• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ryder Rice...

Missoula223

Heard and confirmed Rice was declined getting into the grad program he applied for. 3.4 GPA for a program in which there was no GPA requirement and no GRE requirement.

I would expect this isn’t the only situation where this is the case. Enrollment is the #1 issue at UM and they’re turning away kids like that. Amazing.

Missoula223 said:
Heard and confirmed Rice was declined getting into the grad program he applied for. 3.4 GPA for a program in which there was no GPA requirement and no GRE requirement.

I would expect this isn’t the only situation where this is the case. Enrollment is the #1 issue at UM and they’re turning away kids like that. Amazing.
How could he have not gotten in? I go to the business school and they don’t even require a GPA to get into the masters program, you just have to pass a simple entrance exam.

Basketball grad transfer from BYU also not coming now, was not admitted to a grad program at UM

Ursus1 said:
Basketball grad transfer from BYU also not coming now, was not admitted to a grad program at UM

I can understand that one he only had a 2.6 GPA and wanted a program that required a 3.0 but this one makes no sense to me

I will try to temper my full on outrage down to just extremely aggravated until more facts come out. I am sure there is more to the story, but from what little info there is, this is just PURELY ASININE!!!!

This is utter bull and the administration needs to give some answers. Heck he has a good enough resume to even apply to the law school. I am not impressed. I wonder if there is any way for him to challenge that?

Grad school is a totally different ball game compared to undergrad. Lots of questions arise when I see something like this.

Which program did he apply? Does that program limit their numbers? How do they determine admission? What are the prerequisites? How does his application stack up against others who were accepted/denied? Is he entitled to admission to um grad school? Was he denied for being a football player? Was there a breakdown in communication between player/coaches/grad school?

What does he do now?

Does seem strange.

However, I can (dimly) see a rationale. College finances are weird, of course, and the numbers you see are at the mercy of the way they do their accounting (which can be even more weird).

But I'm wondering if graduate school is a net cost or net gain to the bottom line for the university. Here's why I can see it being a net loss: (1) All small classes, essentially. I personally cannot recall any graduate classes of more than about 20 students, and most were much smaller than that. (2) Most classes taught by senior, or at least higher-level, faculty. I suppose that, these days, they let affiliate faculty or even senior graduate students teach some of the basic graduate curriculum, but that seems unlikely for the more advanced courses. Bottom line: Small class size, more expensive presenters.

If that's even close to accurate, then each graduate student could be a net loss to the school. That would put a premium on applicants that fit into a research program where grant money can support his/her thesis research.

Just a thought. :twocents:

If there's no GPA or entrance test requirement, it has to be a class prerequisite he failed to meet, no?

Depending on the school, there are probably ways around that.

Very strange.

IdaGriz01 said:
Does seem strange.

However, I can (dimly) see a rationale. College finances are weird, of course, and the numbers you see are at the mercy of the way they do their accounting (which can be even more weird).

But I'm wondering if graduate school is a net cost or net gain to the bottom line for the university. Here's why I can see it being a net loss: (1) All small classes, essentially. I personally cannot recall any graduate classes of more than about 20 students, and most were much smaller than that. (2) Most classes taught by senior, or at least higher-level, faculty. I suppose that, these days, they let affiliate faculty or even senior graduate students teach some of the basic graduate curriculum, but that seems unlikely for the more advanced courses. Bottom line: Small class size, more expensive presenters.

If that's even close to accurate, then each graduate student could be a net loss to the school. That would put a premium on applicants that fit into a research program where grant money can support his/her thesis research.

Just a thought. :twocents:

Then ----- increasing class sizes certainly tips one of your scales ----.

But, probably wise to let this particular very good student go.

There’s obviously more to this story. Grad schools aren’t turning down qualified applicants for no reason—they want the money. Big yawn.

dayday said:
MTGRZ said:
What program is he applying to?

I believe some sort of business graduate program as he is a business major.

Somebody in the grad school or the department he is applying to either REALLY doesn't like Griz football and are trying to send a message, or there was some other factor not known to the public at this time. Hope it ends well for the student and the University.

wbtfg said:
Grad school is a totally different ball game compared to undergrad. Lots of questions arise when I see something like this.

Which program did he apply? Does that program limit their numbers? How do they determine admission? What are the prerequisites? How does his application stack up against others who were accepted/denied? Is he entitled to admission to um grad school? Was he denied for being a football player? Was there a breakdown in communication between player/coaches/grad school?

What does he do now?

Educational Leadership. Same as BYU kid. They do, but he was informed beforehand that this upcoming term was not close to being full.

Not going to take the time to try and get answers to all your other questions I apologize, but the basis of their reasoning was that his future goals did not meet the goals of the program. Basically because he wanted to deal with business in his future meant that this program would dictate that he could have no further involvement with the school system is how I took it.

I get there could be more questions to be answered, but the baseline of a good, Montana kid, with a high GPA should get into a program where there are virtually no requirements. Unreal.

Missoula223 said:
wbtfg said:

What does he do now?

Educational Leadership. Same as BYU kid. They do, but he was informed beforehand that this upcoming term was not close to being full.

Not going to take the time to try and get answers to all your other questions I apologize, but the basis of their reasoning was that his future goals did not meet the goals of the program. Basically because he wanted to deal with business in his future meant that this program would dictate that he could have no further involvement with the school system is how I took it.

I get there could be more questions to be answered, but the baseline of a good, Montana kid, with a high GPA should get into a program where there are virtually no requirements. Unreal.

My questions were mostly rhetorical, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer and provide clarity. Grad school admissions can be a total crapshoot.

Back