• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Title IX at Montana State and Montana?

Brother Bear

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2019/06/17/idaho-universities-fall-short-title-ix-standards/1482831001/

Interesting article in the Great Falls tribune today about the Idaho public colleges falling short on issues of Title IX in their athletic departments. They regularly have audits done to see where they are at and where they need to invest resources. One school is going to add women's soccer. Boise State plans to add Baseball but will need to significantly invest in women's sports soon.

Do the Montana public colleges have these reviews done on a regular basis or every few years? Are they made public?

At the University of Montana the Griz offer women's soccer and women's softball but neither of those sports are offered in Bozeman. I assume rodeo or other offerings (maybe skiing) off-set the big participation numbers that football brings in. Back in 2011 when the study was done to look at a potential football move to the FBS for the Griz, it mentioned Title IX and some costs associated with moving up and compliance.

https://missoulian.com/college/griz/university-of-montana-athletics-study-move-to-fbs-would-cost/article_b87e6958-5778-11e0-9bd2-001cc4c002e0.html

You don't really hear much of MSU or UM adding new sports. If they were to in the future (either because of TItle IX or an influx of dollars), I would be curious to see what those logical additions might be? What sports would you like to see added at either school?

Do we still have such a greater percentage of females that we need two more women-only sports? What are the current ratios at UM vs. MSU?

Nvm, I looked. It’s 55.1 male to 44.9 female at MSU. It’s 54.6 female to 45.4 male at UM. I think it’s always been right around that. Interesting. I wonder why that is? Curriculum?

What sports would you like to see added at either school? [/quote said:
IF Montana was to add a sport I could see wrestling as an option. For starters, high schools in Montana routinely send quite a few wrestlers to out of state colleges to compete. And wrestling isn't an expensive sport to support. A few matts, some singlets, wrestling shoes and ear protectors and you're just about there. UM used to have men's wrestling and golf but they were ended in the late 1980's due to retrenchment.

getgrizzy said:
Do we still have such a greater percentage of females that we need two more women-only sports? What are the current ratios at UM vs. MSU?

Nvm, I looked. It’s 55.1 male to 44.9 female at MSU. It’s 54.6 female to 45.4 male at UM. I think it’s always been right around that. Interesting. I wonder why that is? Curriculum?

Is Title IX based on enrollment or number of athletic scholarships a school offers?

getgrizzy said:
It’s 54.6 female to 45.4 male at UM. I think it’s always been right around that.
Hardly; it was 2:1 men in the 60's. It was a difficult hunt.

getgrizzy said:

Yes, curriculum. The Engineering/STEM emphasis vs the Liberal Arts

Would love to see mens and womens hockey added, tho I know its a fat chance because its so expensive. Ive always been curious as to why hockey just seems to stop at North Dakota. It seems like such a logical sport to be huge in Montana like ND but it never did.

Does anyone know why?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Would love to see mens and womens hockey added, tho I know its a fat chance because its so expensive. Ive always been curious as to why hockey just seems to stop at North Dakota. It seems like such a logical sport to be huge in Montana like ND but it never did.

Does anyone know why?

It starts at a very early age in those areas... Every town has an indoor Ice skating rink, and the towns best athletes all start out very young playing that sport. Bozeman is building a really good youth program, and has at least one former NHL player that will be coaching youth hockey next year. I interviewed Dane Fletcher last week, and he mentioned that he was going to play college hockey out of High School (I believe he had an offer from Michigan State as a Junior), but he burnt out on it, and focused on High School Football his senior year instead... You would have to get a LOT of out of state kids to play on Full scholarships the first 5-10 years. Very expensive

SACCAT66 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Does anyone know why?

It starts at a very early age in those areas... Every town has an indoor Ice skating rink, and the towns best athletes all start out very young playing that sport. Bozeman is building a really good youth program, and has at least one former NHL player that will be coaching youth hockey next year. I interviewed Dane Fletcher last week, and he mentioned that he was going to play college hockey out of High School (I believe he had an offer from Michigan State as a Junior), but he burnt out on it, and focused on High School Football his senior year instead... You would have to get a LOT of out of state kids to play on Full scholarships the first 5-10 years. Very expensive
Hockey is big in Missoula: there is an active youth hockey association; and the adult rec league at the Glacier Ice Rink is very popular. Also, Missoula has had a junior hockey team for several years, and has a fairly nice rink for the current teams. I think college hockey has the potential to do very well in Missoula.

grizband said:
SACCAT66 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Does anyone know why?

Hockey is big in Missoula: there is an active youth hockey association; and the adult rec league at the Glacier Ice Rink is very popular. Also, Missoula has had a junior hockey team for several years, and has a fairly nice rink for the current teams. I think college hockey has the potential to do very well in Missoula.

But how many kids are you going to get, at that level, to play for the Cats or griz... Hockey may be big in those areas, but it isn't in most of the rest of the state...

I know nothing about College hockey finances. It seems like the kind of sport that could actually make money on the men’s side. Is that true?

CDAGRIZ said:
I know nothing about College hockey finances. It seems like the kind of sport that could actually make money on the men’s side. Is that true?

It could.... It all depends on who owns the rink you are playing in. UND didn't own their rink, so they payed a lot to play there (from what i know, could be wrong). If the school owns it, and you can put it to other uses with that money going to the team, you could succeed.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It could.... It all depends on who owns the rink you are playing in. UND didn't own their rink, so they payed a lot to play there (from what i know, could be wrong). If the school owns it, and you can put it to other uses with that money going to the team, you could succeed.
It may have changed, but at one point UND paid $1 per year to use the Ralph Engelstadt center; which, I'm told, rivals some NHL arenas.

SACCAT66 said:
grizband said:
SACCAT66 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Does anyone know why?

But how many kids are you going to get, at that level, to play for the Cats or griz... Hockey may be big in those areas, but it isn't in most of the rest of the state...
You could get one or 2 local kids each year to play, filling a roster with out of state talent. Using North Dakota as the answer, their 2018/19 team featured only one in-state player.

Back