

IdaGriz01

Haley saved me some trouble. He checked out the Super Bowl rosters to see how many former FCS players might appear in the next Super Bowl.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200119214420695630204

His list does include reserve players who might be activated, and two players who played FCS football before their teams (Appalachian State and Georgia Southern) moved up. With those provisos, he found 17 former FCS players, including two from the Big Sky. Not bad!

Add: Be interesting to see how many of these guys were actually drafted. I know Garoppolo was, but don't know about any of the others. Might be something to check out.

EverettGriz said:
"How bout those CHIEEEEEEEEEEEFS!!!!"
How about those NINERS!!! :clap:

Have to admit, a half-century away from the SB for the Chiefs is pretty grim. :eek: But it got UGLY in San Francisco for awhile too.

How can a lowly second rate division, ie FCS, produce so many NFL players and Super Bowl participants?

Nobody watches or has heard of FCS. Why would any good player go to those schools? Why would NFL scouts even bother to scout them?

PlayerRep said:
How can a lowly second rate division, ie FCS, produce so many NFL players and Super Bowl participants?

Nobody watches or has heard of FCS. Why would any good player go to those schools? Why would NFL scouts even bother to scout them?
:thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I watched Persons a bit yesterday. He is very good. Not only did he not miss a block when I was watching, but had almost perfect position and leverage on each block. Was especially good on run plays.

PlayerRep said:
I watched Persons a bit yesterday. He is very good. Not only did he not miss a block when I was watching, but had almost perfect position and leverage on each block. Was especially good on run plays.
He would not be a mainstay of that OL if he wasn't very good. They use him on traps a lot because he is so more mobile than the typical 330 lb NFL guards.

Well, I finally got a bit of time so I looked up how the guys got to the NFL. Hopefully, it’s all good … all but two or three came from Wikipedia. Turns out, nearly half, 8 of the 17, were Undrafted Free Agents (UFA). No first-round draft choices (they were FCS, of course), but three from the second round.
Code:
Ronald Blair III	2016 round 5, 49ers
Kendrick Bourne		2017 UFA, 49ers
Alex Brown		2019 UFA, 49ers
Ross Dwelley		2018 UFA, 49ers
Jimmy Garoppolo		2014 round 2, Patriots
Kyle Juszczyk 		2013 round 4, Ravens
Tanoh Kpassagnon	2017 round 2, Chiefs
Anthony Lanier		2016 UFA, Redskins
Andrew Lauderdale	2017 UFA, Saints
John Lovett		2019 UFA, Chiefs
Marcus Marshall		2019 UFA, Chiefs
Jerick McKinnon		2014 round 3, Vikings
Mike Person		2011 round 7, 49ers
Khalen Saunders		2019 round 3, Chiefs
Greg Sena		2018 round 6, Ravens
Jaquiski Tartt		2015 round 2, 49ers
Xavier Williams		2015 UFA, Cardinals

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
He would not be a mainstay of that OL if he wasn't very good. They use him on traps a lot because he is so more mobile than the typical 330 lb NFL guards.

Watched a short video of him working out, he looks more like a everyday big guy you might walk by on the street. He plays with technique and leverage. Excited to see him play in the SB. Seems like there has been a player from the Big Sky in the SB for the last few years. Kupp was hurt but on the Rams, Coyle, Fletcher, I'm missing more, impressive for FCS football.

FTG247365 said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Watched a short video of him working out, he looks more like a everyday big guy you might walk by on the street. He plays with technique and leverage. Excited to see him play in the SB. Seems like there has been a player from the Big Sky in the SB for the last few years. Kupp was hurt but on the Rams, Coyle, Fletcher, I'm missing more, impressive for FCS football.

Kupp was hurt last year but EWU's Samson Ebukam (linebacker) played in the Super Bowl for the Rams. And EWU's Aaron Neary (back up lineman) traveled with the team (Rams). And as noted above, EWU's Kendrick Bourne (WR) will play in this year's Super Bowl. Bourne has been on fire the last month or so. I expect him to get some big touches in the big game.

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
FTG247365 said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Kupp was hurt last year but EWU's Samson Ebukam (linebacker) played in the Super Bowl for the Rams. And EWU's Aaron Neary (back up lineman) traveled with the team (Rams). And as noted above, EWU's Kendrick Bourne (WR) will play in this year's Super Bowl. Bourne has been on fire the last month or so. I expect him to get some big touches in the big game.

I don't watch a lot of NFL until the playoffs, was surprised to see Bourne, (I had no idea where he wound up) he was making some big plays just like he used to back at EWU :thumb:

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
FTG247365 said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

I forgot about Bourne, cause him and Kupp and Ebukam, graduated he same year, right? Lots of talent that year for EWU.

They did. You're right. Had a few other guys from that class (the aforementioned Neary being one) move through some NFL camps too.

Bourne was the 49ers leading WR last season. And this year all he did was catch TDs and first downs. The 49ers have been a wasteland of WR talent the last decade. Check this weird stat out. https://twitter.com/KyleAMadson/status/1205167640274059264

Back