• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bottom Line #2

IdaGriz01

Obviously, no Griz fan can be happy about the way the season ended. (And major sympathy for Sneed with the way his career ended.)

But the real bottom line is this:
(1) The Griz won ten games for the first time since 2013.
(2) Out of all 124 FCS teams, only ten won 10 or more D-I games during this season.

If you see that as “mediocre” or a “total failure” … you’re beyond help.

IdaGriz01 said:
Obviously, no Griz fan can be happy about the way the season ended. (And major sympathy for Sneed with the way his career ended.)

(2) Out of all 124 FCS teams, only ten won 10 or more D-I games during this season.

+1

IdaGriz01 said:

:thumb:

I am simply amazed at how far this team has come under Bobby. That period after the Pflugrad era made me wonder if we had to accept mediocrity and just be like most of the schools in the FCS who never get anywhere. Last year offered a glimmer of hope, but not achieving what we had hoped. This year's team, thanks to the senior leadership has gone farther than I dared hope. I thought we would make it to the playoffs but as an unseeded team. Then we outperformed those expectations.
Next year's team looks even more imposing, especially with the returners. I am pumped and glad to be a Griz fan.

With a healthy Sneed and the defense playing like they did yesterday there is not an FCS team in the country this team wouldn't beat. That includes JMU and NDSU. We are on the upswing for sure, it was a season that exceeded everyones expectations.

DrainBramage said:
Only one team is happy about how a season ends.

Unless you like bowl games.
Oddly enough, that might have been one advantage of the old FBS level before they cooked up their lame "national championship."

Remember when the polls "decided" who was (quote) National Champion (unquote)? Any of a dozen top teams could say, "Screw that, we went to the [big time] bowl. We're as much national champion as anybody." Then the fans could argue about it all through the off-season.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

indian-outlaw said:
With a healthy Sneed and the defense playing like they did yesterday there is not an FCS team in the country this team wouldn't beat. That includes JMU and NDSU. We are on the upswing for sure, it was a season that exceeded everyones expectations.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

IdaGriz01 said:

And it was a very difficult draw on the schedule. Next year we have the cushy schedule similar to the one MSU had this year.

IdaGriz01 said:

:thumb: Griz are well on their way, going to miss the departing seniors but the cupboard is not bare by any means.

Really hoping we can shore up the line of scrimmage on both sides. Have got to be able to have a dominant, power rushing game and suffocating defense. Combine that with the playmakers we have on offense, and we will be back in Frisco sooner than later.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

And it was a very difficult draw on the schedule. Next year we have the cushy schedule similar to the one MSU had this year.
I considered mentioning that, but figured the other two items were the key points.

But you got me to thinking about that Strength of Schedule. And the results turned out to be very interesting. I used the Sagarin SOS numbers, but the Massey order is almost identical. Of all the FCS teams that won 10 or more D-I games, the Griz had the highest SOS. Admittedly, there’s not a lot to choose among the top three, but then there’s a noticeable drop-off (#137 to #151). There’s an even bigger drop at the bottom of the list: JMU is #164 in SOS rank, while Austin Peay is #196. And Central Connecticut played a pitiful schedule.
Code:
Montana		54.65
Northern Iowa	53.95
Weber State	53.51
Illinois State	50.47
NDSU		49.57
MSU		48.55
JMU		48.22
Austin Peay	42.24
Monmouth	39.17
Cent Connt	34.02

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
IdaGriz01 said:

:thumb: Griz are well on their way, going to miss the departing seniors but the cupboard is not bare by any means.

Really hoping we can shore up the line of scrimmage on both sides. Have got to be able to have a dominant, power rushing game and suffocating defense. Combine that with the playmakers we have on offense, and we will be back in Frisco sooner than later.

Totally agree. When the D-line and O-line improve and get more experience (depth) the Griz should be ready to make another title run. We have lots of talent at other positions, we are just young/inexperienced in the trenches. I believe that will change, soon.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Good, maybe the Cats will get the good TV schedule as well😀👍

IdaGriz01 said:

Can't wait for next season! Go Griz!

Walkon79 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Speaking of bitter, it seems everyone associated with your program is butthurt about that, from Choate on down. Frankly it's a pain in the ass to keep up with what subscription you need to watch the game from week to week.

SubGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Speaking of bitter, it seems everyone associated with your program is butthurt about that, from Choate on down. Frankly it's a pain in the ass to keep up with what subscription you need to watch the game from week to week.

Not bitter. But its probably a lock that a semi-finalist (at minimum :) )with a stronger SOS will get more Root games in 2020.

Walkon79 said:
SubGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
kemajic said:

Not bitter. But its probably a lock that a semi-finalist (at minimum :) )with a stronger SOS will get more Root games in 2020.

I disagree. Games in Missoula (and Griz road games) must have the best ratings for the network. Wa-Griz just shows so much better on TV. They will stay the course unless the Cats beat the Fats and the Dukes/Morms. If that happens, I could see Root throwing an extra game to Bozeman.

CDAGRIZ said:
Walkon79 said:
SubGriz said:
Walkon79 said:

I disagree. Games in Missoula (and Griz road games) must have the best ratings for the network. Wa-Griz just shows so much better on TV. They will stay the course unless the Cats beat the Fats and the Dukes/Morms. If that happens, I could see Root throwing an extra game to Bozeman.

The Walkon joker thinks the Cats will be tv pre-season national champs next year too. No way.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Walkon79 said:
SubGriz said:

The Walkon joker thinks the Cats will be tv pre-season national champs next year too. No way.
Dude, who had more Root games in the past 5 years before 2019? Look it up asshat!

Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Walkon79 said:

Dude, who had more Root games in the past 5 years before 2019? Look it up asshat!

Tell us, double asshat, and provide links.

Back