• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Safety positioning

Maxim

DONOR
I noticed today that when the opposing offense is in a passing situation, Hauck plays way to shallow. Because he is too shallow and peaking in the backfield most of the time he cannot get back deep enough to help the corners. On almost all the deep throws our corners were one on one, but they should have had more deep help over the top.

Maxim said:
I noticed today that when the opposing offense is in a passing situation, Hauck plays way to shallow. Because he is too shallow and peaking in the backfield most of the time he cannot get back deep enough to help the corners. On almost all the deep throws our corners were one on one, but they should have had more deep help over the top.

I am comfortable with Calhoun, defending 1 on 1. He hardly ever gets beat by his assignment. When passes come his way, he forces his WR to make a great play. He is consistently in position to contest passes coming his way. Nash has solid ball skills, but seems to struggle against the better route runners.

As is, I'd like to see more of Fouch (sp?) playing on passing downs, and against passing teams. I really like his skill set.

mtgrizrule said:
Maxim said:

I am comfortable with Calhoun, defending 1 on 1. He hardly ever gets beat by his assignment. When passes come his way, he forces his WR to make a great play. He is consistently in position to contest passes coming his way. Nash has solid ball skills, but seems to struggle against the better route runners.

As is, I'd like to see more of Fouch (sp?) playing on passing downs, and against passing teams. I really like his skill set.
I agree that Fouch as a former receiver might have a better grasp on guarding receivers and he seems to have to physical tools as well. Nice option to have.

Fouch played more than I’ve seen him before, and he was awesome. He had a phenomenal pass break up on a deep ball (something we haven’t seen much of from our safeties) and he had a pick with a great return. He definitely looks the part and seems way better in pass coverage.

I really think Robbie is one helluva Safety. However, I think he is a little overplaying the run. We all know that he is a great form Tackler, but needs to adjust to down and distance and the opponents tendencies. I also saw him cheating up a little . kinda concerned me and i am sure the defensive secondary coach as well. GoGriz, we need this one coming up...

HookedonGriz said:
Fouch played more than I’ve seen him before, and he was awesome. He had a phenomenal pass break up on a deep ball (something we haven’t seen much of from our safeties) and he had a pick with a great return. He definitely looks the part and seems way better in pass coverage.

I didn't pay attention real well, but whom was Fouch in for?

Maxim said:

What coverage was he in? What coverages were they playing during the game? What is his responsibility in those coverages?

You are clueless to all those questions and have no idea what you're talking about.

Griz#64 said:
I really think Robbie is one helluva Safety. However, I think he is a little overplaying the run. We all know that he is a great form Tackler, but needs to adjust to down and distance and the opponents tendencies. I also saw him cheating up a little . kinda concerned me and i am sure the defensive secondary coach as well. GoGriz, we need this one coming up...

You realize the position he plays is a damn near a middle linebacker that lines up deep so zone schemes don't account for him right? Brian Urlacher was the original one to play this position, I think he played run fairly well.

What coverages was he in when you saw him creeping up? What pass concepts was he attacked on, because he was cheating up?

Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

What coverage was he in? What coverages were they playing during the game? What is his responsibility in those coverages?

You are clueless to all those questions and have no idea what you're talking about.

I think for the most part Robby is doing exactly what he is supposed to. The coaches arent stupid they see the lapses in coverage and have a game plan to play the best defense we can. Robby isnt stupid either and is, I am sure for the most part, doing what they tell him. So I have to think the lapses in coverage are the unfortunate product of other teams calling and making good plays against what our coaches think are the best defensive schemes for our team and Robby is playing his role pretty much how they want him to.

Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

Coach Hauck? Whatchu doin on Egriz?

firmgriz said:
Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

Lol. Former college coach. I like defending coaches in general from fans who think they know what they are talking about.

Missoula223 said:
firmgriz said:
Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

Lol. Former college coach. I like defending coaches in general from fans who think they know what they are talking about.

:D :thumb: :clap:

So 223 you call out a poster for showing frustration, call him uniformed, ask him questions but offer no explanation. So please correct him about coverages etc..with some answers.

Go Griz!

nzone said:
So 223 you call out a poster for showing frustration, call him uniformed, ask him questions but offer no explanation. So please correct him about coverages etc..with some answers.

Go Griz!

I am not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of the Griz defense, although I do know football and I know more goes on than any fan or reporter realizes. I would have to watch the tape and know the techniques that are being asked of each individual player along with why they are using said technique. The coaches and players are the only one that have those specific answers. However, I do think I am able to recognize certain coverages and fronts and may be able to provide answers as to why I personally believe they may be beneficial and why they may be detrimental, but this may not be the reason they are running those. I would be more than willing to discuss football terms in general, but again I can't say what the griz are trying to do specifically and neither can anyone on here.

I did notice the yesterday we started in what's called a mix coverage early on in the game, and Idaho ran some stutter outs, that put both the safety and a corner in a bind to the boundary. We started manning the slot and #1 receiver to the boundary which helped, and looked like we mixed in some form of cover 3 in the second half (I could be wrong about this, but I know we had a post player, and the boundary safety took over the flats which usually means some type of boundary insert). Again though in this scenario on each specific play I have no idea what is occurring in other positions as I was watching that specifically.

Does anyone have any idea why they lined up Rice in a 10? I have my own suspicions but this is what this forum should be about, not criticizing each player, but trying to figure out why they are doing those types of things.

Missoula223 said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

I am not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of the Griz defense, although I do know football and I know more goes on than any fan or reporter realizes. I would have to watch the tape and know the techniques that are being asked of each individual player along with why they are using said technique. The coaches and players are the only one that have those specific answers. However, I do think I am able to recognize certain coverages and fronts and may be able to provide answers as to why I personally believe they may be beneficial and why they may be detrimental, but this may not be the reason they are running those. I would be more than willing to discuss football terms in general, but again I can't say what the griz are trying to do specifically and neither can anyone on here.

I did notice the yesterday we started in what's called a mix coverage early on in the game, and Idaho ran some stutter outs, that put both the safety and a corner in a bind to the boundary. We started manning the slot and #1 receiver to the boundary which helped, and looked like we mixed in some form of cover 3 in the second half (I could be wrong about this, but I know we had a post player, and the boundary safety took over the flats which usually means some type of boundary insert). Again though in this scenario on each specific play I have no idea what is occurring in other positions as I was watching that specifically.

Does anyone have any idea why they lined up Rice in a 10? I have my own suspicions but this is what this forum should be about, not criticizing each player, but trying to figure out why they are doing those types of things.

That's really good analysis. It's very similar to what the Griz have done all season.

Not going to question any players ability at Safety, however as Sneed commented about having to watch from sideline due to injury has given him positive perspective about his own play. Fouch and McGinns being put in rotation would keep group fresh, and give players some sideline perspective.

I believe our secondary is basically in a man free scheme. ie; Playing man under 1 coverage with a free safety. I don't recall much Man under 2 playing halves or Cloud or sky coverage which is basic zone...They do have the option to have some zone on wide side and man on short side. It gets kinda hairy when they empty the backfield aligning in twins, or overloads, and have a mobile QB. It has been a while for me but with the shotgun, and 5 receivers, kinda glad i am just a fan.

Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

Sometimes we were in a cover 2. Other times we were in a run defensive formation and were on a cover 1. Some of these times they went four wide and we linebackers matched up on WR. The safety needs to recognize this and play deeper. Such as the play where O'Connell was running deep down the field, with no safety help and if the pass was caught would gave been a TD. Not all on Hauck Robertson gets out of position at times as well.

Maxim said:
Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:

Sometimes we were in a cover 2. Other times we were in a run defensive formation and were on a cover 1. Some of these times they went four wide and we linebackers matched up on WR. The safety needs to recognize this and play deeper. Such as the play where O'Connell was running deep down the field, with no safety help and if the pass was caught would gave been a TD. Not all on Hauck Robertson gets out of position at times as well.

Lol I saw very little cover 2. But if so, what is Robbys responsibility in 2? Is he the deep half player or his he the middle runner? Or are they playing 2 carry? I do agree there was a lot of man free, but what do the coaches want Haucks depth to be at? How do you know they didn't want him playing low hole instead of high hole? On the O'Connell play you are referring to, you think a post player is expected to make plays on the sideline? That's where the ball was almost completed. If so, that's absurd.

Missoula223 said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

Good analysis.

One thing I saw yesterday on alignment that was a concern for me.
In the first half when Idaho would line up on offense, Cotton would be spread out wide and one of our 2 corners would be on him. Then they would motion out of the backfield to that side and the running back would go wider than Cotton. At this point we rotated our corner out to cover the back and the safety would be on Cotton. This was a total mismatch, thought our safety should have kept coverage on the back and corner stay on Cotton. Not sure why we did what we did, seems like we were playing in to their call somewhat.

Back