• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bring Back Our Pre-Game Flags Tradition

CampMissoula

Today’s Missoulian Sports Page (10/13/19) featured Frank Gogola’s fine thoroughly researched feature article about the history of the No. 37 Tradition. Ironically, the photo of defensive end Caleb Kidder shows him carrying the American flag onto the field pre-game, which (along with our State flag) was another important tradition that for some unknown reason disappeared last year. I've been told it was originally begun by Coach Hauck and am puzzled why it's now gone.

It would have been timely to bring back the flags out of the tunnel at our first home conference game and “Homecoming.” It didn’t happen! Despite contacting many in the administration and athletic department, my phone calls and letters about this issue have been ignored. Throughout Gogola’s article former Legacy players say tradition matters and representing their home state is a high honor. As Gogola further states, “it’s about...ideals that Montanans uphold both on and off the field.”

As a long-time season-ticket-holding-member of Griz Nation (and a lurker on this board), I hope my first post will generate interest and support for bringing back this meaningful home game tradition.

Further, you can read my letter to the editor in The Sunday Missoulian Opinion Page (9/22/19) about this.

I believe under Stitt, the Griz went away with some of the flag/prop traditions (although I believe he did still have someone carry a flag at times). I agree it is great seeing the traditions, but as long as the team keeps winning and is representing the state well in that regard, I trust Bobby to make the right calls on how to motivate the players.

Why change what’s working? Is there really a groundswell of support for adding yet another component to an already busy pregame?

AZGrizFan said:
Big Sage said:
Everyone does the flag deal. Even High School. Kinda old

Well, this IS America.

This IS America, yes?

6GEIUBw.jpg

The flags under Stitt got to be a little silly, I thought. I was under the impression that Hauck and staff pretty much nixed the flags. Like a lot of things under Stitt, the flags were a lot of pomp and circumstance, but not a lot of substance. Based on what we know about Hauck, I'd guess the staff isn't interested in displays of showmanship. An example is Akem no longer doing his first down celebration.

Jaredkuehn said:
The flags under Stitt got to be a little silly, I thought. I was under the impression that Hauck and staff pretty much nixed the flags. Like a lot of things under Stitt, the flags were a lot of pomp and circumstance, but not a lot of substance. Based on what we know about Hauck, I'd guess the staff isn't interested in displays of showmanship. An example is Akem no longer doing his first down celebration.

Did Hauck nix that?

AZGrizFan said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Did Hauck nix that?

Yep, Akem mentioned in an interview that he was told to stop with the first down celebrations. Makes sense as it would suck to get a big first down and then get flagged by the refs for unsportsmanlike conduct.

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1181693319383941125?s=20

OK so KISS - so old school - too much trouble & silly hoopla - however, what's wrong with the team carrying our Montana State Flag onto the field pre-game! Griz sports teams do play as Montanans. Oh dear, the Bobcats do it. Be nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing it, maybe on special occasions. The American flag during Armed Forces Appreciation day is appropriate. The pirate flag is more than appropriate for the Griz/cat game.

get'em_griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Did Hauck nix that?

no, stitt got rid of at least some of them, attempting to start a new culture at um. pretty sure that is one of his actions that drew some flak from long-time griz, and griz fans. greenie may (or may not) be able to confirm.

No.

The flags under Stitt got out of control. Running out of the tunnel with 10+ Montana flags? I get what they were doing, but it's like participation ribbons at that point.

If you want to carry out a flag, 1 American Flag and maybe 1 Montana flag. That's it.

The pirate flag was/is dumb. Do we need a flag to tell us it's a must win game? Nothing better than running that flag out and then losing the game. Makes us look dumb.

PeauxRouge said:
No.

The flags under Stitt got out of control. Running out of the tunnel with 10+ Montana flags? I get what they were doing, but it's like participation ribbons at that point.

If you want to carry out a flag, 1 American Flag and maybe 1 Montana flag. That's it.

The pirate flag was/is dumb. Do we need a flag to tell us it's a must win game? Nothing better than running that flag out and then losing the game. Makes us look dumb.

i thought that was delaney, and stitt reduced them, making people unhappy. egriz searches aren't the most helpful, but i'll give it a try. i'm probably remembering wrong.

argh! said:
PeauxRouge said:
No.

i thought that was delaney, and stitt reduced them, making people unhappy. egriz searches aren't the most helpful, but i'll give it a try. i'm probably remembering wrong.

I thought the opposite. I have some stitt era games recorded still, I'll see if the camera catches the tunnel run. I swear it was under Stitt that the flag explosion took place.

PeauxRouge said:
argh! said:
PeauxRouge said:
No.

I thought the opposite. I have some stitt era games recorded still, I'll see if the camera catches the tunnel run. I swear it was under Stitt that the flag explosion took place.

i was correct, for once. here is an older post from greenie:
"Traditions/Things that have changed this year
A bunch of flags not carried out on field by team at start of game. Just the hammer, which I believe ... after game, not to the parents. Did Griz Jacks come back? I haven't noticed. I know Stitt got rid of them. Pre-season practice back to Dornblaser. Some players kneeling in .."

argh! said:
PeauxRouge said:
argh! said:
PeauxRouge said:
No.

i was correct, for once. here is an older post from greenie:
"Traditions/Things that have changed this year
A bunch of flags not carried out on field by team at start of game. Just the hammer, which I believe ... after game, not to the parents. Did Griz Jacks come back? I haven't noticed. I know Stitt got rid of them. Pre-season practice back to Dornblaser. Some players kneeling in .."

What Stitt year is this coming from?

Back