• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Native American - Native Montanan?

Dillon

In the Missoulian they came up with best athlete from all over Montana & in another thread I was reading about the best Native American athletes so thought it would be fun to list top 5 or more best athletes in three categories in any sport. Montana Native American, USA Native American & Montana born or raised (any race). So I will start with what I know.
Montana born or raised (any race)
1. Pat Donovan
2. Wayne Estes
3. Sam McCullum
4. Larry Krystkowiak
5. Dave Dickenson
6. Ryan Leaf

Jess Lockwood should probably be on here....hes been the best at what he does in the world for the last 3 years.

Also any list without PlayaRep is BS

pretty sure Sam McCullum did not move to Montana until he was about 14 or 15 or so. Not sure if that makes him a native or not at least by Hawaiian rules :). I see you did state raised so I agree.
probably a lot of rodeo people on the list no doubt.

the wrestler Gene Davis needs a mention. Marvin Camel another.

That kid from Hot Springs that was so good in track, can't think of his name. Did everything but wasan olympic spear chucker.
Ramos was pretty good.
Man there are a lot greats.

Todd Foster. Certainly qualifies in the the best boxer/football player category. CMR player.

I'm still waiting for the best football players who were raised in MT.

PlayerRep said:
Todd Foster. Certainly qualifies in the the best boxer/football player category. CMR player.

I'm still waiting for the best football players who were raised in MT.

I thought Pat Donovan might fit the bill as the best. Marc Mariani, Blaine Mcelmurry and Tim H. oh heck lots of good Montana talent.

Kramer was as good as they come. NFL HOF. I once got to hit against McNally in Legion ball; it was not a treat. I would add Dwan Edwards to the list. 2nd round draftee, 12 years in the NFL.

Dave McNally was a great baseball player and a wonderful person. After he retired in Billings, he often played tennis with my son at the Yellowstone Racquet Club. My son was young at the time, maybe 13 or 14. They would sit and have long visits after playing.

There may have been some unbelievable talent worthy of being on such a list that competed in the first half of the last century, but starting in the 60's the names mentioned are worthy of the status. Having had the opportunity to watch Pat Donovan first hand over several years in Montana, and considering his Stanford and pro career, there may have been equals but its tough to ID anyone better.

Back