Beau Baldwin returning to the Big Sky

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
alabamagrizzly

Great Day To Be An Eagle wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am
Y'all get Poly and EWU back to back early next season.
Two early wins? Good deal!
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
BadlandsGrizFan

Htowngriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:49 am
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:36 am
Dang...SLO gotta be a lot easier place to recruit to then Cheney.

Look out for Poly in a couple years.
Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.
Idk man, people always say that, yet they find a way to get these teams filled. You could say the same thing for Stanford.
Montana is no place for the idler, the penniless, the feeble in will or body!
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club

dupuyer griz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 am
I guess we can safely assume that cal poly will no longer run a triple option.
Not unless all three options are passing options. :lol:
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.
Rxgrzz

I’m thinking he will do well at Poly. Wish we would have neen able to hire Baldwin instead of Stitt.
info
eGriz Club

What happened to “I’ll never coach another Big Sky team after Eastern”.
Fan support isn't even worth arguing. UND has fans, Eastern has a bunch of Airway Heights drunks who couldn't score Coug tickets.
Great Day To Be An Eagle

info wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm
Did he say that when he left? I don't remember that

Rxgrzz

Pretty sure he did.
get'em_griz
eGriz Club

Great Day To Be An Eagle wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:54 pm
info wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm
Did he say that when he left? I don't remember that
I think he said that when there was speculation that maybe he was interviewing for the UM job opening in 2015.
2012 UM Alumnus
Total Home Games attended: 81 and counting...
Total Road Games attended: 13 ('07 State, '08 EWU, '08 NC, '14 UW, '14 EWU, '15 PSU, '15 NDSU, '16 EWU, ‘17 UW, ‘17 PSU, ‘17 ISU, ‘17 WSU, ‘17 State)
indian-outlaw

Grizzlies1982 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:21 am
BozAngelesGriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 am
EverettGriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 am
This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.
Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?
Choate didn’t leave a million dollar salary. He was an assistant to an assistant at UDub. He may have taken a pay cut coming to MSU but not a large one.

As to Baldwin, Cal hasn’t been rolling with him as coordinator. He is a very talented coach but may be on thin ice. He should do well at Poly (given some time).
Choate went from ~375K to ~175K when he went to Bozeman. Not sure if that's large or not.
Cal Poly may have a higher ceiling that EWU but it is a different animal when it comes to recruiting. I would assume that many athletes he is use to getting will not cut the mustard at CP. But the door will open for the higher academic achieving athlete to play in his system.
"If you get to thinking' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around" Will Rogers
grizpack
eGriz Club

Was he about to get fired at Cal? I don't follow them, but know they weren't good this year.
MikeyGriz

Will be interesting to see how long it will take to get the personnel changed over from triple option.
I don't watch CNN for the same reason I don't drink out of the toilet bowl!
indian-outlaw

grizpack wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm
Was he about to get fired at Cal? I don't follow them, but know they weren't good this year.
7-5 at Cal will not get you fired. Especially with a win over arch rival Stanford.
"If you get to thinking' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around" Will Rogers
George Ferguson
Former Name: havgrizfan

grizpack wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm
From what I was hearing weeks ago, he was going to be fired. He and Wilcox are friends but, a lot of people very unhappy with Cal's offense, and they were going to have to part ways. Getting a job though gives Wilcox the out to not have to let him go, but from what I heard, he was going to be gone one way or another after the season was over.

As for Poly, if Beau completely overhauls the offense immediately, man that's going to take some real tricky work with scholarships Gonna have to essentially take a lot of guys schollies away so they can give them to more WR's, QB's TE's and bigger OL. I'm sure they have plenty of running backs and maybe a few skill guys, but I don't think Poly has the OL to convert and I know they don't have enough WR's and basically, every QB on the roster is now not good enough. It will be interesting to see what they look like come next September in Missoula.
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

Just for reference:

Beau Baldwin
UC Berkeley
ASC HEAD COACH CRD 4
2018: $650,000
2017: $603,750

Timothy E Walsh
CSU San Luis Obispo
ADMINISTRATOR IV
$246,275.00
$240,882

Source: SacBee database.
SloStang

Also for reference Cal Poly just paid new Basketball coach John Smith $350,000 per year.
daGrizJ
eGriz Club

Maybe a pay cut could be a good thing. Baldwin doesn't look like he's missed any meals in the last few years.
"I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see into the future, but it's always way off to the side"
....Steven Wright.....
fltheadgriz

Well some good news about this.
The Griz do not have to prepare for the stinking triple option the week before they play Cal Poly
Ursa Major
eGriz Club

daGrizJ wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm
Maybe a pay cut could be a good thing. Baldwin doesn't look like he's missed any meals in the last few years.
Too late. 1/4 of Baldwin's pay is contractually paid in In-N-Out Burger gift certificates. It's been that way since Zips in Cheney.
Post Like A Champion!
kemajic
eGriz Club

fltheadgriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 pm
The Griz do not have to prepare for the stinking triple option the week before they play Cal Poly
How successful were we in preparing for a BB offense at EWU?
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - Webb Wilder
SloStang

kemajic wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 pm
fltheadgriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 pm
How successful were we in preparing for a BB offense at EWU?
EWU score 32 or more points against the Griz in 7 of 10 games he coached. He was also 6-4 against the Griz.