• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Game Concerns

mule

I believe there is a lot of improvement that needs to done to be a Champion contender. The problem I see in the last 5 years plus is we don't have the will to win meaningful important games. Till we can and know how to do that, I don't see to many championships in the future.
It comes down to coaching in many of the areas that we need that attitude and demeanor to win as a program.

It was a good year of football and fun to see some progress.

mule said:
I believe there is a lot of improvement that needs to done to be a Champion contender. The problem I see in the last 5 years plus is we don't have the will to win meaningful important games. Till we can and know how to do that, I don't see to many championships in the future.
It comes down to coaching in many of the areas that we need that attitude and demeanor to win as a program.

Bob Hauck hates losing. The will and demeanor will be apparent when the Griz can run the ball and wear a team down. They were one dimensional for many of their games. Work in progress. Two years in and made it to the quarterfinals. Things look much better than they did last year and the previous 8 before that. The Griz just lost on the road to the #3 team in the country with 6 turnovers people. Yes - 6 and they still had a chance to tie at the end of the game. Hell, I was so glad that I was so mad last night!!

Tell Bobby he doesn’t have the will to win big games or tell that to Sneed. We got beat. In athletics you either win or lose. We lost yesterday. Excellent year for the Griz football team and coaches.

For me it is less about "Big Game" concerns and more about getting the program to a point that wins on the road against quality teams is a more common thing.

We still need to be able to run the ball in big games. We haven't done that yet. We are not there yet and I hope we get there. There was no Dola last night.

There are no big game concerns, or lack of will to win them.

UM isn't yet good enough to win all the big games. UM still needs to get even more horses and improve. It's coming. Will take at least another year or two. Going in the right direction quite fast.

Man, some fans act like we didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row.

This season was a huge success, especially given the challenge of the schedule.

We'll all look back in a year or two saying that this season was the turning point where the flashes started to shine through. Still a lot to work on, but it was never going to be an overnight success.

mule said:

Was the Davis game not a “big game” when they were #4 in the nation?

What about the EWU game? Weren’t they in the national championship last year?

What about the first time we played Weber? They were #3 in the nation at the time right?

How about playoff game #1? How long had it been since the Griz had advanced to the quarters?

Seems like those are all big games, and this is a very ignorant post.

It’s been 8 seasons (2011) since we made the quarterfinals, unless you don’t count the forfeited games.

If you don’t, it’s been 10 years.

So “officially”, this was our best season this entire decade.

Think about that.

Another over-reaction thread. The program as a whole is going in the right direction. If you can't see that, that's on you. This team busted their asses. Started 2 CBs that were brought in as WR. One of those CBs played TWO YEARS as a productive WR. Safties were all set up for run stop-Fouch will be excellent in coverage next year. O-line was another patchwork with a center that played like 4 different positions before this year. One of our YOUNG O-linemen was a QB before this year....D-line is super young and will only improve now that we have a bit of depth, and more time in the weight room. QB might be an interesting position battle this spring....but Cam might also put his foot down and take this team to great wins next year. I believe he can.

Not even going to mention the other positions because we are obviously stacked and ready to roll. Point is this team made a lot out of a little this year and last year. This team played with a grit and determination we have not seen for YEARS. As our O-line and D-line improves this program should take off and make another run in a year or two. Previous staff didn't invest enough in the trenches and it shows still. But that's changing. It's ALL about the trenches!

MTGRZ said:
Another over-reaction thread. The program as a whole is going in the right direction. If you can't see that, that's on you. This team busted their asses. Started 2 CBs that were brought in as WR. One of those CBs played TWO YEARS as a productive WR. Safties were all set up for run stop-Fouch will be excellent in coverage next year. O-line was another patchwork with a center that played like 4 different positions before this year. One of our YOUNG O-linemen was a QB before this year....D-line is super young and will only improve now that we have a bit of depth, and more time in the weight room. QB might be an interesting position battle this spring....but Cam might also put his foot down and take this team to great wins next year. I believe he can.

Not even going to mention the other positions because we are obviously stacked and ready to roll. Point is this team made a lot out of a little this year and last year. This team played with a grit and determination we have not seen for YEARS. As our O-line and D-line improves this program should take off and make another run in a year or two. Previous staff didn't invest enough in the trenches and it shows still. But that's changing. It's ALL about the trenches!
It certainly does. Even so, what Hauck and the staff did with bringing in new talent and coaching them up was just amazing. Remember this quote from Jerome Souers on another thread:
"To get it back, to do it in a couple years is nothing short of remarkable,” Souers said. “The areas that are the weakest, the ones that take the time to redevelop, you’re talking about the line of scrimmage. All the other parts that you can fix quickly have been fixed and redirected. There’s a lot of promise and hope in their program."

Arguably this was a good season but the biggest game was in Bozeman. No not because we need to beat the cats but it was for the # 3 seed and the big sky conference. That’s a big game that we were to “spent” to play in. Friday night was an offensive, and special teams disaster in a big game that we could have won had we executed and not had 6 yes 6 turnovers. Why Bobby didn’t sit Sneed for a series and let him get things figured out is beyond me. What happened to his “ball security is job security” policy. The 2019 Griz Football team was a hell of a good football team that met its fate because poor execution on offense and a stupid special teams play. Last year turnovers were the Achilles Heal and Friday night was no different.

IdaGriz01 said:
MTGRZ said:

It certainly does. Even so, what Hauck and the staff did with bringing in new talent and coaching them up was just amazing. Remember this quote from Jerome Souers on another thread:
"To get it back, to do it in a couple years is nothing short of remarkable,” Souers said. “The areas that are the weakest, the ones that take the time to redevelop, you’re talking about the line of scrimmage. All the other parts that you can fix quickly have been fixed and redirected. There’s a lot of promise and hope in their program."

I agree with you and that quote. This team has a TON of talent, but not a lot of developed depth on the offensive and defensive lines. Look at the 4 teams left. They all have excellent play in the trenches. Previous HC did not prioritize the big uglies as much as he should have. Against equal and lesser talent the Griz blew them out because of skill. Matched up against teams with excellent lines and the Griz have shown they didn't have the developed depth to compete for four quarters. That is all changing, in my opinion.

To all of those butt-hurt, Saturday morning armchair quarterbacks move on, its over, it’s done, finished, period. I’m sure Bobby and staff have tuned into egriz to so what needs to be done to take us to the next level. I’m sure Bobby had no clue as to why we lost. Now the egriz brain trust has set the record straight. Woulda, shoulda coulda.
I’ve been watching Griz football from the early 60’s when wins were few and far and in between. Be thankful for what we have. The Griz will return to dominate the BSC,

nzone said:
Arguably this was a good season but the biggest game was in Bozeman. No not because we need to beat the cats but it was for the # 3 seed and the big sky conference. That’s a big game that we were to “spent” to play in. Friday night was an offensive, and special teams disaster in a big game that we could have won had we executed and not had 6 yes 6 turnovers. Why Bobby didn’t sit Sneed for a series and let him get things figured out is beyond me. What happened to his “ball security is job security” policy. The 2019 Griz Football team was a hell of a good football team that met its fate because poor execution on offense and a stupid special teams play. Last year turnovers were the Achilles Heal and Friday night was no different.

out of the four losses this season, the one in Bozeman is the only one i find concerning. losing a close game on the road in the quarterfinals is nothing to be ashamed of. getting thumped by Sac St on the road when they were rolling doesn't bother me. the Oregon game was actually pretty solid, considering they ended up as PAC 12 champions. but to play so flat, so sloppy in Bozeman is worrisome. i recognize they are a good team (still lost to UND and Sac) but that game should not have been a 34 point margin. filling the stadium, energizing the base, and winning the in-state student enrollment battle are all facets that are strongly correlated to winning that one game every year. or once every four years. or at least competing.

Was it a disappointing finish? Yes. Was it a disappointing season? No way! Looking forward to next season already!

This just in......”Big Games” means both teams are very good. Unless you’re the T-Buffs, you’re probably gonna be close to 50/50 on them.

BozAngelesGriz said:
nzone said:

out of the four losses this season, the one in Bozeman is the only one i find concerning. losing a close game on the road in the quarterfinals is nothing to be ashamed of. getting thumped by Sac St on the road when they were rolling doesn't bother me. the Oregon game was actually pretty solid, considering they ended up as PAC 12 champions. but to play so flat, so sloppy in Bozeman is worrisome. i recognize they are a good team (still lost to UND and Sac) but that game should not have been a 34 point margin. filling the stadium, energizing the base, and winning the in-state student enrollment battle are all facets that are strongly correlated to winning that one game every year. or once every four years. or at least competing.

I get what you're saying, and I KIND OF agree, but not 100%. The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes, but I'm pretty sure they know that and will adjust. On to the 2020 campaign. Go Griz!

MTGRZ said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
nzone said:

I get what you're saying, and I KIND OF agree, but not 100%. The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes, but I'm pretty sure they know that and will adjust. On to the 2020 campaign. Go Griz!

The guys were undefeated at home and dominated all of them games. When is the last time that happened? It is building. I have faith that very shortly every and any team the Griz play at home or away will just say that's a loss for us hopefully we win the rest.

MTGRZ said:
The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes
Tell that to the defense. Covering for 5 ints, they gave up 10 points, 8 1st downs and 113 yards total offense to the #3 seed. That is so flat! Get a life.

Back