• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The World of Griz Fandom

Plainsman

There are many iterations of Griz fandom. After fallout from the Loss of the Century, I believe I have identified a few obvious fan classifications. Some fans may exhibit traits of more than one classification:

-Fans who will accept the Loss without "too much" hysteria and blame gaming and move on fairly quickly. (May be the smallest classification of Griz fan only a day after the Loss of the Century).

-Fans who will never accept the Loss, who are at least mildly hysterical, and have found multiple culprits to blame for the Loss (including other posters, who know nothing about football and have never played the game).

-Fans who point out the team record, say that it exceeds virtually everyone's preseason expectations and therefore the Loss of the Century really isn't that bad and, anyway, we will crush teams in the playoffs, including the Cats, who we will likely meet again to obtain sweet revenge.

-Fans who point out that the team record, pre Loss of the Century, justified an expectation that the team would not lose big in a lackluster fashion to the team's biggest rival.

-Fans, who recently were sure the team had RTD'd, now evince the opinion that both O and D lines suck and the team needs to recruit Pro Level linemen as the answer and that will make everything really RTD.

-Fans, who recently were sure the team had RTD'd, now suddenly realize that hasn't happened and suspect the evil twin UNLV Bobby stepped in for the rivalry game and will now remain to return the team to mediocrity.

-Fans who just go on the forum for the pure joy of engaging in rude, insulting, and at times nonsensical arguments with other fans, which argument often continue for pages without resolve and often veer so far off topic that no one can remember the subject of the original post.

Well - these are a few fan classifications that I have noticed. I'm sure I have missed some and some of the classifications appear miraculously joined in some fans who cross the classified lines or engage in more than one consistently.

What classifications can you add to the list, criticize or argue with? Have a little fun the day after the Loss of the Century!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: evince ?

I was disappointed by team's performance this weekend, impressed last weekend, but did not buy tickets to the Nat'l Championship game.

And fans who lack perspective and objectivity that declare a loss as the Loss of the Century. Don't know if you were serious or joking.

I was struck by the large number of posters who seemed put the season, progress and Cat loss in perspective, and while, of course, more than disappointed by the loss, are looking forward and anticipating the playoffs. And even defended the team and coaches from some of the extreme nut cases who appear after losses.

Most of the extreme outright stupid comments did not come from regular posters.

I sure hope the Griz get a bye, as it may take some time to recover from the loss. I assumed the team was/is shocked, both by the loss and bow it occurred. I felt a bit sick as the game went on and the outcome was clear, but feel fine now and am looking forward to the playoffs. At a minimum, this team is very good.

In an ideal world, and while I appreciate rivalries, I'd like to see opposing teams, and fans of the MT rivalry in particular, be a bit more realistic and show a bit more respect for the other team. I suspect that a number of fans of both teams, including message board posters, realized that both teams were likely to be good or pretty good this season, and both had good coaching staffs, but I don't recall anyone other than myself saying positive things about the Cats and Choate before and during the season. Perhaps more posters of each team can show a bit more respect for the other teams, at least as the playoffs begin. Both teams are clearly very good, and have good potential in the playoffs.

I know some of you can't ever do this, and I'm fine with that, but I will be rooting for the Cats to do well in the playoffs, if and until they meet the Griz again.

PlayerRep said:
And fans who lack perspective and objectivity that declare a loss as the Loss of the Century. Don't know if you were serious or joking.

I was struck by the large number of posters who seemed put the season, progress and Cat loss in perspective, and while, of course, more than disappointed by the loss, are looking forward and anticipating the playoffs. And even defended the team and coaches from some of the extreme nut cases who appear after losses.

I sure hope the Griz get a bye, as it may take some time to recover from the loss. I assumed the team was/is shocked, both by the loss and bow it occurred. I felt a bit sick as the game went on and the outcome was clear, but feel fine now and am looking forward to the playoffs. At a minimum, this team is very good.

PR - the post was just meant to have some fun and divert folks post game. Loss of the Century was firmly tongue in cheek.

Last years loss hurt a lot more than this years. Playoff bound is part of the process of getting Griz back to where people who care about a season...vs Bobcat Griz game. Can’t lie I have enjoyed the last 33 years of 24-9 record against the Kitties, but I’ve never viewed this game as the “season”

lochlaven said:
Egriz club members who criticize posts and generally behave as if egriz only belong to them.

I don't know if this post is leveled at me but I stand by what I wrote last night. The biggest knuckleheads posting last night were not eGriz regulars.

Lots of soft, fragile, drunken drama queens.

Plainsman said:
PlayerRep said:

PR - the post was just meant to have some fun and divert folks post game. Loss of the Century was firmly tongue in cheek.

Got it. What I figured but wasn’t sure. I enjoyed your post. Thx.

lochlaven said:
Egriz club members who criticize posts and generally behave as if egriz only belong to them.

Egriz posters who think they criticize any team, player or coach, but no one should say anything negative on their posts and views.

jtgriz2 said:
Last years loss hurt a lot more than this years. Playoff bound is part of the process of getting Griz back to where people who care about a season...vs Bobcat Griz game. Can’t lie I have enjoyed the last 33 years of 24-9 record against the Kitties, but I’ve never viewed this game as the “season”

Good post. I agree.

Ursa Major said:
lochlaven said:

I don't know if this post is leveled at me but I stand by what I wrote last night. The biggest knuckleheads posting last night were not eGriz regulars.

Yep. EGriz regulars know the Griz are still a work in progress. Most of the issues with the team are not suprises to this who pay attention. BH worked to fix them, but frankly it is not easy to get quick fixes - specifically in the trenches and secondary.

Egriz regulars also know this team is still young..

I love the playoff bracket for the Griz. BYE, home game, and possible match up with Weber...good stuff.

And my 2-cents worth- I have been observing this rivalry as long as I can remember, which means since around 1955 or so. I have never rooted for the Bobcats to win against the Griz, but I have also never rooted for the Bobcats to lose to anyone but the Griz. I always have been,am,and will be, a Montana Boy first, and IMHO, that means supporting and rooting for all Montana teams that are not playing the Griz. I really enjoy the good hearted side of the Cat-Griz rivalry, and love the laughs that good natured ribbing and humorous comments provided by it. I personally detest the darker side provided by both sides with all the professed hatred and bad mouthing that so often gets out of control, again, IMHO. I feel this season has been an
unqualified success given the predictions of a lot on this forum before it began. One game, indeed, does not make a season, or lose it! We are obviously still in the game with a future ahead of us. GO GRIZ !

PlayerRep said:
In an ideal world, and while I appreciate rivalries, I'd like to see opposing teams, and fans of the MT rivalry in particular, be a bit more realistic and show a bit more respect for the other team. I suspect that a number of fans of both teams, including message board posters, realized that both teams were likely to be good or pretty good this season, and both had good coaching staffs, but I don't recall anyone other than myself saying positive things about the Cats and Choate before and during the season. Perhaps more posters of each team can show a bit more respect for the other teams, at least as the playoffs begin. Both teams are clearly very good, and have good potential in the playoffs.

I know some of you can't ever do this, and I'm fine with that, but I will be rooting for the Cats to do well in the playoffs, if and until they meet the Griz again.
Yeah, that "real 37" thread you started was nothing but kind words. :lol: The only nice things you had to say about the cats this season was Traitorak compliments. It's called hate PR and it ain't going anywhere in this rivalry. I will never have a kind word to say to a fan base that wears "Dumb" hats chants "eat shit Grizzlies go cats go" during EVERY game, burns teddy bears before EVERY game and players that yell F>>CK YOU! to little girls in the stands after a win. I will never have a kind word to say because I will never hear one in return. The hell with em I hope they lose in the first round by 100 points because they will wish the same on us.

grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:

Yeah, that "real 37" thread you started was nothing but kind words. :lol: The only nice things you had to say about the cats this season was Traitorak compliments. It's called hate PR and it ain't going anywhere in this rivalry. I will never have a kind word to say to a fan base that wears "Dumb" hats chants "eat shit Grizzlies go cats go" during EVERY game, burns teddy bears before EVERY game and players that yell F>>CK YOU! to little girls in the stands after a win. I will never have a kind word to say because I will never hear one in return. The hell with em I hope they lose in the first round by 100 points because they will wish the same on the Griz.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
lochlaven said:

Yep. EGriz regulars know the Griz are still a work in progress. Most of the issues with the team are not suprises to this who pay attention. BH worked to fix them, but frankly it is not easy to get quick fixes - specifically in the trenches and secondary.

I love the playoff bracket for the Griz. BYE, home game, and possible match up with Weber...good stuff.

+1 Very excited to be back in the playoffs and looking forward to December football :clap:

grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:

Yeah, that "real 37" thread you started was nothing but kind words. :lol: The only nice things you had to say about the cats this season was Traitorak compliments. It's called hate PR and it ain't going anywhere in this rivalry. I will never have a kind word to say to a fan base that wears "Dumb" hats chants "eat shit Grizzlies go cats go" during EVERY game, burns teddy bears before EVERY game and players that yell F>>CK YOU! to little girls in the stands after a win. I will never have a kind word to say because I will never hear one in return. The hell with em I hope they lose in the first round by 100 points because they will wish the same on us.

I didn't start a real 37 thread.

I have consistently said since the summer that the Cats were going to be good, were good, Choate was a good coach, and Choate was taking the Cats in the right diretion and should have been rehired. And the Griz fans should not underestimate the Cats. Ask the reasonable Cat posters. They surely saw my support.

Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
lochlaven said:

+1 Very excited to be back in the playoffs and looking forward to December football :clap:
No your not you Hauck hater piece of trash. The only thing you want is a Griz loss so you talk crap about the head coach. Own it or go back to sea world!

PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:

I didn't start a real 37 thread.

I have consistently said since the summer that the Cats were going to be good, were good, Choate was a good coach, and Choate was taking the Cats in the right diretion and should have been rehired. And the Griz fans should not underestimate the Cats. Ask the reasonable Cat posters. They surely saw my support.
Those cat fans hate you with every fiber in their soul.

Back