Indoor practice facility

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Post Reply
PlayerRep
Posts: 25189
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Sam A. Blitz wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm
You can get injured stepping off the bus... However, my experience is that you are more likely to get injured playing against bigger, faster, and stronger athletes than playing same level. Just from a linebacker's perspective, OL and RB's get to the 2nd level quicker and faster, with less interference, which just makes you more vulnerable. I know that it's even more brutal in the trenches. I still like a play-up game. Makes you a better player and is a good experience overall.
Yup, it's so obvious, at least to those who played the game.

argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by argh! » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Sam A. Blitz wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm
You can get injured stepping off the bus... However, my experience is that you are more likely to get injured playing against bigger, faster, and stronger athletes than playing same level. Just from a linebacker's perspective, OL and RB's get to the 2nd level quicker and faster, with less interference, which just makes you more vulnerable. I know that it's even more brutal in the trenches. I still like a play-up game. Makes you a better player and is a good experience overall.
Yup, it's so obvious, at least to those who played the game.
geez, even i agree with greenie. one plus one equals two. one plus two equals 3.

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 12295
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by kemajic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:53 pm
Player has forgotten more about football than I will learn. However, in this instance, I suspect he is aware he can’t prove his original premise, but isn’t prepared to concede.
In his own words, he's "righter."
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

poorgriz
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by poorgriz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:00 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:53 pm
Player has forgotten more about football than I will learn. However, in this instance, I suspect he is aware he can’t prove his original premise, but isn’t prepared to concede.
I have already provided very good evidence and proof, and no one has come close to refuting any it. There have actually been more injuries in FBS games that I can recalled. Huge number. Very costly.
Hee hee, you sure seem convinced here. If you're correct, then you guys really need to get with the program and recruit bigger better faster stronger players over there. MSU doesn't have this problem. :mrgreen:
Bobby Hauck is God. He's not a God... he's the God.

SaskGriz
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by SaskGriz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 pm
SaskGriz wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 pm
SaskGriz wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm


Okay, I only looked at the last 4 Play-Up games; UW(2017), Wyoming(2014), Tennessee(2011) and Iowa(2006).

I looked at who played in the play-up game and then whether they played in the next game and then whether they played in the game after that.

UW - David Shaw missed the blow out over Savannah State but played the week after.
Shane Moody appeared in neither of the next two games, don't know if that was injury or he fell out of favour.

Wyoming- Ben Weyer, Jordan Johnson, John Nguyen all missed the game against Central Washington but were back for South Dakota. Caleb Kidder appeared in neither of the next two games.

Tennessee - Matt Hermanson missed the next game against Cal Poly. Brett Kirschner, Bryce Carver, and Chris Bradford appeared in neither of the next two games. None of these four players were starters.

Iowa - Josh Swogger, David Haile, and Dan Carter missed the next game against SDSU but were back for Sac State (Swogger went 14-18, 221, 3TDS). Tyson Johnson and Chris Dyk did not appear in either of the next two games.

I realise that this doesn't mean that players didn't play hurt. To figure out if this is more or less than injury levels in FCS or play down games would take more effort/time than I can currently give. It seems to me that these levels of injury do not seem particularily high or out of proportion to any given Saturday.
This level of injury is very high. This proves my point. Look at Wyo. in 1997, That will further prove the point. Also, give us the report on the Oregon game. This further proves my point.

Tyson Johnson tore his ACL at Iowa and didn't play the rest of the season.
I don't think this does prove your point. What do you mean that this level of injury is very high? What are you comparing it to? In the three games I checked where I could find the starters; we lost no starter for more than one game. In the Iowa game I was unable to determine who started and who didn't but I'm prepared to accept that losing your punter, Tyson Johnson is unfortunate. We have lost our punter in four games to a serious injury. I think I could probably pick any four games and find a starter who lost significant time.

Even though I'm not one of your paralegals I went ahead and ran the 2005 Oregon game as you instructed. It is by far the worst of the five play up games for injury. 10 players missed the next game; nine reserves and one starter (Loren Utterbeck), all of them played again that season with the exception of Jake McCarthy. 3 played after missing only one game (Karl Pitcher, Eric Michel and Peter Sloan).

Again in five play up games we lost a punter and one every down player (who later came back to play that year). I can't think that is an unusually high number.
Including the Oregon game, for which I produced an article showing a huge number of injuries, and the 1997 Wyoming game when multiple players were lost, and your 3 games, there were a huge number of injuries. If you can't see that, or think that is normal, then you really have no clue about the game. Sorry, but you just don't.

In the Iowa, you were able to determine that our star transfer QB and preseason all-American punter started? Please. Even just those 2 was a huge loss. Swogger had to wear a glove on his throwing hand for much of the season. Johnson was done for the season. Those were both significant injuries.
Okay, how does that compare to an average number of players lost to injury against opponents of FCS or lower? No one has ever said that playing football won't result in injuries, some of which will be significant. You challenged people to come up with numbers, and I think I've broken down those play up games very well. Instead of insulting, get on the internet or talk to your many sources and refute what I've put up. I will draw a line in the sand and say the levels of injury or the frequency is not statistically different than playing any other team. No anecdotes or opinions, refute my numbers.

User avatar
Mich Griz
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:30 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Mich Griz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:58 am

run the numbers. 85,000 games should prove out, or disprove this theory. My guess is that there will be very little if any statistical difference in injuries, and if there is a difference it will be slightly more injuries to a team when they're playing DOWN a level.
But wait, what if you play NDSU? Those guys have won their last 5-6 games against FBS teams. So is that playing up or not? Then there is Idaho, was playing them the last 5 years considered playing up. Complicating this stat hunt is the fact both of those teams play INDOORS. I assume they practice indoors at times. Idaho for sure. Isn't their stadium actually and INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY? Maybe we should think about adding moving down to this thread that will surely get it to 17 pages. We are so damn close. Move down, play games indoors and recruit slow skinny guys problem solved no injuries
If you see Kay tell her I said HI.....

User avatar
Yukon
Posts: 3438
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Yukon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 am

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm
God dammit, can anyone, anyone at all, tell me how many injuries an indoor practice facility will cause? Specific pointer/flexor analysis is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CDA - I believe they are discussing the pro's and con's of an FBS practice facility versus a FCS practice facility and if a FCS team gets one they get injured. Or something to that matter.
"Facts are stubborn things" John Adams

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 24668
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am

Yukon wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 am
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm
God dammit, can anyone, anyone at all, tell me how many injuries an indoor practice facility will cause? Specific pointer/flexor analysis is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CDA - I believe they are discussing the pro's and con's of an FBS practice facility versus a FCS practice facility and if a FCS team gets one they get injured. Or something to that matter.
Oooohhhhh…..so close! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8-)
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 12295
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by kemajic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am

I don't remember anyone getting hurt (except their feelings) against Washington. However, the next week against Savannah St. was murder.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

Spanky2
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am

Oregon seems to be the team that beats up on our little guys.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25189
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am

kemajic wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am
I don't remember anyone getting hurt (except their feelings) against Washington. However, the next week against Savannah St. was murder.
See the list above listing players who didn't play the next week after UW.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25189
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 am

Spanky2 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am
Oregon seems to be the team that beats up on our little guys.
Not to worry. Only 12 injuries in the week after UM played them last time, and one starter out for8 weeks. No big deal.

BerkeleyBuff
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by BerkeleyBuff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Not only has this thread been derailed, it has actually been completely transformed into an entirely different thread.

Spanky2
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am

I think the AD should resist the money games in scheduling from this point forward and schedule FCS and below.
We still should avoid North Dakota State and some of the other seeded play off teams to minimize injuries.

PlayerRep
Posts: 25189
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by PlayerRep » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am
I think the AD should resist the money games in scheduling from this point forward and schedule FCS and below.
We still should avoid North Dakota State and some of the other seeded play off teams to minimize injuries.
What does this have to do with the main subtopic being discussed? Are you trying to start another subtopic? I assume you know that football scheduling is done by the AD?

Spanky2
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Spanky2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am
I think the AD should resist the money games in scheduling from this point forward and schedule FCS and below.
We still should avoid North Dakota State and some of the other seeded play off teams to minimize injuries.
What does this have to do with the main subtopic being discussed? Are you trying to start another subtopic? I assume you know that football scheduling is done by the AD?
Yes, I am aware that the AD does football scheduling with input from the coach. The subtopic currently being discussed is the practice of scheduling FBS opponents can/does create more player injuries than scheduling FCS and below opponents.
I would suggest that the AD is tempted to schedule FBS opponents for reasons of revenue, thus, the money game comment.
It is fact that Oregon’s preseason FBS ranking is 10 or top 10. The Montana FCS preseason ranking is 24. Is the AD wise to schedule Oregon? Based on history, perhaps not.
By the way, 12 injuries (mostly minor) in a game whereby we possibly play 60-70 players (?) in the game isn’t season ending.

Catsrgrood
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 pm

This. Is. Gold.

So what if the injury that occurred happens as a result of non contact? IE landing wrong and tearing an ACL. Is this accounted for in all of this “data” being spewed everywhere?

I would presume a non contact injury wouldn’t have much to do with the fact a team is playing up, down or equal to their level.

Better run a full report on this and get at least 20 years of data, the injuries that occurred in every game, if they were playing up or down, what kind of injury it was (non contact or contact related), was the injured player a starter, did they come back after one game, 2 games or were they lost for the season?
Then we can actually compare some relevant data instead of cherry picking a handful of games, point out a couple injuries and then extrapolate that out to all college football games ever and call the conclusion “obvious”.

Can you get all that gathered PR?
Thanks

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 24668
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by AZGrizFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:01 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 am
Spanky2 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am
Oregon seems to be the team that beats up on our little guys.
Not to worry. Only 12 injuries in the week after UM played them last time, and one starter out for8 weeks. No big deal.
We went through something like 17 QB's in Bob Stitt's 3 years here and didn't play up once. To what do you attribute that?

Then again, given the talent level he brought in, maybe we were really playing up every game, eh?
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
Yukon
Posts: 3438
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Yukon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:38 pm

:off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off: :off:


:hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack: :hijack:


:delete: :delete: :delete: :delete: :delete: :delete: :delete: :delete: :delete:
"Facts are stubborn things" John Adams

Richard Cranium
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:59 am
Location: Great Balls

Re: Indoor practice facility

Post by Richard Cranium » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank God Bobby Hauck never played College Football, or he might know what he is doing.
In this world theres 2 types of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig......you dig! Clint Eastwood ( the Good the Bad and the Ugly )

Post Reply