Beau Baldwin returning to the Big Sky

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
Griz til I die
eGriz Club

I was told before the game started not to encourage the students to start my favorite chant, but you did it any way (FTC)- Bobby Hauck. UM Student and lifelong #1 Griz fan
dupuyer griz
eGriz Club

I guess we can safely assume that cal poly will no longer run a triple option.
Da Boyz Mom
eGriz Club

That's an interesting move. I wonder how much success he will be able to have there.
get'em_griz
eGriz Club

Da Boyz Mom wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 am
That's an interesting move. I wonder how much success he will be able to have there.
I would assume that the ceiling at Cal Poly is much higher than at EWU, if Beau is able to turn Poly into a constant contender.
2012 UM Alumnus
Total Home Games attended: 81 and counting...
Total Road Games attended: 13 ('07 State, '08 EWU, '08 NC, '14 UW, '14 EWU, '15 PSU, '15 NDSU, '16 EWU, ‘17 UW, ‘17 PSU, ‘17 ISU, ‘17 WSU, ‘17 State)
DuCharme

He was able to accept academically struggling athletes at EWU. Same at CPSLO?
EverettGriz
eGriz Club

This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.
Booze is the duct tape of life.
Griz til I die
eGriz Club

Sometimes, things just don’t work out at the next level, or you just miss being a head coach. Regardless, this is a home run hire for Cal Poly. The coaching in the BigSky may be the best it’s ever been.
I was told before the game started not to encourage the students to start my favorite chant, but you did it any way (FTC)- Bobby Hauck. UM Student and lifelong #1 Griz fan
EverettGriz
eGriz Club

Griz til I die wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 am
Sometimes, things just don’t work out at the next level, or you just miss being a head coach. Regardless, this is a home run hire for Cal Poly. The coaching in the BigSky may be the best it’s ever been.
Agreed. This hire has to exceed all expectations.
BadlandsGrizFan

Dang...SLO gotta be a lot easier place to recruit to then Cheney.

Look out for Poly in a couple years.
Montana is no place for the idler, the penniless, the feeble in will or body!
Htowngriz

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:36 am

Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club

Must admit I didn’t see that coming. Guy must really miss being a head coach. CP just got a lot better. May take a while as the current players are set up as triple option including their QBs so will need to get his roster right.
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Club

High academic qualification standards exist, and exceptions probably will not be allowed.
DuCharme wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:24 am
He was able to accept academically struggling athletes at EWU. Same at CPSLO?
BozAngelesGriz

EverettGriz wrote:
This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.
Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?
"Stay on target"
Grizzlies1982

BozAngelesGriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 am
EverettGriz wrote:
Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?
Choate didn’t leave a million dollar salary. He was an assistant to an assistant at UDub. He may have taken a pay cut coming to MSU but not a large one.

As to Baldwin, Cal hasn’t been rolling with him as coordinator. He is a very talented coach but may be on thin ice. He should do well at Poly (given some time).
Survey says: Playoffs are more fun when the Grizzlies are in them.
Great Day To Be An Eagle

Y'all get Poly and EWU back to back early next season.

Cledus

Htowngriz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:49 am
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:

Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.
That hasn't held back Hawkins from building UC Davis. I think if CP at least makes an effort to recruit the upside of FCS potential they'll start to turn a lot of heads. I think Baldwin will be able to persuade some guys who might otherwise try to walk on at USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, etc.

In my judgment, Baldwin will siphon from the pipeline the Cats and Griz have had going and make it tougher for us.
Ursa Major
eGriz Club

EverettGriz wrote:
Griz til I die wrote:
Apparently when BB told ewu, "It's not you, it's me", it really was "them."
Post Like A Champion!
armonte
eGriz Club

CalPoly has high admission standards, Baldwin is toast.
armonte
grizpack
eGriz Club

CP has pretty solid academic standards. He would not be able to recruit some of the same students he did at EWU. However, SLO is also a pretty cool place if you are a kid, and like sun, warm weather, etc. I had a relative who went to school there, and absolutely loved it. Really good hire by CP.
EverettGriz
eGriz Club

Ursa Major wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 am
EverettGriz wrote:
Griz til I die wrote:
Apparently when BB told ewu, "It's not you, it's me", it really was "them."
:lol: :clap: :lol:

There are certainly some moves that would be considered upgrades. But cheney to SLO??!?!! That's akin to the middle seat in row 44 by the lav that someone just took an explosive dump in to having first class on Emirates all to yourself.