• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is a Luau a meal or entertainment?

Brother Bear

Probably best discussed on the next podcast, but interesting website with info and requests from schools for clarification. This got me thinking of our own "Hot-dog gate" and the NCAA. :roll: Bravo NCAA

The Intercollegiate has published interpretation requests from 91 departments, including a situation at Hawaii where clarification was needed on if a luau was a meal or entertainment (or both).

Answer: "As the event is both a meal and entertainment, the analysis should focus on what is the purpose of the event. For example, is the event primarily for entertainment but food is served? Or is the event primarily for a meal and entertainment will simply occur while the meal is consumed?"

https://theintercollegiate.com/ncaa-interpretation-requests

Let me take a stab at this less than serious thread. It is an event designed to separate the guests from as much money as possible in one afternoon/evening. Most have numerous activities such as face painting, grease pen tattoos, palm tree climbing demonstrations, coconut splitting, and of course Mai Tais for everyone of age, all before the first main event of taking the pig out of the pit. Given that they try to get you to eat the traditional "Poi", which, like glue paste, cannot reasonably be consider food, and the evening show lasts well past the serving and clearing of the pork and macaroni salad, it has to be considered entertainment. Not to mention they are billed on many websites as "luau shows." So naturally, the NCAA will rule its food.

EverettGriz said:
Having been to one, I'd be hard-pressed to call it either.

you have not been to the right one then. I have been to several and a couple had excellent food and great entertainment. We found this was a get what you pay for deal.

...it's all fun and games...
...until the make you...
...the coconut tits...

... :shock: ...

horribilisfan8184 said:
Let me take a stab at this less than serious thread. It is an event designed to separate the guests from as much money as possible in one afternoon/evening. Most have numerous activities such as face painting, grease pen tattoos, palm tree climbing demonstrations, coconut splitting, and of course Mai Tais for everyone of age, all before the first main event of taking the pig out of the pit. Given that they try to get you to eat the traditional "Poi", which, like glue paste, cannot reasonably be consider food, and the evening show lasts well past the serving and clearing of the pork and macaroni salad, it has to be considered entertainment. Not to mention they are billed on many websites as "luau shows." So naturally, the NCAA will rule its food.

What, no spam !

retiredpopo said:
EverettGriz said:

you have not been to the right one then. I have been to several and a couple had excellent food and great entertainment. We found this was a get what you pay for deal.
I've been in Hawaii for a long time, and been to just about every luau on the island of Oahu. None have ever had "excellent" food. The food is invariably high school cafeteria quality, and the shows vary from boring to pretty fun based almost entirely on how many mai tais one consumes. Ironically, the Polynesian Cultural Center has the best show, but being hosted by the Mormon church is significantly under-lubricated.

SubGriz said:
retiredpopo said:
EverettGriz said:

I've been in Hawaii for a long time, and been to just about every luau on the island of Oahu. None have ever had "excellent" food. The food is invariably high school cafeteria quality, and the shows vary from boring to pretty fun based almost entirely on how many mai tais one consumes. Ironically, the Polynesian Cultural Center has the best show, but being hosted by the Mormon church is significantly under-lubricated.

I suppose we all have different tastes in both food and entertainment. But man if your schools cafeteria has food as good as the Feast at Mokapu luau you were dang lucky. I also enjoyed the old lahaina laua both on Maui. Maybe I was just in a happy state of mind being in Maui again so a perhaps watching a drunk transient fighting a stop sign would have been just as enjoyable and a day old big mac as tasty..

retiredpopo said:
I suppose we all have different tastes in both food and entertainment. But man if your schools cafeteria has food as good as the Feast at Mokapu luau you were dang lucky. I also enjoyed the old lahaina laua both on Maui. Maybe I was just in a happy state of mind being in Maui again so a perhaps watching a drunk transient fighting a stop sign would have been just as enjoyable and a day old big mac as tasty..
Never tried the Mokapuu luau, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Also, living here and dragging your butt to yet another luau for family visiting probably puts a damper on my enjoyment. I do like to watch the Tahitian booty-shaking, though! Lol

Back