• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Team and 2019 Team

MTGRZ

Just watched some of the highlights (and lowlights) from the 2017 season. Stitt's last year at the helm. It seems to me that team had some real talent. Some real, "dudes." It also seems that team was out-coached and suffered from a lack of depth at key defensive and OL/DL positions. The wins were by large margins, and often against obviously inferior talent. The losses were games where the Griz had a legit shot to win, but didn't seal the deal. I see that as a lack of depth in key areas (NOT WR :lol: ) and being out-coached.

I do believe these are two critical areas this current coaching staff is addressing. Anybody else feel the same way? The videos can be found easily on youtube.

One thing that bothered me was when Stitt said he takes care of the offense an lets the D coordinator run the defense and doesn't interfere. That was a major problem. He was the HEAD COACH. You have to be in control of the entire team. Hauck does it right.

Yukon said:
One thing that bothered me was when Stitt said he takes care of the offense an lets the D coordinator run the defense and doesn't interfere. That was a major problem. He was the HEAD COACH. You have to be in control of the entire team. Hauck does it right.

Yeah I think that philosophical difference is stark. It really showed up a lot at the end of some games (also last year too, but I think that was still partially due to what was there when Hauck arrived) and in particular on the D line. A lot of flash on the offense, but there wasn't enough consistent running game to keep the Griz defense resting and off the field.

I think Hauck is a good talent identifier and evaluator, and will get the best guys on the field regardless of offense or defense.

MTGRZ said:
Yukon said:

Yeah I think that philosophical difference is stark. It really showed up a lot at the end of some games (also last year too, but I think that was still partially due to what was there when Hauck arrived) and in particular on the D line. A lot of flash on the offense, but there wasn't enough consistent running game to keep the Griz defense resting and off the field.

I think Hauck is a good talent identifier and evaluator, and will get the best guys on the field regardless of offense or defense.

Totally agree. I don't think it's wise to defer to DC to the extent Stitt did at this level. We saw it bite us down the stretch when Stitt was at the helm (though we saw some of the residual last year, as well). We had the ability to make some fireworks on the offensive side of the ball, but we just didn't have the possession control to allow the D to finish games without being gassed.

I think Hauck is great at assessing personnel. I trust his ability to have the playmakers in the game on both sides of the ball.

I agree. Hauck will seal the deal. Stitt was not a deal sealer. Eight wins will be the deal sealed easily, maybe even nine or ten. Book it! :thumb:

Back