• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pay to Play

OrgonGriz

So we all know that NDSU provides the player stipends. Today I saw a clear level of talent difference between the Bizon and Cats. I suspect the Bizon handle whom ever they play is the NC game the same way.

If the Bizon level of success continues can that continued success be attributed to the stipend?

If the stipend makes the difference will we see other FCS schools following suit? Or is the extra money worth the success it gains in return? The FCS is really not a money maker. I guess it might pay off if NDSU has aspirations of going FBS. Really at this stage they have been there done that several times. I think NDSU want to maintain this high level of success in the hopes of a better FCS invite if one comes one day. Maybe they do have there eyes on the Big12.

I didn't watch the game today. In the past one of the amazing things about NDSU is the way they can recruit kids from Florida. And Fargo is such an amazing place that the kids parents are able to up and quit their jobs in Florida, move to Fargo and both get good paying jobs. ESPN always did a good job of highlighting those parents on the broadcast. Not only good jobs, but even though they only had the job for a couple months they get enough paid leave they can attend all road games. Outside of the SEC and USC 20 years ago no economy in the country has had that kind of opportunity for parents of players. A truly magical place.

Let me get everyone some participation ribbons. Get out your check book and make it happen or quit complaining about it. This is just what everyone needs, another fucking excuse that makes losing not their fault.

OrgonGriz said:
So we all know that NDSU provides the player stipends. Today I saw a clear level of talent difference between the Bizon and Cats. I suspect the Bizon handle whom ever they play is the NC game the same way.

If the Bizon level of success continues can that continued success be attributed to the stipend?

If the stipend makes the difference will we see other FCS schools following suit? Or is the extra money worth the success it gains in return? The FCS is really not a money maker. I guess it might pay off if NDSU has aspirations of going FBS. Really at this stage they have been there done that several times. I think NDSU want to maintain this high level of success in the hopes of a better FCS invite if one comes one day. Maybe they do have there eyes on the Big12.

You mean a MAC invite over a Sun Belt invite?

OrgonGriz said:

I think the difference is negligible at best. They won 4 national championships before FCOA was instituted.

OrgonGriz said:

I do not believe NDSU is the only FCS program offering Cost of Attendance stipends. There is nothing preventing other programs prioritizing their spending to provide them. NDSU is far from the highest AD budget in FCS.

It is amazing to me how many people don't know about Cost of Attendance.

FIRST. NDSU has only offered C of A since the start of the 2016 academic year. HOW MANY TITLES DID THEY WIN BEFORE THAT???????

SECOND: The University of North Dakota offers C of A. If C of A is such a big deal, why is UND not winning football chippers?

THIRD: The team NDSU is playing in the chipper, James Madison, offers C of A. So would that NOT be a level playing field?

FOURTH. Cost of Attendance must be for every single scholarship offered in an athletic department. Sorry Olympic sport/tennis and golf and cross country haters, if the football and basketball teams get C of A, so do ALL of those sports too. Who's going to finance that again?

LASTLY: Those schools, mainly Griz fans and ESPECIALLY after today, Cat fans, bitching about C of A, are you publicly admitting the players you go to the games to support aren't good enough? Because that's exactly what it sounds like. Whining about not having it, sounds like "if we had it we would attract better players than we have" to me. So, these players like Brayden Konkol for the Cats or Dylan Cook for the Griz, what you're saying is, you love them but, you really wish you had someone else playing those positions???

George Ferguson said:

FIRST. NDSU has only offered C of A since the start of the 2016 academic year. HOW MANY TITLES DID THEY WIN BEFORE THAT???????

SECOND: The University of North Dakota offers C of A. If C of A is such a big deal, why is UND not winning football chippers?

THIRD: The team NDSU is playing in the chipper, James Madison, offers C of A. So would that NOT be a level playing field?

FOURTH. Cost of Attendance must be for every single scholarship offered in an athletic department. Sorry Olympic sport/tennis and golf and cross country haters, if the football and basketball teams get C of A, so do ALL of those sports too. Who's going to finance that again?

LASTLY: Those schools, mainly Griz fans and ESPECIALLY after today, Cat fans, bitching about C of A, are you publicly admitting the players you go to the games to support aren't good enough? Because that's exactly what it sounds like. Whining about not having it, sounds like "if we had it we would attract better players than we have" to me. So, these players like Brayden Konkol for the Cats or Dylan Cook for the Griz, what you're saying is, you love them but, you really wish you had someone else playing those positions???
Oh good, Turd Ferguson is here to show us the error of our ways.

Unless you believe there's something magical about the water in Fargo, you have to admit that there's something strange about a single team winning the championship every year. Maybe the Gravy Dome is an amazing advantage. Maybe Fargo is just an FBS-caliber venue. Maybe there's something to COA that gives the Obese'uns an advantage in recruiting. Don't get your panties in a bunch that some folks are wondering what the key to success is.

SubGriz said:
George Ferguson said:

Unless you believe there's something magical about the water in Fargo, you have to admit that there's something strange about a single team winning the championship every year. Maybe the Gravy Dome is an amazing advantage. Maybe Fargo is just an FBS-caliber venue. Maybe there's something to COA that gives the Obese'uns an advantage in recruiting. Don't get your panties in a bunch that some folks are wondering what the key to success is.

NDSU is an example of continuity. Bohl built the dynasty and they have kept their coaching selections from within. Kids want to play for winning teams. The Griz were headed down that path with BH the first time around. UND’s leadership clearly understands the national attention their college football program provides as well and they must know it results in some form of enrollment potential. Not many schools have that kind of consistent leadership.

That's the same thing I was talking about with my dad earlier. FCS coaching is a merry go round, but it seems like NDSU does a good job of keeping their coaching changes in house, which is huge. When you're going from run-first to West coast offense to RPO every two years, it kills your ability to grow a program. Hopefully Bobby is in it for the long haul, because he's an awesome coach and I really think he can build a dynasty.

Jeff Choate knew he was going to lose going in. He deliberately mocked them with bulletin board material about payments and noise.

I gained a whole lot respect for Jeff Choate and wish him well if he moves on.

Fargo FCS school is not going to lose until NCAA decides to come down on them.

If we are realistic they are not going to as no one cares about a cow college in Fargo.

We have come off 3 years self imposed probation for basically giving hot dogs to prospective student athletes at tailgating or serving meals at boosters homes.

Meanwhile Mike Lyndell of My Pillow fame gives away free pillows to their football team after Trump has them at White House last year.

Just watch Cats or Griz get that benefit and see NCAA show how phony they are.

They are fake and boorish at best; at worst are fag faced fat slobs who are bored and smirk at everyone else.

Coat of Attendance received by Ndsu, UND, and I want to say even SDSU and USD now. Ndsu and JMU on another level. Jmu has a 50 million dollar athletic budget and spends more on their football program than any other FCS school and more than many FBS schools

George Ferguson said:

Actually SDSU has been phasing it in for football and basketball only so somehow they don’t have to do it for every sport

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2016/02/05/sdsu-phasing-cost-attendance-preparing-multi-year-contracts/79861706/

Grizbeer said:
I didn't watch the game today. In the past one of the amazing things about NDSU is the way they can recruit kids from Florida. And Fargo is such an amazing place that the kids parents are able to up and quit their jobs in Florida, move to Fargo and both get good paying jobs. ESPN always did a good job of highlighting those parents on the broadcast. Not only good jobs, but even though they only had the job for a couple months they get enough paid leave they can attend all road games. Outside of the SEC and USC 20 years ago no economy in the country has had that kind of opportunity for parents of players. A truly magical place.

Now that you mention it, it is very interesting how so many out of state recruits’ parents make real estate transactions on or around signing day. Pretty dope.

Let me compliment Jeff Choate.

He mocked the Fargo School over stipends, pay to play play and noise level in Fargo Dome.

Being politically correct he could not say how much Fargo skirts NCAA rules with under the table payments.

He also was probably not around when they deliberately skirted rules use to use sound system to disrupt visitors.

Last year Fargo bunch took plane ride to meet President Trump. Mike Lyndell of My Pillow fame bragged how everyone was getting a free pillow.

If Griz or Cats pulled the free pillow stunt, I could either school at best on same sanctions Griz were on for feeding athletes in boosters homes over Thanksgiving or Christmas or feeding prospective athletes hot dogs at tail gating parties.

Fargo can pay to play and pay who knows much under the table; hypocrisy speaks for itself.

Funny how no one at NCAA cares about a cow college in Fargo but love to take paid vacations to Missoula to investigate what I mockingly call "serious violations".

SubGriz said:
George Ferguson said:

If a Student-Athlete was getting looked at by 3 or 4 FCS schools, but only 1 gives COA, I'm sure for some families/athletes this might be just the difference maker. Some of these guys might be getting walk-on spot for lower/mid FBS team vs scholarship @ FCS w/COA. I would say the COA does help, but NDSU has built a hell.of resume, regardless.

FTG247365 said:
If a Student-Athlete was getting looked at by 3 or 4 FCS schools, but only 1 gives COA, I'm sure for some families/athletes this might be just the difference maker. Some of these guys might be getting walk-on spot for lower/mid FBS team vs scholarship @ FCS w/COA. I would say the COA does help, but NDSU has built a hell.of resume, regardless.
Agreed. I think letting players sign endorsement deals will have the same effect. For example, if you're a Montana kid getting recruited by MSU and UM, you might go either way, based on friends, how you've traditionally felt about the Brawl, coaching styles, etc. If one of those schools tells you that in addition to the scholarship, they've worked out an endorsement deal with Booster Randy's Discount Tire Emporium for X dollars per year, it's going to affect the decision. Long term put a few schools at the top and make recruiting more about boosters and money than education and coaching.

Hoops watcher said:
OrgonGriz said:

You mean a MAC invite over a Sun Belt invite?
I think when NDSU gets an invite it will Big 10 to replace Rutgers or Maryland or Nebraska (who have to go back to the Big 12 or whatever they call OU's conference now).

Back