• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 8-2

BWahlberg

DONOR
Getting this post game write up done while I’m taking an Uber ride home from Ricky’s Sports Bar in San Leandro. Being I’m typing it on my phone, I’ll be a little more brief here.

Once again a choppy start that has basically become the signature start for these Griz this year, however as always they finished strong and came away with a solid win. The opening to this game was about as bad as it could be on offense, two tough picks and a fumble that’s got to be frustrating. I’ll credit Idaho for coming out with some fire and playing tough early there. The fumble forced on Knight was just a great hit right on the ball to knock it loose. However after that the return of Dalton Sneed lit a spark in this team that had them rally back and out score Idaho 42-7 the rest of the way.

A few quick takeaways:

- in terms of a pass rush this d line just gets better each week. Awesome days for Babros, O’Connell, Gubner, and Mamula. This D line has really come a long ways over the season and will get their biggest test yet next week. I like that they’re peaking at the right time.

- This pass defense is what it is, not sure what more can be said. Opportunistic at the right time but still pretty error prone. I think if Idaho had a real QB instead of Petrino they would’ve had at least 14 more points on the board. Likes what I saw from Fouch today.

- Solid day from Ostmo, plugging in after the Knight fumble and having a good receiving and rushing day with multiple TDs.

- Idaho is maybe one of the most undisciplined teams I’ve seen in a long time. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

- Glad Dalton is ok after getting the wind knocked out of him. Worried about Akem though.

- Olson got fooled once by Petrino when scrambling but otherwise had himself another awesome day. Caught a few guys from behind, lead the team in stops, and even landed on a fumble.

- Mitch Roberts out there snagging every catch, and all hands... reminds me of another #80 we used to have. His future is bright. Love the WR depth on this team.

- Dalton looked a little rusty at times but seemed to shake off that rust a bit. A few underthrows, but overall a good day. Also glad Cam got back in so he didn’t have to finish out the day after getting yanked in the first.

- Toure is having such a great rebound season this year. I’m sure he wishes he had that contested catch in the endzone in the 3rd but overall a great day with a tremendous 1 handed grab and then an awesome design for a wide open TD.

- it was tough to tell but it seemed liked on TV they were rotating safeties a lot. Was there some frustration with the inconsistency in coverage perhaps?

- Watching Barry Sacks celebrate big plays is awesome.

That’s all I’ve got, others can add more, the Griz are at 8 wins on the season, with 2 more games to go. HUGE game on the horizon with Weber coming to town. I’m loving how far this team has come and I can’t wait to be back in Wa Griz to cheer them on next week!

Go Griz!

kurtismichael said:
fltheadgriz said:
Was it me or was Knight out for 1 quarter after his fumble?

He was out for at least a series or two I think. Might of been until after halftime.

Correct, knight didn’t see the field again until Q3. Post game you could still tell BH was upset about the fumble.

Fouch had a great game! Is he alright after getting tackled from behind when he intercepted and ran the ball?

fltheadgriz said:
Like what I saw from Manuma (sp?) on defense. The kid from PA.

Mamula. He reminds me of some other dominant DEs for the Griz in the past. He's going to be a force.

Kind of strange after the interception that should have gone to JLM that he wasn't targeted the rest of the game.

fltheadgriz said:
Kind of strange after the interception that should have gone to JLM that he wasn't targeted the rest of the game.

I was actually going to start a thread about that. JLM with zero touches today. THAT is strange, specially with Akem going out.

fltheadgriz said:
JLM didn't go get the ball. It almost looked like he thought it being thrown to someone else and held up. In his defense, the pass wasn't that close but it may have a situation that required that he play pass defender. Either way, really tough play.

fltheadgriz said:
Unless it is a swerve towards Weber

Don’t play who you don’t need to. If Cam had not started as rocky as he did Dalton would have remained on the sidelines. Chess match.

OrgonGriz said:
fltheadgriz said:

Don’t play who you don’t need to. If Cam had not started as rocky as he did Dalton would have remained on the sidelines. Chess match.

Incorrect, Dalton was going to see the field today no matter what. He was going to see probably a few series to get live again but thus we needed him to right the ship. I think Cam would have done fine still but that leadership was helpful I think

Not sure that "yanked" is really true. I think it was likely a decision made ahead of time to give some time to Cam+Dalton.

mtgrizfankb said:
OrgonGriz said:
fltheadgriz said:

Incorrect, Dalton was going to see the field today no matter what. He was going to see probably a few series to get live again but thus we needed him to right the ship. I think Cam would have done fine still but that leadership was helpful I think

You heard differently than I. I heard the hope was to not play him this week but would if they felt it was necessary.

grizindabox said:
mtgrizfankb said:
OrgonGriz said:
fltheadgriz said:

You heard differently than I. I heard the hope was to not play him this week but would if they felt it was necessary.

From my view Dalton was not 100% ready today. It was obvious to me that he was not interested in running very much, he stayed in the pocket for the most part and many of his throws were high. He was wincing a few times and the hit in the gut looked dangerous. He is a hell of a warrior, and he was the fire that probably won this game but he was only in there because of Cam's two 1st quarter picks. I'm glad they put Cam back in. Dalton needs more time.

Back