Gavin Robertson vs Keith Thompson

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
Post Reply
StumptownGriz
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 am

Who's the harder hitter? Where do they rank as hardest hitters in program history? Discuss.....
alabamagrizzly
Posts: 3905
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

Please, pound for pound there’s no question. Sure when a Mac Truck takes you out, you expect to not get up. When you get waylayed ass over teakettle by a Mini Cooper!? People gonna notice.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

Thompson. Jimmy Wilson and colt Anderson were also harder hitters IMO.
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

alabamagrizzly wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Please, pound for pound there’s no question. Sure when a Mac Truck takes you out, you expect to not get up. When you get waylayed ass over teakettle by a Mini Cooper!? People gonna notice.
More pounds delivered by GR. But hardness of hit is all about closing speed - the last two steps (E=mvv).
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - Webb Wilder
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

hm.grwn.grizfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:23 pm
Thompson. Jimmy Wilson and colt Anderson were also harder hitters IMO.
Tim Hauck. The others are not on Madden's all-time team.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - Webb Wilder
StumptownGriz
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 am

Thompson had a few of the biggest highlight hits in Griz history. His hit on Matt Cline of App St. made him a legend, but the consistent physical pounding that Gavin Robertson has been unleashing is absolutely brutal.

Fun debate for sure and Tim Hauck belongs at the top of the list for sure.

Would've been fun or scary to see what Keith Thompson could have done playing safety instead of Corner.
User avatar
MissoulaMarinerFan
Posts: 3181
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 am

In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

The good hits today usually result in a slow targeting booth evaluation these days. Kills the fun.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - Webb Wilder
hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.
And there would be a flag for that hit today...sad
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -
SaskGriz
Posts: 2402
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

hm.grwn.grizfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm
MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.
And there would be a flag for that hit today...sad
I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the APP ST hit on Matt Cline, the hit on the SDSU TE is all shoulder and Thompsons helmet is actually off to one side. 100% clean. (I did have to backtrack a while back on the Cline hit because he does lead with his helmet and would get flagged today)
User avatar
MissoulaMarinerFan
Posts: 3181
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 am
hm.grwn.grizfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm
MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.
And there would be a flag for that hit today...sad
I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the APP ST hit on Matt Cline, the hit on the SDSU TE is all shoulder and Thompsons helmet is actually off to one side. 100% clean. (I did have to backtrack a while back on the Cline hit because he does lead with his helmet and would get flagged today)
I'm pretty sure he popped him in the chest / stomach area too. Wasn't even a high shot.
User avatar
Dillon
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I personally don't think we should have this discussion until the end of Robertson's time at Montana!
hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

SaskGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 am
hm.grwn.grizfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm
MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.
And there would be a flag for that hit today...sad
I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the APP ST hit on Matt Cline, the hit on the SDSU TE is all shoulder and Thompsons helmet is actually off to one side. 100% clean. (I did have to backtrack a while back on the Cline hit because he does lead with his helmet and would get flagged today)
Not flagged for targeting, but for a hit on a defenseless receiver. They’ve been calling that a lot lately on otherwise clean hits
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -
hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

Dillon wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 am
I personally don't think we should have this discussion until the end of Robertson's time at Montana!
You are correct. He still has a whole season left
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -
Post Reply