Indoor practice facility

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Post Reply
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 12493
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by kemajic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pm

reinell30 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Sell beer in the stadium with $1 of every glass going to the Indoor facility. Add $5 to every home game ticket. It is the little things like this that people don't mind paying for. 3/4 million on just tickets for home games in One year. Beer sales would probably best that by a long ways. These are just 2 small ways to earn money. I know there are lot more.
I agree with finding the way to sell beer in the stadium, but it's been pointed out that it's not simple and will itself require investment. Our tickets are already the highest in the conf. and higher than most MW teams. There is risk in decreasing demand with higher prices. It's going to take more than bake sales to not only come up with $34MM capital, but the increased maintenance and operation costs.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

Griz#64
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Griz#64 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Put a roof on Washington Grizzly stadium.

reinell30
eGriz Club
Posts: 3810
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am
Location: Great Falls Mt

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by reinell30 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:30 pm
reinell30 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:55 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:35 pm
reinell30 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Sell beer in the stadium with $1 of every glass going to the Indoor facility. Add $5 to every home game ticket. It is the little things like this that people don't mind paying for. 3/4 million on just tickets for home games in One year. Beer sales would probably best that by a long ways. These are just 2 small ways to earn money. I know there are lot more.
If you enjoy watching the figurative shifting of goalposts, you should pursue the beer in the stadium idea. You'll be taken on a journey of changing primary reasons why it simply cannot be done.
That is pretty much what I have become accustomed too, is hearing why everything can't be done instead of how it can be done. I could begin the battle from afar, but it would be a lot better if someone in the local area would take on this fight. I am sure the person (s) would have plenty of support.
I agree about the support, but when those brave souls took it up the last time, I think it went something like this:

-Sell beer in the stadium?
---Can't. Not enough bathrooms.
-Get porta-potties?
---Can't. Nowhere to put them.
-Literally move some chain-link fencing to make room?
---Can't. (???).
-OK, make part of that South parking lot a beer garden open during games?
---Can't. Would take up too much parking.
-OK, there's honestly no more space for parking that could relocate the 100 cars we need to displace to make room for a beer garden in the South parking lot?
---Nope. Can't be done. Martha bought that spot, and she will be mad if we move her.
-OK, maybe just put a bigger line of porta-potties outside the stadium and allow in/out for bathroom use?
---Can't. The ticket takers at the gates would be overwhelmed.
-OK, just keep it as is, sell beer, and tell everyone to hold it until they can use the existing bathrooms?
---It can't be done.

I know there has to be a LOT more to the story, because it honestly feels like someone saying he wants to change the channel, but he can't, because the remote is "all the way over there".
Yes, I am tracking with you. The east side 2nd level has one food vendor is all. Put beer gardens on that concourse. It would hold a lot of people. Move the maintenance room off that floor and expand the bathrooms. Plan the west side expansion with larger bathrooms to accommodate beer sales. There is a way to get it done and make a lot of money. Yes, sometimes you have to spend a little to get a lot.
I think people would purchase the beer and go back to their seats or get more food. They wouldn't use the bathrooms any more then they do now. Most folks tailgate before game and consume lots of liquids, those same folks would use the restrooms the same amount.

User avatar
Mich Griz
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:30 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Mich Griz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Kelly applied and interviewed for the Montana job. He then went back to Grand Valley and leveraged Montana's offer for a big raise (equal to or better then what Montana offered). He stayed one or two more years then moved on to Central Michigan then to Cincinnati before ending up at Notre Dame. He made a substantial gift to GVSU but nothing close to what the Washington's have gifted to Montana. The DeVos family (Amway) is the money behind GVSU. Grand Valley is close to 30000 students. We have a ways to go to get back to where we were in the 90's. Everyone has caught up and many have passed us. We need to get over ourselves and step it up.
If you see Kay tell her I said HI.....

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Looking online, I haven’t noticed any donation from Kelly.

My view is that UM was better in the 2000s than the 90s.

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by dayday » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:20 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm
Looking online, I haven’t noticed any donation from Kelly.

My view is that UM was better in the 2000s than the 90s.
I mean both decades were dang amazing. It’s apples to apples compared to now.

braves84
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by braves84 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:44 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm
Looking online, I haven’t noticed any donation from Kelly.

My view is that UM was better in the 2000s than the 90s.
He and his wife through their foundation "Kelly cares" presented a $50,000 check to Grand valley state to honor Jamie hosford a 12 time letter winner .a Student scholarship to qualified student from Rockford Michigan area. So yeah , he has given back to gvsu.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 pm

braves84 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:44 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm
Looking online, I haven’t noticed any donation from Kelly.

My view is that UM was better in the 2000s than the 90s.
He and his wife through their foundation "Kelly cares" presented a $50,000 check to Grand valley state to honor Jamie hosford a 12 time letter winner .a Student scholarship to qualified student from Rockford Michigan area. So yeah , he has given back to gvsu.
Thx. Here it is. https://www.mlive.com/lakers/2014/06/br ... e_500.html

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 25001
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm
Badjuju wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm


My sincerest apologies, definitely did not mean to offend anyone. Some people read waayy too deep into this. I was just commenting on the cancellation of a few degrees offered and a few professors being released. No offense intended! I've heard athletes, ie.football, basketball, and track, girls and boys, make a few comments over the years. Nothing intended about "real degree". My bad
No offense taken, just trying to correct some oft-repeated misinformation that's out there. Kind of like "playing up causes more injuries" or "there's no crisis at the border"... :lol: :lol: :lol: These things get repeated enough they start taking on a life of their own.

UM offers plenty of "in-demand" degrees. Unless there's a specific specialty engineering curriculum an athlete is looking for, or unless they want to live in the land of the Californians (Bozo), there's no real reason to go to MSU over UM from a degree standpoint.
Playing up, especially against Big 5 teams, does result in more injuries. Not on every play. Not in every game. But over the long run. Just correcting the misinformation that comes from fans too removed from the program to know.
That fallacy has been laid to rest many, many times, but you do you and keep on spreading that misinformation bro.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

getgrizzy
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by getgrizzy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm
Badjuju wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm


My sincerest apologies, definitely did not mean to offend anyone. Some people read waayy too deep into this. I was just commenting on the cancellation of a few degrees offered and a few professors being released. No offense intended! I've heard athletes, ie.football, basketball, and track, girls and boys, make a few comments over the years. Nothing intended about "real degree". My bad
No offense taken, just trying to correct some oft-repeated misinformation that's out there. Kind of like "playing up causes more injuries" or "there's no crisis at the border"... :lol: :lol: :lol: These things get repeated enough they start taking on a life of their own.

UM offers plenty of "in-demand" degrees. Unless there's a specific specialty engineering curriculum an athlete is looking for, or unless they want to live in the land of the Californians (Bozo), there's no real reason to go to MSU over UM from a degree standpoint.
Playing up, especially against Big 5 teams, does result in more injuries. Not on every play. Not in every game. But over the long run. Just correcting the misinformation that comes from fans too removed from the program to know.
That fallacy has been laid to rest many, many times, but you do you and keep on spreading that misinformation bro.
I’ve never seen an article or study debunking that. It’s self-evident imo. Bigger, stronger, more athletic players are going to cause more injuries to smaller, weaker players, than vice versa.

Griz#64
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Griz#64 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am

Maybe the "Big 5 " have more thugs and Cheap shot artists!!

tourist
Posts: 1550
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by tourist » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 am

getgrizzy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm


No offense taken, just trying to correct some oft-repeated misinformation that's out there. Kind of like "playing up causes more injuries" or "there's no crisis at the border"... :lol: :lol: :lol: These things get repeated enough they start taking on a life of their own.

UM offers plenty of "in-demand" degrees. Unless there's a specific specialty engineering curriculum an athlete is looking for, or unless they want to live in the land of the Californians (Bozo), there's no real reason to go to MSU over UM from a degree standpoint.
Playing up, especially against Big 5 teams, does result in more injuries. Not on every play. Not in every game. But over the long run. Just correcting the misinformation that comes from fans too removed from the program to know.
That fallacy has been laid to rest many, many times, but you do you and keep on spreading that misinformation bro.
I’ve never seen an article or study debunking that. It’s self-evident imo. Bigger, stronger, more athletic players are going to cause more injuries to smaller, weaker players, than vice versa.
delusional--characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument. Based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken.

Who is delusional? I always thought playing the likes of Oregon was a 'body bag' game, but it was just a belief not backed up with 'reality or rational argument.' Perhaps my judgment was faulty, or I was just mistaken. Count me as a swing vote. If some key personnel are injured at Autzen, and the season goes into the toilet from that point, I'll say 'I told you so!' If not, then the theory is debunked, for this year.

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am

Football players also get hurt in practice. They get hurt playing less talented teams and they get hurt playing a team like Oregon.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am

Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am
Football players also get hurt in practice. They get hurt playing less talented teams and they get hurt playing a team like Oregon.
True, but over time, they get hurt more often playing against bigger, better and faster teams.

Are you going to make the argument that we don't need speed limits because people have car wrecks going under the speed limit? How about we don't need dui laws because sober people have accidents too?

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:58 am

I’m not making any argument.

Spanky2
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am

Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 12493
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by kemajic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am

Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

PlayerRep
Posts: 25493
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.

Missoula223
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Missoula223 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am

kemajic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Just ask Reese Phillips.
These are horrible arguments. If an NFL team is playing football against a bunch of 10 year olds, it's pretty obvious who is more likely to get hurt. This example is on a larger scale, but it's common sense. If your bigger and more athletic, you are less likely to get hurt.

Spanky you continue to amaze me with the dumb shit you say.

getgrizzy
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by getgrizzy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am
Since you mention it, there is an argument that football players are injured more when they play mediocre teams as they tend to play with less intensity.
Yeah, so what’s your point? There’s also an argument that the earth is flat and that we’ve never had men on the moon.

Post Reply