• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Missoulian to increase focus on MSU athletics, readers need to grow up

Grizbeer

A few weeks ago the sports editor for Lee wrote a glowing column about how athletics is the front porch of a University and how well MSU understand and takes advantage of that (the same guy who was the sports editor at the Bozeman Chronicle when they ran a full page ad rooting on Villinova in the national championship game) Now the Missoulian is tired of people complaining about the newspaper in Missoula giving equal or better coverage to that front porch, and tells readers to grow up and support MSU.

The real hate in Montana athletics doesn't come from fans, it comes from the editor of the Missoulian and sports editor at Lee, towards UM athletics.

https://missoulian.com/sports/bill-speltz-hate-has-no-place-in-treasure-state-sports/article_3a90b06f-f105-52c1-8890-72c6be055497.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

MSU is Montana's largest university. It has 16k students. UM has 9k? That's not just an enrollment difference, it's an alumni difference as we wrap up a decade of MSU turning out substantially more graduates than UM.
The numbers don't support UM being The Team for Montana, not now, not 10 years from now as UM continues to shrink.

griz4life said:
MSU is Montana's largest university. It has 16k students. UM has 9k? That's not just an enrollment difference, it's an alumni difference as we wrap up a decade of MSU turning out substantially more graduates than UM.
The numbers don't support UM being The Team for Montana, not now, not 10 years from now as UM continues to shrink.
This is the end result of liberal 'progressives' at UM championing feminist studies, social justice, indian studies and a myriad of bs classes and degrees that have no bearing on the economic value of a degree (and being able to pay off student loans related to said 'degree'); i.e. a real job that can support an individual in the world. (other than learning to write grants to fund more progressive bs). Cue up the emotional thinkers to scream about this.

I took the time to look at the enrollment in bachelor's of arts programs at MSU and UM. The enrollment gap in those programs at MSU versus UM is closing. Montana's bachelor's of science programs are shrinking, too.

I love UM as much as any Carroll College alum loves his school. Still facts are facts. UM is not Montana's university of choice. There will be more MSU alums across the state wanting Bobcat news.

montanaguy said:
griz4life said:
This is the end result of liberal 'progressives' at UM championing feminist studies, social justice, indian studies and a myriad of bs classes and degrees that have no bearing on the economic value of a degree (and being able to pay off student loans related to said 'degree'); i.e. a real job that can support an individual in the world. (other than learning to write grants to fund more progressive bs). Cue up the emotional thinkers to scream about this.

We get it you’re mad at the Missoulian. I have had my frustrations with them but I think you’re missing the issue with Lee Enterprises.

However, I do take issue with these small minded comments. I have “bs” degrees and do more than just fine economically. There is economic value in not being a sexist, racist or an overall d*ck but what do I know.

dayday said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

We get it you’re mad at the Missoulian. I have had my frustrations with them but I think you’re missing the issue with Lee Enterprises.

However, I do take issue with these small minded comments. I have “bs” degrees and do more than just fine economically. There is economic value in not being a sexist, racist or an overall d*ck but what do I know.
What field do you work in? Did you really need a college course to learn not to be a dick?

montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

I'm not screaming, but it seems like you have big conflict of interests in that, Not to overstate the obvious here, but you do realize the football team you are on here supporting (assuming you really are a Griz fan) is every bit a part of the liberal arts university you are seeming to detest so bad? You do realize they are not a separate entity? If the University of Montana didn't exist, your Griz football team wouldn't either.

montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

Do the "Professors" say people can be among a hundred or more genders, and that they can identify as a Super Hornet, the Insect or the Jet?

Cuervohola said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

Do the "Professors" say people can be among a hundred or more genders, and that they can identify as a Super Hornet, the Insect or the Jet?

That would be HDFS 464 in the MSU course guide.

George Ferguson said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

I'm not screaming, but it seems like you have big conflict of interests in that, Not to overstate the obvious here, but you do realize the football team you are on here supporting (assuming you really are a Griz fan) is every bit a part of the liberal arts university you are seeming to detest so bad? You do realize they are not a separate entity? If the University of Montana didn't exist, your Griz football team wouldn't either.
I think you’re inverting what I’m trying to say. Yes, I love the ‘U’, and lament the fact that MSU is becoming the dominant university. I believe the issues I laid out are a large reason for that. Rational Montana parents want value for their tuition dollars, not ideological fluff.

montanaguy said:
griz4life said:
I will readily admit that I don't understand what Americans seem to mean by liberal. Traditionally, a liberal is someone who believes that the government that governs best governs least. No government funded insurance is a liberal idea, no farm subsidies is a liberal idea, no gun control is a liberal idea. The root word is liberty. When I was at the U of M in the mid 80's we couldn't even have kegs in our dorms, that is about as far from liberal as a school could be.

SaskGriz said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:
I will readily admit that I don't understand what Americans seem to mean by liberal. Traditionally, a liberal is someone who believes that the government that governs best governs least. No government funded insurance is a liberal idea, no farm subsidies is a liberal idea, no gun control is a liberal idea. The root word is liberty. When I was at the U of M in the mid 80's we couldn't even have kegs in our dorms, that is about as far from liberal as a school could be.
If you're genuinely confused, just substitute "Communist" for "liberal" in any American context and you'll be about 90% of the way to understanding. In the US, liberals want to control everything.

griz4life said:
Cuervohola said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:

That would be HDFS 464 in the MSU course guide.

I wonder if the Professors preaching that there are more than 2 genders get in arguments with Biology Professors that know it's... Biologically impossible.

Grizbeer said:
A few weeks ago the sports editor for Lee wrote a glowing column about how athletics is the front porch of a University and how well MSU understand and takes advantage of that (the same guy who was the sports editor at the Bozeman Chronicle when they ran a full page ad rooting on Villinova in the national championship game) Now the Missoulian is tired of people complaining about the newspaper in Missoula giving equal or better coverage to that front porch, and tells readers to grow up and support MSU.

The real hate in Montana athletics doesn't come from fans, it comes from the editor of the Missoulian and sports editor at Lee, towards UM athletics.

https://missoulian.com/sports/bill-speltz-hate-has-no-place-in-treasure-state-sports/article_3a90b06f-f105-52c1-8890-72c6be055497.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

This was actually from a fan that baught the Ad space...

Where I have just a couple thoughts concerning what is happening to both universities may (or may not, at my age I almost no longer really care, really) is how both universities appear to have lost their connection to those alumni who packed their bags and left the state of Montana for much better paying jobs, IN THEIR FIELDS OF CHOICE.

I'll reference the Cat-Griz game viewing parties in just the Denver area as an example. The Brooklyn hosted over 700 individuals for just that one game. The View had an extraordinary crowd also. A couple other places in and around Denver had similar crowds, yet both the Cats and the Griz Athletic Departments take their coaches around the state of Montana trying to squeeze a few measley bucks out of the in-state graduates continually. Yesterday in Mike Hayter's bar in LoDo there were twice as many people viewing the Cat-NDSU game than a Quarterback Club meeting in Glasgow.

When I look at how many graduates live in certain areas of the country based upon our alumni propaganda b.s. magazines we get each year yet there's little to no presence by the administration, I know exactly why nobody is stepping up to push FCOA for our athletes let alone why the U of M is experiencing a decline in enrollment. (I know, two different topics entirely but whether the "liberal" faculty likes it or not, athletics is the front porch to a university experience and the coaching staff is the most important hire the BOR makes for each member institution). We can rattle off a large number of former Frontier Conference administrators and coaches yet it seems only the AD of Nebraska came from either U of M or MSU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Somehow that little dynamo heading MSU has connected nationally yet the U of M is failing to extend everything that is positive about Missoula to the country. Yes, the international student body population is growing, but, at what cost to the overall health of the enrollment of the entire student body?

SubGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
montanaguy said:
griz4life said:
If you're genuinely confused, just substitute "Communist" for "liberal" in any American context and you'll be about 90% of the way to understanding. In the US, liberals want to control everything.
I find your comment "substitute Communist for Liberal" more than a little ironic given our current "conservative" president is clearly a puppet of Putin. :roll:

GrizWhiz said:
SubGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
montanaguy said:
I find your comment "substitute Communist for Liberal" more than a little ironic given our current "conservative" president is clearly a puppet of Putin. :roll:

Is that you, Anybody there?

Mueller..... Mueller..... Mueller..... Couldn't prove anything, Demonrats?

Sorry, Too soon?

"This is my last election ... After my election I have more flexibility"... Barack Hussein Obama to Medvedev. "I will transmit this information to Vladimir" said Medvedev.

GrizWhiz said:
Well, I guess double down on the irony, since Mueller conclusively proved that Trump isn't working for Putin, AND Putin's not a Communist.

As far as the substitution goes, it's accurate. Liberals just don't like to use that term to describe what they want. It's a bit like saying you enjoy a sport where eleven-man teams square off and the objective is to get the ball to the far end of a 100 yard field by either running or passing... but don't call it football! It's a totally different sport!

SubGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
Well, I guess double down on the irony, since Mueller conclusively proved that Trump isn't working for Putin, AND Putin's not a Communist.

As far as the substitution goes, it's accurate. Liberals just don't like to use that term to describe what they want. It's a bit like saying you enjoy a sport where eleven-man teams square off and the objective is to get the ball to the far end of a 100 yard field by either running or passing... but don't call it football! It's a totally different sport!
Putin was a Communist, not to mention a KGB agent and would like to return Russia to those days. I would say carrying out Putin's foreign policy objectives puts trump in the puppet category. :thumb: That said, I recognize this is the Griz football forum my political posts are at an end.

Latest posts

Back