• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

AZGrizFan

DONOR
What are peoples’ thoughts on Humphrey?

He showed well in his limited PT, and having a returning QB who’s already started games in this offense has to be a huge plus for him....but I know virtually zero about the income JUCO guy, and even less about the underclassmen already on the roster behind him....

Can he do it? Can he lead us to the promised land?

I am not sure if Humphrey is the right guy. He has a tendency to look at his first read only. This is a dangerous tendency that against good defenses will get you exposed. However maybe he will settle in and do well. No matter I just do not see him as a dominant QB. He can be a good one but I would be shocked if he were great. We should not settle for good. I would like to see some under class men and a couple of transfers come in to compete. If nothing else to push Humphrey to get better.

This year he was a one read then run QB. Starred down receivers he wanted to throw to.

Maybe as he gets more comfortable the game will slow down for him and with work can learn better eye control.

Has a cannon arm, but thus far, touch issues more so middle short portion of field and then the Akem play.

Leadership is also a question, how will that develop with sneed’s graduation?

Plenty of upside.

Since Super Dave is between seasons, maybe he could give a spring clinic for Q’s on how to have 240 degree vision!

I think a lot of these things were said about Sneed last year. I prefer to wait and see and let whomever is in camp come spring and fall decide it.

Cam seems hard to judge. Sounds like he got a ton of reps this past camp and has some play time this year as we all saw. However, it just didn’t feel like Cam had the “it” factor when he was in for Dalton. Hopefully QB competition is open this spring. I will just say I won’t be surprised if someone else gets the starting job. Or maybe Cam gets it and get replaced shortly into the season.
In some regards I would rather have a younger QB as our season schedule wise looks easier than this past year. Get a QB that starts 3 or 4 years. Cam would be a one year starter.

Cam gets a fair shot at 1QB for sure. He played his part this season and went undefeated. If the hogs eat their creatine during the off season, a pocket passer like Cam will do just fine with the loads of talent at the skill positions.

Cam did well this year. I see no reason why he won’t this year if Bobby names him the starting QB.

Spanky2 said:
Cam did well this year. I see no reason why he won’t this year if Bobby names him the starting QB.

This is where I am also...he is QB1 right now, and will lead thru the winter and spring ball. Someone will have to beat him out, and I don't think that person is on the roster right now.

Spanky2 said:

Well, I don’t either. But that begs the question, with what we KNOW, do we think BH will, and will Cam be the guy?

As I recall, Sneed didn't take all that many reps this spring. The staff invested a ton of time in Cam...I recall a lot of positive chatter about him. He played well this year. Unless a drop-down comes in, I think he is the starter and I don't think it's even close right now.

Ohh the irony is thick on this one. A quick glance back at Egriz on Saturday night had a lot of posters clamoring for Humphrey to go in at Weber. A few days later though, he's not good enough lol.

George Ferguson said:
Ohh the irony is thick on this one. A quick glance back at Egriz on Saturday night had a lot of posters clamoring for Humphrey to go in at Weber. A few days later though, he's not good enough lol.

eGriz in a nutshell

From my seats it looked like he had a long way to go. From the guys that matter, the coaches and Sneed, we are in good hands. I'll take their word over my fandom.

George Ferguson said:

I think you may have misunderstood my original post intent. I'm not saying I don't think he's not good enough. I wondering what everyone thinks will ultimately happen. Who takes 1st snap of game 1? Humphrey? Patterson? Rostad? Someone not on the roster currently?

I believe in Cam. Is he the same fiery guy that Sneed is? Probably not. And that's OK-he needs to be himself to be his best. I think with a full offseason as QB1, he will develop into a guy that can take this team far.

A couple of thoughts. We really don't know if Cam has the "it" factor, and probably won't unless he is the guy who is chosen. Some guys are born with it. Some guys never quite develope it. How many of us were REALLY excited about Dalton after his first spring? I wasn't, but sure loved him once the games came around. I think Cam is more physically gifted than Dalton was, except for scrambling. We will see how he developes over the winter and spring. I assume he will go into Spring as QB1, but Bobby will make it very clear it is an open competition.

The other thing that is tough about QB, is that it is about the only position where there is little or no subbing (other than kicker and punter). Every other 2nd and some 3rd stringers at other position go into a game (and even practice for that matter), knowing they are going to get a few reps. Not the QB's. While they are always "1 play away", they simply don't get in that often, unless it is an injury, or a huge blowout. It can be tough on a kid, but that is the life of a QB.

MTGRZ said:
I believe in Cam. Is he the same fiery guy that Sneed is? Probably not. And that's OK-he needs to be himself to be his best. I think with a full offseason as QB1, he will develop into a guy that can take this team far.

Sneed's tweet post-game about Cam seems to imply HE thinks Cam is the guy. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back