• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Players coming off Redshirts

StumptownGriz

Stole this idea from the Kitten board so shout out RobertoGato for the good off-season topic! :thumb:

Who are you looking forward to coming off Red-Shirt the most? I think the consensus has got to be Jacob McGourin. We got a glimpse of what a man among boys he is this year as an 18-19 year old. Another off season in weight room could produce a monster. Coach Sacks said he's got the best "get off" and pad level of any player he's coached. Thats some major praise.

Kale Edwards is another guy who I'm really excited about after a year in the weight room, and the coaches are obviously high on given he was the scout team player of the year on D.

The OLine guys all probably need at least another year but I am a HUGE fan of Dimitru Salagor's athleticism that he shows on tape. He's a project that could really pay off in a couple years.

HUGE fan of Dimitru Salagor's athleticism that he shows on tape. He's a project that could really pay off in a couple years.

I believe he is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Another off season in the weight room for him could yield some very impressive results. He is the first recruit in a while that appears to have DOLA. Excited to watch him and the others you mentioned develop.

I hope Dreis and Botner put weight on if they are going to play OL, Dreis during signing day last year was announced at 290 but came into camp at 225. Botner I believe came in at 235. Salagor, and Barthel look good on film too. Can’t wait to see what Hurlburt brings to the table, also Grossman is another to watch out for.

I count 28 “FR”s on the roster. Although a couple did not redshirt like Otsmo and Hill. I think those will be the only true sophomores? In fact I believe Hill played in every regular season game and was the only true freshman from MT to start at Cat/Griz for either side.

So, not counting those 2 (and Owens) I think there are 25 for this thread.

Simpson WR
Dewalt WR
Walker CB
Brown QB
Hee S
White WR
Guerena S
Gradney CB
DeWaters CB
Meyer S
Feight S
Edwards LB
Tirrell LB
Barthel OL
Hurlburt DE
Poetzl DL
Botner OL
Salagor OL
Dries OL
Gilman KP
Elwell TE
Ambuehl TE
McGourin DL
Buschini KP
Grossman DL

garizzalies said:
I count 28 “FR”s on the roster. Although a couple did not redshirt like Otsmo and Hill. I think those will be the only true sophomores? In fact I believe Hill played in every regular season game and was the only true freshman from MT to start at Cat/Griz for either side.

Simpson WR
Dewalt WR
Walker CB
Brown QB
Hee S
White WR
Guerena S
Gradney CB
DeWaters CB
Meyer S
Feight S
Edwards LB
Tirrell LB
Barthel OL
Hurlburt DE
Poetzl DL
Botner OL
Salagor OL
Dries OL
Gilman KP
Elwell TE
Ambuehl TE
McGourin DL
Buschini KP
Grossman DL

Braxton Hill wasn't a true freshman. He was class of 2018 and Grayshirted. Meaning he wasn't on the team last Fall and joined the team for spring practice in 2019

WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:

Simpson WR
Dewalt WR
Walker CB
Brown QB
Hee S
White WR
Guerena S
Gradney CB
DeWaters CB
Meyer S
Feight S
Edwards LB
Tirrell LB
Barthel OL
Hurlburt DE
Poetzl DL
Botner OL
Salagor OL
Dries OL
Gilman KP
Elwell TE
Ambuehl TE
McGourin DL
Buschini KP
Grossman DL

Braxton Hill wasn't a true freshman. He was class of 2018 and Grayshirted. Meaning he wasn't on the team last Fall and joined the team for spring practice in 2019
You’re going to have to take it up with the NCAA. As far as they’re concerned, he was a true freshman last season.

garizzalies said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:

Simpson WR
Dewalt WR
Walker CB
Brown QB
Hee S
White WR
Guerena S
Gradney CB
DeWaters CB
Meyer S
Feight S
Edwards LB
Tirrell LB
Barthel OL
Hurlburt DE
Poetzl DL
Botner OL
Salagor OL
Dries OL
Gilman KP
Elwell TE
Ambuehl TE
McGourin DL
Buschini KP
Grossman DL

You’re going to have to take it up with the NCAA. As far as they’re concerned, he was a true freshman last season.
He was two years removed from High School this season. If you want to compare him to class of 2019 kids and act like its the same thing, go for it :thumb:

WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:

Simpson WR
Dewalt WR
Walker CB
Brown QB
Hee S
White WR
Guerena S
Gradney CB
DeWaters CB
Meyer S
Feight S
Edwards LB
Tirrell LB
Barthel OL
Hurlburt DE
Poetzl DL
Botner OL
Salagor OL
Dries OL
Gilman KP
Elwell TE
Ambuehl TE
McGourin DL
Buschini KP
Grossman DL

He was two years removed from High School this season. If you want to compare him to class of 2019 kids and act like its the same thing, go for it :thumb:

I think that person was just saying he was a true freshman last Fall because that’s how a gray shirt works.

I believe Walker, Hill, Elwell could not redshirt. I am not sure about White.

Anyways, McGourin is an easy one but I’m also wanting to see Poetzl and Edwards development in the Spring.

dayday said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:
WaGriz4life said:

I think that person was just saying he was a true freshman last Fall because that’s how a gray shirt works.

Anyways, McGourin is an easy one but I’m also wanting to see Poetzl and Edwards development in the Spring.
You are right Walker, Hill, Elwell, and Ostmo all did not redshirt. White and McGourin just played in 4 games. Did not know that Grossman could redshirt. Awesome

dayday said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:
WaGriz4life said:

I think you guys seem to be making this harder than it needs to be, but maybe I’m wrong. I know you both already know this, but for the rest, redshirt status has nothing to do with the year a player graduates from HS.
Hill most certainly “could have” redshirted last season but the coaches thought he was too good to keep off the field. A good problem to have, although he unfortunately got hurt at the very end of the season. Grossman was a “greyshirt” like Hill but, unlike Hill, he ended up redshirting his freshman year.
It does not matter what recruiting class you think Hill is in. All that matters is what the NCAA thinks, and they say he’s got 4 to play 3. Same with Otsmo; I’m not sure if Elwell, Walker, and White played >4 games? I did not think so. I thought Hill and Otsmo were the only Freshman not to redshirt—that’s usually called a “true freshman” but maybe you have some other definition.
Hill will never be a redshirt freshman like the rest of this list. That ship has sailed. Altho technically he could someday be a “player coming off a redshirt” year.

garizzalies said:
dayday said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:

I think you guys seem to be making this harder than it needs to be, but maybe I’m wrong. I know you both already know this, but for the rest, redshirt status has nothing to do with the year a player graduates from HS.
Hill most certainly “could have” redshirted last season but the coaches thought he was too good to keep off the field. A good problem to have, although he unfortunately got hurt at the very end of the season. Grossman was a “greyshirt” like Hill but, unlike Hill, he ended up redshirting his freshman year.
It does not matter what recruiting class you think Hill is in. All that matters is what the NCAA thinks, and they say he’s got 4 to play 3. Same with Otsmo; I’m not sure if Elwell, Walker, and White played >4 games? I did not think so. I thought Hill and Otsmo were the only Freshman not to redshirt—that’s usually called a “true freshman” but maybe you have some other definition.
Hill will never be a redshirt freshman like the rest of this list. That ship has sailed. Altho technically he could someday be a “player coming off a redshirt” year.
We know how it works dude. I would call him a gray shirt to differentiate the two. But whatever, Doesn't matter. Walker played in nearly every game last year. Elwell too as soon as Rensvold got hurt. White did not play in 4 games.

Latest posts

Back