• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

On to Davis!

jodcon

DONOR
Now it gets real.

We were all hoping to be 3-1 coming into this one and that's where we are so bully for that. It's apparent that the BSC has some parity this year, and not just in the middle of the pack as it has been lately. Davis, Weber, Cats, Griz, EWU despite shitting the bed yesterday, and even Sac State look to be legit contenders and able to handle themselves in the big picture, which means there won't be many if any mulligans allowed to get to the playoffs from this bunch.

Hard to say how much to take out of yesterday's game. We sold out to stop to the elite rusher and it cost us in the passing game...but we didn't seem to get to the QB in obvious passing situations even sending the whole horde either, so there has to be some concern there. Offensively we were fine as usual, started a little slow but picked it up as the game went on, Knight has really stepped up and runs hard as nails, and Ostmo never disappoints when given the ball. We'll see how it goes next week, NDSU ran for 200 on them so we might be able to do some work there.

To me the whole season up to now has seemed scripted, there was some doubt going into South Dakota but the next 3 games were easily decided in my mind before ever hitting the field, the only question was what we would be able to do and how well. I'm jacked to get to the meat of the schedule and start seeing where we are, haven't felt any Saturday anxiety yet but next week will be different. Also just to note I hate games that fall between two big games like yesterday, you always have to wonder what the intensity will be like on tweeners and like someone else said even the crowd seemed "meh" leaving like we had got our asses kicked. Glad to get through that one.

Go Griz!

Davis will be a major challenge. As I said in another thread, if not for two very costly ints, one at the goal line, and a totally bogus (IMO) offensive holding call that nullified another TD, they could have won yesterday. NDSU had one run for 70 or 80 yards and the QB burned them a couple of times, but other than that, their run game was mostly shut down. UC Davis in the top 5 because they are a very strong balanced team. I'm hoping they will have a let down after a very hard fought game and the Griz can take advantage. I think we have the talent to beat anyone in the BSC. Next week will need to be flawless.

Good luck davis will be a handfull (to be completely honest i am shocked that i even typed that. For the longest of times davis was the league doormat)

Remember, too, Davis only trailed Cal 13-20 going into the final quarter in their opening game in Berkeley. Since then, Cal has gone 4-0, beating Washington in Seattle and Ole Miss in Oxford, so they are legit, as is Davis. Dan Hawkins is a big-time coach.

By the way, heard a great story yesterday, on the death of John Ralston, the ex-Stanford and Denver Bronco coach. After he was fired as the head coach of the Broncos, a reporter asked Ralston why he was let go. "Illness and fatigue," he said. "The fans were sick and tired of me."

Classy guy.

So does anyone suppose the coaching staff have shown small tidbits of what the team is during OOC games? Why lay out all your cards at once. My point is maybe our pass rush is better than we have been shown so far? Let them see what you want and then when it counts! I hope that’s the scenario here! Monmouth almost put as many points on the board against us than the Ducks did. I don’t see Monmouths offense as nearly productive as the Ducks. I think we see a much more complete teams starting in Davis.
I don’t see this team blowing out to many BSC teams. However I think they will play gutty football with a no quit attitude and outlast others in the conference for a winning conference record.

OrgonGriz said:
So does anyone suppose the coaching staff have shown small tidbits of what the team is during OOC games? Why lay out all your cards at once. My point is maybe our pass rush is better than we have been shown so far? Let them see what you want and then when it counts! I hope that’s the scenario here! Monmouth almost put as many points on the board against us than the Ducks did. I don’t see Monmouths offense as nearly productive as the Ducks. I think we see a much more complete teams starting in Davis.
I don’t see this team blowing out to many BSC teams. However I think they will play gutty football with a no quit attitude and outlast others in the conference for a winning conference record.
You might be onto something. Hauck coached Griz teams are notorious for improving throughout the regular season.

Back