• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Receiving Corps in Griz History

grizfan95

Posted this in the ATM thread and all anyone wanted to talk about was butt stuff, so let's try it here and see if people can stick to football.

Debate

Is the receiving corps of: Akem, Toure, McGee, Sulser, Flowers, and Roberts the most talented corps we've had?

Other ones:

1994: Gurnsey, Baker, Wells, Erhardt, Boddie
1995: Wells, Douglass, Erhardt, Dolan
1996: Douglass, Erhardt, Pacheco, Paffhausen, Olsen

I would personally put 1994 at the top right now, but this year's group has the potential.

Feel free to check out this for yearly stats: https://gogriz.com/sports/2015/10/13/FB_1013155607.aspx

grizfan95 said:
Posted this in the ATM thread and all anyone wanted to talk about was butt stuff, so let's try it here and see if people can stick to football.

Debate

Is the receiving corps of: Akem, Toure, McGee, Sulser, Flowers, and Roberts the most talented corps we've had?

Other ones:

I would personally put 1994 at the top right now, but this year's group has the potential.

Feel free to check out this for yearly stats: https://gogriz.com/sports/2015/10/13/FB_1013155607.aspx

Haha! Your first line made me laugh pretty hard.

Anyway, I think this group is the best we've ever had. It's just such a great mix receiver types. Deep threat, shifty, possession, straight speed, jumpball, etc. Name it, and there is a guy in this group who fits the description. AND, we have TEs. I'm really excited to see what happens this season. It could be a perfect storm where everyone gels at the right time like when Ochs was a senior.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizfan95 said:

Debate

Other ones:

Anyway, I think this group is the best we've ever had. It's just such a great mix receiver types. Deep threat, shifty, possession, straight speed, jumpball, etc. Name it, and there is a guy in this group who fits the description. AND, we have TEs. I'm really excited to see what happens this season. It could be a perfect storm where everyone gels at the right time like when Ochs was a senior.

That 2004 WR group was pretty impressive..

I believe any receiver corp to be named the best needs to contain the name Marc Mariani!

reinell30 said:
I believe any receiver corp to be named the best needs to contain the name Marc Mariani!

With Sambrano and Palmer, then Pfahler or Beaudin at TE. Yessir!

Reinell, I’m gonna have to agree with you! Damn great receiving Corp!

2007:
CRAIG CHAMBERS
RYAN BAGLEY
ERIC ALLEN
MATT TROXEL
MARC MARIANI
TYLER PALMER
MIKE FERRITER
DAN BEAUDIN
STEVE PFAHLER
ROBERT OVERTON
JEFF LARSEN

2008:

JABIN SAMBRANO
SAM GRATTON
MARC MARIANI
TYLER PALMER
MIKE FERRITER
GREG HARDY
(Plus some of 2007)

2009:

PRETTY MUCH SAME AS 2008

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizfan95 said:

Debate

Other ones:

I'm still trying to forget that horrific Talmadge EZ drop that cost us a TD in the NC game.

To provide some data to back up some of the claims.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-01-45-PM.png

That is almost 5 receivers over 500 yards and two over 1000.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-03-34-PM.png

That is 3 receivers over 1000 and again almost 5 over 500.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-04-53-PM.png

Douglass with nearly 2000 yards!!!! and 3 nearly at 800 or more.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-06-36-PM.png

1 over 1000, but a solid group of 4 around 700 or more.

2008 - Year 1 of the Mariani years
Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-08-03-PM.png

Pretty much a 2 WR team, which kind of makes it more impressive what Mariani did.

2009 - Year 2 of the Mariani years
Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-09-27-PM.png

Again, really a 1 or 2 WR team. 2 of the top 5 receivers weren't even WRs.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-11-24-PM.png

A solid group of 3.

Sometimes it is hard to compare talent due to the different systems that players played in. The Dickenson and Ah Yat years were just a complete air raid, the Hauck years were more balanced in the offense, and 2015 was our first year of the Stitt spread.

The '94 and '95 seasons were insane offensively though.

grizfan95 said:
To provide some data to back up some of the claims.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-01-45-PM.png

That is almost 5 receivers over 500 yards and two over 1000.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-03-34-PM.png

That is 3 receivers over 1000 and again almost 5 over 500.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-04-53-PM.png

Douglass with nearly 2000 yards!!!! and 3 nearly at 800 or more.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-06-36-PM.png

1 over 1000, but a solid group of 4 around 700 or more.

2008 - Year 1 of the Mariani years
Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-08-03-PM.png

Pretty much a 2 WR team, which kind of makes it more impressive what Mariani did.

2009 - Year 2 of the Mariani years
Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-09-27-PM.png

Again, really a 1 or 2 WR team. 2 of the top 5 receivers weren't even WRs.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-4-11-24-PM.png

A solid group of 3.

Sometimes it is hard to compare talent due to the different systems that players played in. The Dickenson and Ah Yat years were just a complete air raid, the Hauck years were more balanced in the offense, and 2015 was our first year of the Stitt spread.

:thumb:

Lex was part of 2007, as was Chase.

Chase also pretty much paralleled Mariani’s year’s.

And Jordan Canada came in at the end!

grizfan95 said:

You're definitely correct here. I wasn't trying to say the 2004 group of WRs were in consideration for the best ever. I was just saying that that team itself really hit its stride as the season went on, which I could see happening again this year. I remember 2004 starting with a bit of worry, and ending with us wondering only about margin of victory (until The Turf Game, of course).

Anyway, back to receivers, those mid 1990s guys were awesome, but the stats were definitely helped by the system (as you noted). I guess if we're talking straight-up talent, I would still take this year's group as the more complete unit.

alabamagrizzly said:
So picture Dave having this years receivers in Don Reads system. I just got chill bumps typing that.

Mother of God.
That said, I'm fairly confident if the FCS landscape is what it was in 1995, and our guys this year were transported back to then, they would probably all be playing in the PAC 10.

kemajic said:
SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizfan95 said:

Debate

Other ones:

I'm still trying to forget that horrific Talmadge EZ drop that cost us a TD in the NC game.
Way to bring that up, somethings are better left not remembered :cry:

Back