Indoor practice facility

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Post Reply
poorgriz
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by poorgriz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.
No, see my post from above - technique and fundamentals play a bigger part in injuries. In fact, has anyone even looked at the roster for Oregon? Are most of their players bigger than yours across the board?
Bobby Hauck is God. He's not a God... he's the God.

Missoula223
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Missoula223 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm

poorgriz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.
No, see my post from above - technique and fundamentals play a bigger part in injuries. In fact, has anyone even looked at the roster for Oregon? Are most of their players bigger than yours across the board?
Are you going to give us an analysis as to who has better technique and fundamentals between an NFL player and a 10 year old? No matter how you slice it the 10 year old has a higher risk of injury no matter how great his technique is.

Of course they're bigger and faster and basically every position. That's why they will beat the griz. What sort of techniques will help the griz to win? What fundamentals will shield them from injury?

I'm not going to say that good technique can't give you an edge but Oregon is better because they are bigger, faster and more athletic. Smaller, slower, less athletic individuals have a higher chance of injury when it comes to bigger, faster, more athletic individuals.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 25001
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:24 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am
Football players also get hurt in practice. They get hurt playing less talented teams and they get hurt playing a team like Oregon.
True, but over time, they get hurt more often playing against bigger, better and faster teams.

Are you going to make the argument that we don't need speed limits because people have car wrecks going under the speed limit? How about we don't need dui laws because sober people have accidents too?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. Two GREAT examples, PR. :roll: :roll:
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 25001
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm
poorgriz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.
No, see my post from above - technique and fundamentals play a bigger part in injuries. In fact, has anyone even looked at the roster for Oregon? Are most of their players bigger than yours across the board?
Are you going to give us an analysis as to who has better technique and fundamentals between an NFL player and a 10 year old? No matter how you slice it the 10 year old has a higher risk of injury no matter how great his technique is.

Of course they're bigger and faster and basically every position. That's why they will beat the griz. What sort of techniques will help the griz to win? What fundamentals will shield them from injury?

I'm not going to say that good technique can't give you an edge but Oregon is better because they are bigger, faster and more athletic. Smaller, slower, less athletic individuals have a higher chance of injury when it comes to bigger, faster, more athletic individuals.
Oh, I am SOOOOOO glad I opened up this can of worms.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's see if we can get this hijacked thread to 17 pages people! STAT!!! 8-) 8-)
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

Raider
eGriz Club
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:35 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Raider » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:48 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
I completely disagree, but what difference does it make. This mentality is how the Griz have approached these games historically and they are down 3 touchdowns before they get off the bus.

...funny how this is never an issue with NDSU, EWU, etc.
We Are Montana Again!

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm
poorgriz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.
No, see my post from above - technique and fundamentals play a bigger part in injuries. In fact, has anyone even looked at the roster for Oregon? Are most of their players bigger than yours across the board?
Are you going to give us an analysis as to who has better technique and fundamentals between an NFL player and a 10 year old? No matter how you slice it the 10 year old has a higher risk of injury no matter how great his technique is.

Of course they're bigger and faster and basically every position. That's why they will beat the griz. What sort of techniques will help the griz to win? What fundamentals will shield them from injury?

I'm not going to say that good technique can't give you an edge but Oregon is better because they are bigger, faster and more athletic. Smaller, slower, less athletic individuals have a higher chance of injury when it comes to bigger, faster, more athletic individuals.
It just seems so simple and obvious, doesn't it? You must have played the game.

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:24 pm

We better be sure to schedule teams that have small, slow, weak players so we don’t rack up injuries. Just kidding, Player.😈

poorgriz
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by poorgriz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm
poorgriz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.
No, see my post from above - technique and fundamentals play a bigger part in injuries. In fact, has anyone even looked at the roster for Oregon? Are most of their players bigger than yours across the board?
Are you going to give us an analysis as to who has better technique and fundamentals between an NFL player and a 10 year old? No matter how you slice it the 10 year old has a higher risk of injury no matter how great his technique is.

Of course they're bigger and faster and basically every position. That's why they will beat the griz. What sort of techniques will help the griz to win? What fundamentals will shield them from injury?

I'm not going to say that good technique can't give you an edge but Oregon is better because they are bigger, faster and more athletic. Smaller, slower, less athletic individuals have a higher chance of injury when it comes to bigger, faster, more athletic individuals.
This discussion has absolutely nothing with how much better Oregon is than the griz and how much they're going to destroy you. We all know that's a given. The discussion is around whether or not injuries to your players are more likely when you're playing Oregon versus say a Monmouth or North Alabama. I'd say the latter. One final point here, and I'm really surprised PR of all people doesn't know this but the size discrepancy of the players is probably not nearly as much as you think it is. I had this argument with a buddy and we looked it up and compared the starting line up for MSU with the NE Patriots and the players were basically the same size across the board. Not my fault if Hauck recruits shrimps :lol:
Bobby Hauck is God. He's not a God... he's the God.

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Reading some of the brilliant comments about how Oregon will beat up on our little players, we better stay home. Haslam has the right idea scheduling Dixie State for four games as we won’t have any injuries. Right? What do you think 223?

Missoula223
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Missoula223 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Reading some of the brilliant comments about how Oregon will beat up on our little players, we better stay home. Haslam has the right idea scheduling Dixie State for four games as we won’t have any injuries. Right? What do you think 223?
Dude I swear we've been over this. Who will likely win between Oregon and UM? Why?

And yes he has the right idea, because Dixie St. isn't very good, but they're going to be FCS. FCS wins increase playoff chances. Do I need to continue to dumb this down for you?

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 12493
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by kemajic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
And those are the only injuries we've suffered in that time span, right? Swogger in 2006; what was it a finger? Anecdotes are interesting, but you still fail to offer any credible data to support your claim. When it's against a cupcake it's an "accident", but when it's against an FBS foe it's because they are so much faster and stronger. No, an accident was the case of Josh Buss, hurting himself seriously lifting. Smacks of narrative, probably because you just don't like to play up.

First I've heard of anyone suggesting the 9-5 2014 team was NC caliber if not for the toll taken at Wyoming, who was only good enough to barely win the game.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

sdk.catfish
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: High Plains

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by sdk.catfish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm

If playing "up" causes injuries shouldn't it logically follow that lots of players of our 2nd, 3rd teams, and the rest of those players waiting in the wings, be injured more time than they are healthy. I mean don't they play "up" every practice?

User avatar
bgbigdog
eGriz Club
Posts: 5593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am
Location: US

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by bgbigdog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:15 pm

kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
And those are the only injuries we've suffered in that time span, right? Swogger in 2006; what was it a finger? Anecdotes are interesting, but you still fail to offer any credible data to support your claim. When it's against a cupcake it's an "accident", but when it's against an FBS foe it's because they are so much faster and stronger. No, an accident was the case of Josh Buss, hurting himself seriously lifting. Smacks of narrative, probably because you just don't like to play up.

First I've heard of anyone suggesting the 9-5 2014 team was NC caliber if not for the toll taken at Wyoming, who was only good enough to barely win the game.
Not sure they were a contender @ seasons end, but they were ranked #5 going in & #4 for quite a stretch of games. Besides the upset, the next best showing against UNDSU was coming within 12 & only down 2 @ the half. Was this the year they couldn’t recover the onsides kick versus EWU?

Three teams @ 6-2 in the conference - had Mick not changed the offense the year prior with JJ leading things. Who knows?
Last edited by bgbigdog on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Growl"

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Reading some of the brilliant comments about how Oregon will beat up on our little players, we better stay home. Haslam has the right idea scheduling Dixie State for four games as we won’t have any injuries. Right? What do you think 223?
Dude I swear we've been over this. Who will likely win between Oregon and UM? Why?

And yes he has the right idea, because Dixie St. isn't very good, but they're going to be FCS. FCS wins increase playoff chances. Do I need to continue to dumb this down for you?
He, no doubt, has the right idea because Dixie State has a great football tradition! Haslam’s Statement, not mine. Were we discussing playoffs in the context of injuries? Oh, I get it now......the Griz should play little, weak, slow teams so we make the playoffs.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
And those are the only injuries we've suffered in that time span, right? Swogger in 2006; what was it a finger? Anecdotes are interesting, but you still fail to offer any credible data to support your claim. When it's against a cupcake it's an "accident", but when it's against an FBS foe it's because they are so much faster and stronger. No, an accident was the case of Josh Buss, hurting himself seriously lifting. Smacks of narrative, probably because you just don't like to play up.

First I've heard of anyone suggesting the 9-5 2014 team was NC caliber if not for the toll taken at Wyoming, who was only good enough to barely win the game.
First, UM doesn't play up and play the big teams very often. No, these were just a few that came to mind. There are multiple other examples.

Swogger broke his thumb his throwing hand. That's huge injury. Missed one game, I think, and played with a special glove after that for awhile. The punter went out for the season. Huge.

Yes, players get hurt in different ways. However, that's not the topic. The topic is players getting hurt more when UM plays up, especially against top teams. Bigger, faster, stronger, against smaller, slower, less strong players leads to more injuries.

I wasn't referring to the 2014 team. Note the words "years ago".

Show me that the data that proves your point. You no data either, and less anecdotes. Over the years, I have heard this from multiple coaches and multiple athletic directors.

I don't care if the Griz play up. I just don't have an orgasm over an FBS game, like some of you. I've gone to one away FBS game of UM over the years, and that was because I was invited to go on the team charter to Iowa. That was totally cool.

Missoula223
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Missoula223 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm

sdk.catfish wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm
If playing "up" causes injuries shouldn't it logically follow that lots of players of our 2nd, 3rd teams, and the rest of those players waiting in the wings, be injured more time than they are healthy. I mean don't they play "up" every practice?
Horrible comparison. 95 percent of college practices are tag or thud tempo. If you don’t know that that is, or didn’t know this to be the case you have no credibility when talking about anything football related.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm

sdk.catfish wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm
If playing "up" causes injuries shouldn't it logically follow that lots of players of our 2nd, 3rd teams, and the rest of those players waiting in the wings, be injured more time than they are healthy. I mean don't they play "up" every practice?
Nope and nope. Practice is not the same as playing in games. If you'd ever played the game, you might have known that. And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 25001
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
And those are the only injuries we've suffered in that time span, right? Swogger in 2006; what was it a finger? Anecdotes are interesting, but you still fail to offer any credible data to support your claim. When it's against a cupcake it's an "accident", but when it's against an FBS foe it's because they are so much faster and stronger. No, an accident was the case of Josh Buss, hurting himself seriously lifting. Smacks of narrative, probably because you just don't like to play up.

First I've heard of anyone suggesting the 9-5 2014 team was NC caliber if not for the toll taken at Wyoming, who was only good enough to barely win the game.
First, UM doesn't play up and play the big teams very often. No, these were just a few that came to mind. There are multiple other examples.

Swogger broke his thumb his throwing hand. That's huge injury. Missed one game, I think, and played with a special glove after that for awhile. The punter went out for the season. Huge.

Yes, players get hurt in different ways. However, that's not the topic. The topic is players getting hurt more when UM plays up, especially against top teams. Bigger, faster, stronger, against smaller, slower, less strong players leads to more injuries.

I wasn't referring to the 2014 team. Note the words "years ago".

Show me that the data that proves your point. You no data either, and less anecdotes. Over the years, I have heard this from multiple coaches and multiple athletic directors.

I don't care if the Griz play up. I just don't have an orgasm over an FBS game, like some of you. I've gone to one away FBS game of UM over the years, and that was because I was invited to go on the team charter to Iowa. That was totally cool.
Less anecdotes? There are literally HUNDREDS of players who’ve played up for the Griz, and THOUSANDS who have played up in the FCS without getting injured....there are lots more “anedotes AGAINST your argument than for it, bro. Ha.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

sdk.catfish
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: High Plains

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by sdk.catfish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 pm

by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm
And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.
So your saying that the 1st and 2nd teams aren't going full speed in practice? And I was told Hauck was a taskmaster. If that is the case it might explain 6-5. Sure glad you go to practice so that you can tell us these important "facts".

grizindabox
eGriz Club
Posts: 15393
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by grizindabox » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Raider wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:48 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
I completely disagree, but what difference does it make. This mentality is how the Griz have approached these games historically and they are down 3 touchdowns before they get off the bus.

...funny how this is never an issue with NDSU, EWU, etc.
Maybe in a couple years they can get to the level of NDSU and EWU.
One of the definitions of privilege is, thinking “the system works” because it worked FOR YOU.

Post Reply