• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense is VERY Suspect

gotgame75

DONOR
I know I'll probably get hated on for pissing on people's Cheerios in the aftermath of a nice win, but our defense absolutely has to get better if we have any hope to make it successfully through conference and in to the playoffs.

We are getting almost ZERO pressure on the QB from the D-line. We will get eaten alive in conference if this continues. It's now on Baer to show he can make some level of adjustment. Based on prior experience, I won't hold my breath.

We did get shredded in the passing game from what I could gather is a very dominant running team today. There are a couple of big sky teams that will hang serious numbers if we don’t make some adjustments.

Griz D made them one dimensional. They had to give up on run early, I wouldn’t consider that bad defense. Hawks longest pass reception was a Sandry INT that was ruled a reception. Hawks had a tall WR/TE that was great in red zone and fifth year QB that was accurate and patient. They had a good combo of size and speed at WR, most yards on WR screens and short passes, they were patient, not giving D line time to get to QB. Monmoth is a good FCS team.

gotgame75 said:
I know I'll probably get hated on for pissing on people's Cheerios in the aftermath of a nice win, but our defense absolutely has to get better if we have any hope to make it successfully through conference and in to the playoffs.

We are getting almost ZERO pressure on the QB from the D-line. We will get eaten alive in conference if this continues. It's now on Baer to show he can make some level of adjustment. Based on prior experience, I won't hold my breath.

In between the twenties, and on the big play, but not in the red zone! I’d like to see improvement too, but I’ll take that all day long over the alternative! We allow yards, but not much scoring! Better than top 50 in almost every category in offensive and defensive team stats! It’s not as bad as it seems!

Definitely some truth here. Those 10-20 yd crossing routes were open most of the 2nd half. Our safeties just couldn't keep up for the time that was needed and with little pass rush they were exposed.
The lynchpin of our D today was (and will probably continue to be) our LBs. They and our DL was awesome with stopping the run. Our corners did a really good job on tackling the short passes to the outside and even on some deeper routes where their WRs made some fantastic tough catches. But getting to the QB was not their strength.
Fix this and we will be AWESOME!

Post game, reference made about Nash getting picked on by Monmoth, Bobby brought out he was converted WR playing CB. Staff has done well , Fouch and Calhoun are in same position and playing well. Amazing how they are helping make CB a strength instead of a deficit.

"Pete Guerriero, who averages 130 yards rushing, managed just 47 yards on 18 carries."
He is a heck of a runner with quite a bit of speed and he only got 47 yards? Seems like the game plan was to stop the run and make them throw. Which is what happened, and we still won. Makes one think the coaches know what they are doing.

fencer24 said:
"Pete Guerriero, who averages 130 yards rushing, managed just 47 yards on 18 carries."
He is a heck of a runner with quite a bit of speed and he only got 47 yards? Seems like the game plan was to stop the run and make them throw. Which is what happened, and we still won. Makes one think the coaches know what they are doing.
I’m pumped we were able to stop the run, I’m very worried about what happens against Davis. I hope I’m wrong, but 400 passing from Monmouth doesn’t give me warm fuzzies. Also, when the hell did giving up 474 qualify as great defense.

dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:
I’m pumped we were able to stop the run, I’m very worried about what happens against Davis. I hope I’m wrong, but 400 passing from Monmouth doesn’t give me warm fuzzies. Also, when the hell did giving up 474 qualify as great defense.

NDSU gave up 422 to Davis today. Davis is going to be extremely hard to stop.

fencer24 said:

Ding ding. This RB was second in all of FCS and they as a team were averaging over 200 yard running per game. Griz sole focus was to shut that down and they did, big time.

1972 said:
dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:

NDSU gave up 422 to Davis today. Davis is going to be extremely hard to stop.

Davis gave up 354 yards on d to ndsu so...

HookedonGriz said:
fencer24 said:

Ding ding. This RB was second in all of FCS and they as a team were averaging over 200 yard running per game. Griz sole focus was to shut that down and they did, big time.

Anytime you can make a team one dimensional, especially stopping the run, typically results are very good.

So my “recording” on Altitude didn’t happen because they’re in a pissing match with DirecTV.

I just watched two different highlight reels and what I saw was 3 sacks, several QB pressures (including one that caused a pick)...not sure if people expect pressure EVERY play or what, but it appears to me that, combined with the stuffing of the run, the D actually got some pressure and disrupted the passing game...certainly enough to win. I’d say 3 sacks, 2 picks and several hurries with 0 run game is gonna win a lot of games for us.

AZGrizFan said:
So my “recording” on Altitude didn’t happen because they’re in a pissing match with DirecTV.

I just watched two different highlight reels and what I saw was 3 sacks, several QB pressures (including one that caused a pick)...not sure if people expect pressure EVERY play or what, but it appears to me that, combined with the stuffing of the run, the D actually got some pressure and disrupted the passing game...certainly enough to win. I’d say 3 sacks, 2 picks and several hurries with 0 run game is gonna win a lot of games for us.

:thumb:

Diesel said:
Post game, reference made about Nash getting picked on by Monmoth, Bobby brought out he was converted WR playing CB. Staff has done well , Fouch and Calhoun are in same position and playing well. Amazing how they are helping make CB a strength instead of a deficit.

Nash was dreadful today. #23 Greene was abusing him time after time on one drive. His one "good play", the INT on a 4th down desperation throw actually cost the Griz 6 yards if he had just dropped it. I'm not blaming him for making the pick, but even his best play was a negative play in reality. He's usually solid,but not today.

Our Run Defense-especially the goal-line stand and limiting Guerriero shows we can be solid there. Our pass-coverage and (a lack of ) pass-rush pressure concerns me.

1972 said:
AZGrizFan said:

:thumb:

I can promise you that if you watch entire game you will be less than stoked with our pass rush. The sacks we did get were the product of coverage or the qb hanging around the pocket too long. This is nothing new, it's been this way all season.

I love the progress of this team, but the pass rush is in desperate need of improvement. I don't think any somewhat objective fan can argue otherwise.We can keep up the excuses about making them one dimensional, but we gave up 400 yards in the air to a running team.

Additionally, our defensive scheme continually fails to adapt in the second half. Monmouth had open receivers ALL DAY LONG. And our 3 man front gets ZERO push.

Mark my words, we will get torched by Davis unless we find a way to make their QB uncomfortable in the pocket.

Have to wonder if vineyard wouldn’t have made a big difference. We just don’t have a dominant d end right now that can consistently pressure the passer.

People need to remember their QB is no slouch. He is on the Walter Payton watch list for a reason and Is also a 3 year starter. They sold out to stop the run so yes the QB took to the air and did a good job.

Back