• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana St. Enrollment Expected to Drop

PlayerRep

"MSU forecasts that its total student population will drop from 15,255 to 15,199 after several years of steady growth."

UM's enrollment expected to drop more.

"Its 2020 projection is 7% lower, with 8,603 full-time equivalent students. Of those, 6,220 are undergraduates, 1,695 are graduates and 688 come to UM from other institutions through the Western Undergraduate Exchange network.

In the past, UM has made conservative enrollment estimates in its budget planning, and it remains to be seen how well its projections line up with reality. Fall semester enrollment won’t be final until after the university conducts its official headcount, or census, on the 15th day of instruction."

"UM's total budget will be down from $146.2 million in 2019 to $144.3 million in the 2020 Fiscal Year. By comparison, Montana State University-Bozeman's budget is set to grow from $240.4 million to $254.5 million."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-forecasts-enrollment-budget-faculty-drop-for-fy/article_c137a75c-b1ac-55ef-8755-82c38cb51be1.html#tracking-source=home-trending

I’m sure their back up enrollees in the wings will be much better than their current enrollees. They didn’t want them anyways.

And I bet of the 56 students who left at least one of them could have been a servicable starting QB. Another lost opportunity to own the Sky or boom the state or something.

Even as far back as the latter Denison years the demographics did not favor sustainable growth. The economic issues raised by the Great Recession a decade ago also played a role in college attendance. The spate of dumbing down certainly won’t encourage critical thinking that is at the core of post high school education. Small is not so bad. However quality remains critical factor. UM will survive and I expect thrive.

first11 said:
Even as far back as the latter Denison years the demographics did not favor sustainable growth. The economic issues raised by the Great Recession a decade ago also played a role in college attendance. The spate of dumbing down certainly won’t encourage critical thinking that is at the core of post high school education. Small is not so bad. However quality remains critical factor. UM will survive and I expect thrive.

Then how do you explain enrollment increases at Texas A&M, Purdue, Georgia Tech and many many others over the same period?

The value of the degree depends on the type of degree. UM simply is not offering what is valued right now...

While I don't know, my guess is that the type of degrees offered at UM has not caused much of the decline. My believe is that the decline was caused by other factors, including lack of leadership at UM and multiple mistakes by leadership. Also, some of the stories being run relentlessly by the Missoulian, and then picked up by the national media. And Krakauer. A lot of misleading things, some untruths, and some outright lies became a big part of the story of UM and Missoula.

SoldierGriz said:
first11 said:

Then how do you explain enrollment increases at Texas A&M, Purdue, Georgia Tech and many many others over the same period?

The value of the degree depends on the type of degree. UM simply is not offering what is valued right now...

You raise valid talking points. The schools cited in your response have a higher bar per academic status. Available pool of college students as well as escalating costs put a lot of pressure on most schools. The higher level schools do not suffer as would mid tier schools. UM certainly has self inflicted wounds as declining public monetary support makes it harder to build a curriculum that will attract qualified students in great numbers.

Love it. I get it’s the griz board and it’s to be expected.

But MSU’s enrollment drops by less than a half of a percent and UM’s drops again by 7%, but the title of the thread is about MSU’s enrollment dropping...

While technically not false, it’s funny you lead with that PR.

And for the record, I’m not someone enjoying UM’s plummeting enrollment, I don’t think that’s good for the state as a whole. I like to see both schools doing well.

I predict by this time next year our enrollment will increase. I think this is the low point. Freshmen enrollment is projected to be up, and we'll find out in two weeks how substantial of a rise it’ll be. We’ve hit rock bottom, and there’s nowhere to go now but up.

PlayerRep said:
"MSU forecasts that its total student population will drop from 15,255 to 15,199 after several years of steady growth."

UM's enrollment expected to drop more.

"Its 2020 projection is 7% lower, with 8,603 full-time equivalent students. Of those, 6,220 are undergraduates, 1,695 are graduates and 688 come to UM from other institutions through the Western Undergraduate Exchange network.

In the past, UM has made conservative enrollment estimates in its budget planning, and it remains to be seen how well its projections line up with reality. Fall semester enrollment won’t be final until after the university conducts its official headcount, or census, on the 15th day of instruction."

"UM's total budget will be down from $146.2 million in 2019 to $144.3 million in the 2020 Fiscal Year. By comparison, Montana State University-Bozeman's budget is set to grow from $240.4 million to $254.5 million."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-forecasts-enrollment-budget-faculty-drop-for-fy/article_c137a75c-b1ac-55ef-8755-82c38cb51be1.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Ahem....

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
I’m hearing enrollment at the main campus will be down 6-8% again this year.

What you are hearing or what you are making up?

Just relaying what I heard. We'll likely get confirmation one way or the other in a month or so.

PlayerRep said:
While I don't know, my guess is that the type of degrees offered at UM has not caused much of the decline. My believe is that the decline was caused by other factors, including lack of leadership at UM and multiple mistakes by leadership. Also, some of the stories being run relentlessly by the Missoulian, and then picked up by the national media. And Krakauer. A lot of misleading things, some untruths, and some outright lies became a big part of the story of UM and Missoula.

Maybe. I don't know either.

MSU remains an embarrassing yardstick for UM. Look back a decade ago when Waded Cruzado became their president - followed shortly thereafter with Royce Engstrom taking over in Missoula. That was the seminal period when the two campuses began moving in opposite directions.

Silvertip said:
MSU remains an embarrassing yardstick for UM. Look back a decade ago when Waded Cruzado became their president - followed shortly thereafter with Royce Engstrom taking over in Missoula. That was the seminal period when the two campuses began moving in opposite directions.
At msu you have a dynamic, energetic, visionary president who motivates the faculty, staff, and student body....
At um, you had engstrom, no energy, no vision. An administration and campus that thought the um brand would sell itself....... Athletics alone doesn't sell a campus....

hokeyfine said:
Silvertip said:
At msu you have a dynamic, energetic, visionary president who motivates the faculty, staff, and student body....
At um, you had engstrom, no energy, no vision. An administration and campus that thought the um brand would sell itself....... Athletics alone doesn't sell a campus....

You also had a marketing department that sent out 1000's of brochures to prospective students, that said "Montana State University" instead of "University of Montana" through-out the whole thing...

I don't think PR's intent here was to point at MSU and say "ha, losers!" I think he was just pointing out the current trends and expectations in the University System. In my opinion, declining enrollment at any of our Montana colleges is a bad thing.

Back