• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alex Gubner

mtgrizrule

This kid consistently penetrates the offensive line. He just seems to be involved in big run stops, or forcing QB's to improvise more than most big DL's do. The GRIZ use him at DE and DT, depending on strategy. I know he is not fast, but does appear to be quick off the snap and very strong. Hard to believe, he is only Redshirt Freshman. I hope he can stay healthy. IF so, I think he has a chance to be playing on Sundays. He even did well against Oregon's OL.

I am on this kid's bandwagon early. :thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
You said he’s not fast. For his size I believe he’s very fast and quick
Good point, just seems that somehow QB's tend to elude him. I think he loses some steam when chasing for too long. Then again, he is a big boy. :thumb:

Before the season started it was interesting to hear the coaching staff talk about the D-line and what a dramatic change it's undergone in a year. It's traded size for quickness, strength is still there, expectations are to have a faster and more agile/aggressive unit but one that won't be as overly stout. These guys are young and have a hell of a future in front of them, they need to find some consistency but overall I'm liking what I'm seeing - and Gubner did seem to have himself a hell of a day, while not really getting in on things noticeable statistically he was driving his guy back a lot.

BWahlberg said:
Before the season started it was interesting to hear the coaching staff talk about the D-line and what a dramatic change it's undergone in a year. It's traded size for quickness, strength is still there, expectations are to have a faster and more agile/aggressive unit but one that won't be as overly stout. These guys are young and have a hell of a future in front of them, they need to find some consistency but overall I'm liking what I'm seeing - and Gubner did seem to have himself a hell of a day, while not really getting in on things noticeable statistically he was driving his guy back a lot.
He's done that every game, including Oregon.

GlacierGrizX said:
I thought O’Connel also had great game in the D trenches, along with Ryder Rice.

What pleasant surprises Gubner & O’Connell have been. :thumb:

Back