• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - Monmouth

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Good:

- Sneed not having his best day yet still goes 30-40 (75%) for 334 and 4 TDs.
- the TEs getting some love today. As if our receiving corps wasn’t dangerous enough now the TEs are getting a lot of targets
- Marcus Knight going off. I said in another thread, this dude has absolute bounce and refuses to go down easily. 21 carries for 148 (7 ypc) and 1 TD. Definitely one of the best, if not best, off season pick ups
- O Line pushed the D line around pretty damn well today. Mallory is a mean SOB, and I like it. Cool played a lot too and did very well. Sirmon has done phenomenal at center
- Mitch Roberts, welcome to the Big Sky. 5 catches for 80 years. One more WR teams need to worry about. Crazy!
- Malik Flowers is the best return man in the Big Sky and one of the tops in Nation. He will run another one back this season, bank it
- Dante Olson, just sit back and enjoy this dude. He’s an absolute beast and plays on a level we may rarely see
- Sandry had some nice pass break ups and hits
- Gubner, wow are we sure he’s only a freshman. This kid is going to be a hand full for years to come
- the 6 play TD drive answer after they were only up 33-27. Said to my wife just before it “this next drive will tell me a lot about this team”. What an answer.
- shutting down their RB to 47 yards (he was averaging 130 per game).
- this defense has made some incredible 3rd and 4th down stops. Monmouth only 4-16 on 3rd down.

Bad:

- they sold out to stop the run today but still too many yards given up passing
- too many PI calls whether warranted or not
- 2 missed PATs. WTF
- Sneed trying to be a hero and taking on 3 tacklers leading to a fumble. Just go down and live to see another day

Ugly:

- overturning calls made on the field using replay and still effing it up. I talked to multiple people who were watching it on tv. They said there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn the Sneed “fumble” to an incomplete pass. And on the flip end there wasn’t enough evidence to overrule the non TD 4th down stop to a TD for Monmouth. If we are going to use replay just get it right! Also did you notice on both those plays not one of those zebras made a call on the field as to what they were actually going to rule. The calls came 30 secs after each of those plays. Pathetic stuff.

HookedonGriz said:
Good:

- Sneed not having his best day yet still goes 30-40 (75%) for 334 and 4 TDs.
- the TEs getting some love today. As if our receiving corps wasn’t dangerous enough now the TEs are getting a lot of targets
- Marcus Knight going off. I said in another thread, this dude has absolute bounce and refuses to go down easily. 21 carries for 148 (7 ypc) and 1 TD. Definitely one of the best, if not best, off season pick ups
- O Line pushed the D line around pretty damn well today. Mallory is a mean SOB, and I like it. Cool played a lot too and did very well. Sirmon has done phenomenal at center
- Mitch Roberts, welcome to the Big Sky. 5 catches for 80 years. One more WR teams need to worry about. Crazy!
- Malik Flowers is the best return man in the Big Sky and one of the tops in Nation. He will run another one back this season, bank it
- Dante Olson, just sit back and enjoy this dude. He’s an absolute beast and plays on a level we may rarely see
- Sandry had some nice pass break ups and hits
- Gubner, wow are we sure he’s only a freshman. This kid is going to be a hand full for years to come
- the 6 play TD drive answer after they were only up 33-27. Said to my wife just before it “this next drive will tell me a lot about this team”. What an answer.
- shutting down their RB to 47 yards (he was averaging 130 per game).
- this defense has made some incredible 3rd and 4th down stops. Monmouth only 4-16 on 3rd down.

Bad:

- they sold out to stop the run today but still too many yards given up passing
- too many PI calls whether warranted or not
- 2 missed PATs. WTF
- Sneed trying to be a hero and taking on 3 tacklers leading to a fumble. Just go down and live to see another day

Ugly:

- overturning calls made on the field using replay and still effing it up. I talked to multiple people who were watching it on tv. They said there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn the Sneed “fumble” to an incomplete pass. And on the flip end there wasn’t enough evidence to overrule the non TD 4th down stop to a TD for Monmouth. If we are going to use replay just get it right! Also did you notice on both those plays not one of those zebras made a call on the field as to what they were actually going to rule. The calls came 30 secs after each of those plays. Pathetic stuff.

I could not believe they overturned Sneed's fumble. That looked like it was an "empty hand" throw, as originally called, both live and the one quick replay I saw and certainly not enough overwhelming evidence to overturn it. That was a huge call.

The good Marcus Knight and the offensive line had a very solid game running the football. Third and 1 is no longer a passing down. Bad pass rush needs some work. Ugly drops......the big 3 all had bad drops today. 3-1 in non conference can't wait to see what they can do with a UC Davis team that just played NDSU really well. Gonna be tough.

How about the job Patrick O'Connell did filling in for Deming? Thought he kind of came out of nowhere and made some really good plays

The good - we won, and appear to have a legitimate #1 at RB. The running game just needs to keep improving week to week, and I believe in our coaching staff to ensure that it does.

The bad - three turnovers (2 turnovers, maybe one got overturned I can’t remember) This game shouldn’t have been as close as it was. Gotta clean some stuff up.

The Ugly - the kicking game took a step back today.

Good- Mallory dominating D linemen
Bad- D linemen being pancaked or implanted into artificial surface by Mallory
Ugly- It’s going to take several washings to get Mallory off D linemen jerseys(belly rubs were deep, they may want to dispose and get some new jerseys)

Watched he replay - my first view of the game. They had four sacks. Not bad. I timed the Monmouth QB for several random plays from snap to ball out. About 75% of the time, the ball was out in 3 seconds, it was largely accurate & downfield at various depths because he had some guys that could cover ground.

Watch our d-line, many plays with stunts & twists which will slow them up on a pass rush that’s chasing a guy who gets it out in 3 seconds. In this D, it’s the extra guys that are sent that are expected to get the pressure. I’m not panicking yet. Would like to see Baer go to more zone though - like he did with NA. How about the O’Connell kid? Jesse was stellar - #best37inthebsc

I believe the overturn of the Sneed “fumble” to be incomplete was justified and accurate. The ball went forward without being touched by the defender which proves Sneed’s hand was moving forward even if just slightly. And since it was in a throwing motion then it was by definition an incomplete pass.

'68griz said:
cclarkblues said:
Bad - too many dropped passes.

IMO, most of those 'dropped' passes were on Sneed.

That’s what I saw too. Hence why I said even with him not being at his best he was still pretty incredible. He threw behind or low on the drops. If they are caught they are great catches.

HookedonGriz said:
'68griz said:
cclarkblues said:
Bad - too many dropped passes.
IMO, most of those 'dropped' passes were on Sneed.
That’s what I saw too. Hence why I said even with him not being at his best he was still pretty incredible. He threw behind or low on the drops. If they are caught they are great catches.
So, if the passes are caught, Sneed ends up with what ... an 80% , 90% completion percentage? Gee, too bad he only ended up at 75%. :(

Grisly Fan said:
I believe the overturn of the Sneed “fumble” to be incomplete was justified and accurate. The ball went forward without being touched by the defender which proves Sneed’s hand was moving forward even if just slightly. And since it was in a throwing motion then it was by definition an incomplete pass.

Throwing motion or whether the ball was moving forward doesn't matter if there is an "empty hand" and the ball is already out of the Qb's grip. The ball was not in Sneed's control or fully in his hand at all during his "throwing motion" fumble. An "empty hand' is always a fumble, and I still contend this was the case in this play.

Ugly- the overturn of the GRIZ defensive stand at the goal line, which was overturned as a TD for Monmouth. I watched the replays on the tv replay. I NEVER saw conclusive evidence to indicate that was a TD. Is it possible, did the officials have an angle of the play we didn't see as fans? That call has me totally perplexed.
Did anyone sitting in that area definitely see that was TD?

Zirg said:
Grisly Fan said:

Throwing motion or whether the ball was moving forward doesn't matter if there is an "empty hand" and the ball is already out of the Qb's grip. The ball was not in Sneed's control or fully in his hand at all during his "throwing motion" fumble. An "empty hand' is always a fumble, and I still contend this was the case in this play.

the rule reads:
"When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass."

Sneed was not "IN CONTROL of the ball" though. That's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back