• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beau Baldwin returning to the Big Sky

Griz til I die

DONOR
https://mobile.twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1204066323493507073?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Da Boyz Mom said:
That's an interesting move. I wonder how much success he will be able to have there.

I would assume that the ceiling at Cal Poly is much higher than at EWU, if Beau is able to turn Poly into a constant contender.

This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.

Sometimes, things just don’t work out at the next level, or you just miss being a head coach. Regardless, this is a home run hire for Cal Poly. The coaching in the BigSky may be the best it’s ever been.

Griz til I die said:
Sometimes, things just don’t work out at the next level, or you just miss being a head coach. Regardless, this is a home run hire for Cal Poly. The coaching in the BigSky may be the best it’s ever been.

Agreed. This hire has to exceed all expectations.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Dang...SLO gotta be a lot easier place to recruit to then Cheney.

Look out for Poly in a couple years.

Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.

Must admit I didn’t see that coming. Guy must really miss being a head coach. CP just got a lot better. May take a while as the current players are set up as triple option including their QBs so will need to get his roster right.

High academic qualification standards exist, and exceptions probably will not be allowed.

DuCharme said:
He was able to accept academically struggling athletes at EWU. Same at CPSLO?

EverettGriz said:
This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.

Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?

BozAngelesGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?

Choate didn’t leave a million dollar salary. He was an assistant to an assistant at UDub. He may have taken a pay cut coming to MSU but not a large one.

As to Baldwin, Cal hasn’t been rolling with him as coordinator. He is a very talented coach but may be on thin ice. He should do well at Poly (given some time).

Htowngriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Dang...SLO gotta be a lot easier place to recruit to then Cheney.

Look out for Poly in a couple years.

Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.

That hasn't held back Hawkins from building UC Davis. I think if CP at least makes an effort to recruit the upside of FCS potential they'll start to turn a lot of heads. I think Baldwin will be able to persuade some guys who might otherwise try to walk on at USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, etc.

In my judgment, Baldwin will siphon from the pipeline the Cats and Griz have had going and make it tougher for us.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Apparently when BB told ewu, "It's not you, it's me", it really was "them."

CP has pretty solid academic standards. He would not be able to recruit some of the same students he did at EWU. However, SLO is also a pretty cool place if you are a kid, and like sun, warm weather, etc. I had a relative who went to school there, and absolutely loved it. Really good hire by CP.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Apparently when BB told ewu, "It's not you, it's me", it really was "them."

:lol: :clap: :lol:

There are certainly some moves that would be considered upgrades. But cheney to SLO??!?!! That's akin to the middle seat in row 44 by the lav that someone just took an explosive dump in to having first class on Emirates all to yourself.

Back