• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky conference was totally owned today

Owned today, but Eastern had multiple chances to win a national championship just last season. I would say the current MSU, Weber, Montana and Sac. State squads showed they weren't going to catch the top two this season, but then again, that same holds true for every other team in the MVC and CAA cause they didn't beat either of em either. It's not a conference thing, it's a program thing, and right now NDSU and JMU are way better, that doesn't mean the Mo Valley and CAA are. The Big Sky as a whole is right there with those two leagues, just not the top team in each of those leagues.

I said it in a thread last week and was roundly roasted for it but Illinois State is a better team than anyone in the BSC. It sure looks that way now.

I think BB coming back to the Big Sky is huge. I just don't see anyone in this conference who can win on the main stage except him.

2011BisonAlumni said:
I think BB coming back to the Big Sky is huge. I just don't see anyone in this conference who can win on the main stage except him.

Bison guy, time for bed. Like was mentioned, the Bison and JMU are very good, however the BSC is right there if not stronger than both of those conferences.

bigsky33 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Bison guy, time for bed. Like was mentioned, the Bison and JMU are very good, however the BSC is right there if not stronger than both of those conferences.
Stronger. These clowns are comparing single teams to claim conference dominance. Yes, the Bison are very good, and so is JMU, but that's like saying NAU is a better team than MSU because Case Cookus is a Payton Award finalist.

bigsky33 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Eh I honestly don't see a single team who has the capability of keeping up with the physicality of the MVFC. The Big Sky has solid teams but they have been over-matched when playing against physical teams like NDSU and JMU.

I think Illinois State would have easily beat MSU or Weber today and they don't have a guy who can throw the football.

Cat's got owned today for sure, really Weber if they hadn't given up that touchdown before half, basically a one score game.

Biggest difference, is the home field advantages in the playoffs. Huge for the Griz when we were having our big run, and no difference for NDSU. I would agree for sure that NDSU has been awesome in their run, not trying to take anything away from them. But if they weren't playing at home for every round all of these years, I'd guess at least two years they would have been beat if not more.

We would have beaten Weber last week for sure at WaGriz. I feel after watching the game today with Weber, we might not have beaten JMSU, but it would have been a game.

Cats would have been alot tougher against NDSU also at home.

We need to get back to being seated 1/2 in the playoffs.

1972 said:
Cat's got owned today for sure, really Weber if they hadn't given up that touchdown before half, basically a one score game.

Biggest difference, is the home field advantages in the playoffs. Huge for the Griz when we were having our big run, and no difference for NDSU. I would agree for sure that NDSU has been awesome in their run, not trying to take anything away from them. But if they weren't playing at home for every round all of these years, I'd guess at least two years they would have been beat if not more.

We would have beaten Weber last week for sure at WaGriz. I feel after watching the game today with Weber, we might not have beaten JMSU, but it would have been a game.

Weak argument. You do realize the reason NDSU is getting these home games is because they have been by far the best team in the FCS the last decade right? The Big Sky has had numerous teams with home field advantage and have just plain out choked.

2012 EWU- #2 seed and were upset in the semi-finals by Sam Houston State
2013 EWU- #3 seed, had home field advantage via Eastern losing, and lost in the semi-finals to Towson
2014 EWU- #4 seed, played Illinois State at home in the quarter-finals and were blown out by Illinois State. Would have had home-field the next game.
2015 Portland State- #6 seed and were shown the door round 1 to an un-ranked UNI team
2016- EWU- #2 seed and lost in the semi-finals to an un-ranked YSU team
2018- Weber State- #2 seed and lost in the quarter finals at home to Maine. #3 ranked EWU made it to the championship game.

The Big Sky has had PLENTY of teams with high seeds, home field advantage etc. They just have not produced a team who can actually get it done.

The biggest reason the Big Sky hasn't competed is physicality. Plain and simple. They don't have teams in the conference who can play a physical football team.

2011BisonAlumni said:
1972 said:

Weak argument. You do realize the reason NDSU is getting these home games is because they have been by far the best team in the FCS the last decade right? The Big Sky has had numerous teams with home field advantage and have just plain out choked.

2012 EWU- #2 seed and were upset in the semi-finals by Sam Houston State
2013 EWU- #3 seed, had home field advantage via Eastern losing, and lost in the semi-finals to Towson
2014 EWU- #4 seed, played Illinois State at home in the quarter-finals and were blown out by Illinois State. Would have had home-field the next game.
2015 Portland State- #6 seed and were shown the door round 1 to an un-ranked UNI team
2016- EWU- #2 seed and lost in the semi-finals to an un-ranked YSU team
2018- Weber State- #2 seed and lost in the quarter finals at home to Maine. #3 ranked EWU made it to the championship game.

The Big Sky has had PLENTY of teams with high seeds, home field advantage etc. They just have not produced a team who can actually get it done.

The biggest reason the Big Sky hasn't competed is physicality. Plain and simple. They don't have teams in the conference who can play a physical football team.

Sheesh....could have done without all of these reminders of all of the playoff losses we had this decade 🙊🙉🙉

2011BisonAlumni said:
bigsky33 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Eh I honestly don't see a single team who has the capability of keeping up with the physicality of the MVFC. The Big Sky has solid teams but they have been over-matched when playing against physical teams like NDSU and JMU.

I think Illinois State would have easily beat MSU or Weber today and they don't have a guy who can throw the football.

So, Weber beat UNI 29-17. UNI beat 3-9 Ida St 13-6, by coming from behind to score 10 in the 4th. UNI beat Ill St 27-10.

And you think Ill St. would beat Weber and MSU? Man, you are out to lunch.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
bigsky33 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

So, Weber beat UNI 29-17. UNI beat 3-9 Ida St 13-6, by coming from behind to score 10 in the 4th. UNI beat Ill St 27-10.

Nope not in the playoffs. It's a different beast. The best the Big Sky has offered over the past few years have been routinely upset by more physical teams in the playoffs.

Derrek Tuszka actually made mention of it in the post game on how the teams they face in the MVFC are just significantly more physical and that going into this game, they knew they weren't going to face a team that was as physical as Illinois State was the previous week.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
bigsky33 said:

Nope not in the playoffs. It's a different beast. The best the Big Sky has offered over the past few years have been routinely upset by more physical teams in the playoffs.

Derrek Tuszka actually made mention of it in the post game on how the teams they face in the MVFC are just significantly more physical and that going into this game, they knew they weren't going to face a team that was as physical as Illinois State was the previous week.

You are an idiot.

With a healthy Sneed and Akem, the Griz would have beaten both NDSU and JMU today in games played back to back. The Griz have been a very strong team late in the playoffs.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

You are an idiot.

With a healthy Sneed and Akem, the Griz would have beaten both NDSU and JMU today in games played back to back. The Griz have been a very strong team late in the playoffs.

Na bro. Not a chance in hell.

Went to a few Griz games this year. Their offensive and defensive lines were fat and slow. Defensive line especially was weak. They would have been blown off the lines.

And....Bobby doesn't know how to win games on the main stage.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:

You are an idiot.

Na bro. Not a chance in hell.

Went to a few Griz games this year. Their offensive and defensive lines were fat and slow. Defensive line especially was weak. They would have been blown off the lines.

And....Bobby doesn't know how to win games on the main stage.

One of the Griz d-lineman may be the fastest d-lineman in FCS. No. 37 doesn't have an ounce of fT and isn't slow. Gubner had 4 interceptions this year and isn't slow. The smaller stand up d-ends are all fast.

Hauck has won lots of big games.

Your problem is that you don't know anything about football.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

You are an idiot.

JUST WOW! As someone who hasn't played the game, I think I'm qualified to say this single-handedly may be the your most ridiculous comment in a posting history rich with utter bullsh*t & pompous musings.

Make no mistake, as our roster stands right now, we would get straight up OWNED by either JMU or NDSU. And Akem and a healthy Sneed would barely make a difference. Simply put, our lines are not up to the task of competing with either of these programs right now and that isn't opinion, it's reality. We struggle to protect the passer and can't get after the qb on D. Our push a long the D-line is lackluster at best. That is a disaster against either of these programs. Hell, we weren't even competitive with MSU and they looked like bush league against the Bison.

If we want to compete with the best, it's obvious the we need to make major upgrades along the trenches.

Back