• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Help a stat junkie out

alabamagrizzly

So anyone who knows me knows I’m a stat junkie and can’t get enough of gathering statistical info. I’m also a bit OCD so for the past nearly 20 years, it has greatly agitated me that playoff stats prior to 2002 haven’t been back filled to give the correct totals and comparisons to the current records that have been broken since playoff stats were included into stat totals. Soooooo, I’ve taken it upon myself to correct Montana’s record book. Finding playoff stats from ‘93 and older has become very problematic though.

I’m asking for help finding box scores for seven games.
1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

I realize these will probably be impossible to find but I’m hoping and praying that somebody’s got something. Thank you and Go Griz!

1989 versus Georgia Southern *.

Eagles rans for 1,803 yards on 30 carries. Scored about 98 (highest their scoreboard could show. They stopped counting their points after that).

Grizzlies ran and passed for some yards. Scored some points too. Though not nearly enough to get that nasty taste of the triple option out of our mouth.

* In case you didn't guess, I still have nightmares about this one.

fanofzoo said:
49-48 Delaware game :cry:

Was there

Yup, can still see the ball sailing over the outstretched fingers of Todd Erickson into the hands of the waiting Delaware receiver as he ran finishing off our post season hopes as he crossed the goal line. Of course that just tied it and their PAT was the difference, or rather Larson’s missed PAT earlier ended up being the difference.

Grizzlies1982 said:
1989 versus Georgia Southern *.

Eagles rans for 1,803 yards on 30 carries. Scored about 98 (highest their scoreboard could show. They stopped counting their points after that).

Grizzlies ran and passed for some yards. Scored some points too. Though not nearly enough to get that nasty taste of the triple option out of our mouth.

* In case you didn't guess, I still have nightmares about this one.

‘95 helped make up for it but ‘00 done and ruined it all again and then they tucked tail and ran for the FBS, just like Marshall’s bitch ass.

84 game was the Mirage Bowl. Griz lost 31-45. Sorry no detailed stats from me.

Little known fact:The 1984 Mirage Bowl between Army and Montana marked the introduction of "The Wave" to Japan.

Ursus1 said:

Little known fact:The 1984 Mirage Bowl between Army and Montana marked the introduction of "The Wave" to Japan.

Mornhinweg had a big day. 424 yards.
Army’s ground game had a bigger day. 633 yards.

DuCharme said:
Ursus1 said:

Mornhinweg had a big day. 424 yards.
Army’s ground game had a bigger day. 633 yards.
"the Black Nights' won the 1984 Cherry Bowl -- the first time Army accepted a bowl invitation in its long history -- as well as the Mirage Bowl, a now regular-season bowl-like game that was played annually from 1977 to 1993 between American teams in Japan.
Army beat Michigan State in the Cherry Bowl in the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., and defeated a Montana in the Mirage Bowl in Tokyo's Olympic Stadium. Montana's quarterback was Marty Mornhinweg, who went on to become the Detroit Lions head coach (2001-02) and is now the Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator.
The Mirage Bowl lined up Army's wishbone against Montana's wide-open passing offense.
"They had the stadium divided one half for Army and one half for Montana, but the Japanese thought the passing was much more entertaining," Kime said. "The wishbone is a beautiful thing for football fans who know what's going on. But for the casual fan, slinging the ball is more entertaining."
In addition to defeating Air Force 24-12 to improve to 5-2-1, the 1984 team's three significant wins were back-to-back-to-back: Nov. 16, Montana 45-31; Dec. 1, Navy 28-11; and Dec. 22, Michigan State 10-6. Not a bad way to finish the season that Kime says was sparked by a 24-24 tie at Tennessee's venerable Neyland Stadium after a season-opening 41-15 victory over Colgate."

alabamagrizzly said:
So anyone who knows me knows I’m a stat junkie and can’t get enough of gathering statistical info. I’m also a bit OCD so for the past nearly 20 years, it has greatly agitated me that playoff stats prior to 2002 haven’t been back filled to give the correct totals and comparisons to the current records that have been broken since playoff stats were included into stat totals. Soooooo, I’ve taken it upon myself to correct Montana’s record book. Finding playoff stats from ‘93 and older has become very problematic though.

1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

I realize these will probably be impossible to find but I’m hoping and praying that somebody’s got something. Thank you and Go Griz!

Have you reached out to the university for these? Maybe Taber?

I wish they would backfill as well to compare. Wells and Douglass are regularly shortchanged in the WR column.

The UM Red Book has a wealth of info from 1897 - 1980. I don't think it has game stats. It has all sport. Super interesting.

I believe the below link has 2 versions: the original handwritten version and the converted digitized/typed version.

Some pages were taken out over the years and are missing. There is a listing somewhere of missing pages. There are other gaps.

Dave Guffey once told me that some of the information is not correct/complete, for example lettermen, but it's the best UM has.

https://scholarworks.umt.edu/redbook/

PlayerRep said:
The UM Red Book has a wealth of info from 1897 - 1980. I don't think it has game stats. It has all sport. Super interesting.

I believe the below link has 2 versions: the original handwritten version and the converted digitized/typed version.

Some pages were taken out over the years and are missing. There is a listing somewhere of missing pages. There are other gaps.

Dave Guffey once told me that some of the information is not correct/complete, for example lettermen, but it's the best UM has.

I have found numerous errors, but it is an amazing resource.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

I have found numerous errors, but it is an amazing resource.

Holy crap! A deep dive into that and I may never come back. Me and Timothy Leary lost in a daze! Thanks PR for giving my wife another reason to be mad at me. :D :thumb:

grizfan95 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

I wish they would backfill as well to compare. Wells and Douglass are regularly shortchanged in the WR column.

He’s my next step. If he can’t help, I’m probably gonna chalk it up to a lost cause. Yo is another who was truly hurt. 2k+ rushing, 2.6k total yards and 26 total TD’s in ‘01.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizfan95 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

He’s my next step. If he can’t help, I’m probably gonna chalk it up to a lost cause. Yo is another who was truly hurt. 2k+ rushing, 2.6k total yards and 26 total TD’s in ‘01.

UM sports information will have those boxes

kyle_sample said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizfan95 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

So us reaching out to Mr Taber my best option or is there a more direct route?

alabamagrizzly said:
kyle_sample said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizfan95 said:

I wonder if the Missoulian published box scores of those games?

kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kyle_sample said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I’m sure they did for most of them and they are probably on file at the public library but I’m 2k miles from there.

alabamagrizzly said:
kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kyle_sample said:

I’m sure they did for most of them and they are probably on file at the public library but I’m 2k miles from there.

Yeah, that makes it tough. Next time I go by the library I’ll see if I can find anything.

Latest posts

Back