• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS STATS Poll Guesses (Sept 21)

IdaGriz01

This was mostly a boring weekend -- aside from the Griz win -- and I might have just skipped this exercise. There were really only two upsets of ranked teams, and one of those had to go into overtime. However, the other upset will almost certainly have a major impact.

Guess, Team. (Record), [Current Ranking]
#1 NDSU (4-0) [1]
#2 James Madison (3-1) [2]
#3 South Dakota State (3-1) [3]
#4 Weber State (1-2) [6]
#5 Kennesaw State (3-1) [7]
#6 Montana State (3-1) [8]
#7 UC Davis (2-2) [4]
#8 Towson (3-1) [5]
#9 Northern Iowa (2-1) [9]
#10 Jacksonville State (3-1) [10]
#11 Maine (2-2) [12]
#12 Nicholls (2-1) [13]
#13 Villanova (4-0) [18]
#14 Central Arkansas (3-1) [14]
#15 Illinois State (2-2) [15]
#16 North Carolina A&T (2-1) [16]
#17 Furman (2-2) [17]
#18 Montana (3-1) [19]
#19 Delaware (3-1) [20]
#20 SE Louisiana (2-1) [21]
#21 SE Missouri State (2-2) [23]
#22 Elon (2-2) [22]
#23 Youngstown State (3-0) [24]
#24 The Citadel (2-2) [25]
#25 Princeton (1-0) NR

NR Eastern Washington (1-3) [11]

We’ll start with the “ordinary” stuff. The loss by UC-Davis at NDSU will cost them a few spots, with negative input from those who don’t know how close the game really was. So, I’m guessing about three down.

The fact that the Villanova at Towson went into overtime shows how close that game was. But ‘Nova was ranked “only” #18, so I’m guessing a drop of three for them also. On the other end, I’m thinking that Villanova will move up quite a bit. I would not normally give them as much of a bump (five) as I did this time, but the pollsters have fooled me on that already this season. In fact, an even bigger move up would not surprise me.

Central Arkansas and Elon lost to FBS opponents, so they shouldn’t be hurt at all. In fact, Central Arkansas looked pretty respectable at Hawai’i … which might even help them.

That brings us to the key change: EWU losing to unranked Idaho. Only a 4th quarter (partial) comeback made that game look close. The end result is that the Eagles are 0-3 in Division I games. Their only win was against D-II Lindenwood.

For me, that puts them in “free fall” out of the rankings. And, like him or not, Craig Haley is the FCS voice for STATS.com. His comment:
Craig Haley said:
… No. 11 Eastern Washington … who fell at rival Idaho 35-27 and may next plummet out of the Top 25.
That has got to be the kiss of death. It will be interesting to see how many votes EWU does get … but I very much doubt that they’ll come close to the top-25.

That allows everybody below #11 to nudge up at least one spot, including the Griz. I do not see any other interesting moves although, as suggested above, Central Arkansas’s nice effort might get them an extra bump. The replacement at the bottom is easy since the next lowest vote getter last week, Princeton, pounded Butler.

It’s not gonna happen this week, but I believe we’re on of the best teams in northwestern Montana! No, but seriously folks, I think we’re a top 5 team by the end of the season! This week’s performance at UCD will show where we truly are. Remember, last year we lead UCD at home and our defense imploded! We’re a different team this year, and if we can get a lead,?i believe we can hold it now! I look for us to win. By 14 or more. It might be a pipe dream, but I don’t think so! Oregon really brought out some good things in us!

Back