• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Indoor practice facility

Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third... :lol:
Remember your Abbott and Costello? :thumb:

Yeah, that’s probably the case. Mainly I’m wondering where it would be built. It doesn’t look like there’s much room adjacent to the Champions center.

getgrizzy said:
Has fundraising begun? How much will it cost? Where will it be built?

The last plan I heard, was to put it where the existing maintenance shops are. That of course means moving the shops to another location, possibly South Campus, and all the cost of relocating and building new maintenance facilities. A plan I had heard before that was to put it just to the east of Madison Street Bridge (that seems to be no longer in consideration, but I know that at one time, that was where Haslam and Sundberg preferred it). I think the cost I last heard was about $34 Million.

As far a fundraising, I'm sure the Athletic Department is always looking for that special donor. Could it be you? :lol:

At 34 million that must be a heck of a lot more than just an indoor practice facility. In some limited research, it looks like 15 to 20 mil can get you a pretty fancy one. USC is building one or just build one for 40 mil but it’s a lot more than just a practice facility

At the Billings Tour BBQ, Haslam mentioned that the private $2MM funding for the locker room upgrades was secure and the project had been approved by the BOR and would be going forward. There was no mention of the indoor practice facility, which has to be many years off.

HookedonGriz said:
At 34 million that must be a heck of a lot more than just an indoor practice facility. In some limited research, it looks like 15 to 20 mil can get you a pretty fancy one. USC is building one or just build one for 40 mil but it’s a lot more than just a practice facility

I agree that $34 Million seems high. But I assume that figure includes deconstruction, moving and building the new maintenance shops.

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

I agree that $34 Million seems high. But I assume that figure includes deconstruction, moving and building the new maintenance shops.

A few years ago this was pitched as the next big project and discussed at about 10 - 15 million depending on major donation received. The location at the time was preferred to be the open field used at times by football for practicing just to the north of the adams center parking lot and tailgate area. There was concern at the time that they couldn't quite fit the facility into that footprint. There was another alternative discussed which would have placed this facility on the south campus but it wouldn't be as useful and this option may have died. At the time, they were concerned that all the bells and whistles wouldn't fit the facility by the adams center. This information is 2 - 3 years old so plans may have changed. As mentioned by another poster, they are always looking for that one big donor to make it happen. I believe the 5 million owed on the recent athletic facility would only affect this project to the extent that they needed additional funding beyond major donations pledged or it could depend on how much athletic revenue could be pledged to support bonding.

I spoke with the AD folks about it at the Helena GSA event. After the new basketball locker rooms were done they would start fundraising for the indoor practice facility. $30 million for a facility that would be used by all the sports teams. They are planning on getting the first $15 million from large donors then a public campaign for the rest.

RXGriz said:
I spoke with the AD folks about it at the Helena GSA event. After the new basketball locker rooms were done they would start fundraising for the indoor practice facility. $30 million for a facility that would be used by all the sports teams. They are planning on getting the first $15 million from large donors then a public campaign for the rest.

My reaction is "fat chance" with that. Looks like a pipe dream. I'm trying to think of more old expressions.

PlayerRep said:
RXGriz said:

My reaction is "fat chance" with that. Looks like a pipe dream. I'm trying to think of more old expressions.

Why do you say that? Are the large donor pockets drying up?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RXGriz said:

Don't know if they are drying up, but I'm only aware 2 who have donated big and 1 who has money but hasn't donated big. How about you? How many are aware of? Say people who can or will donate more than $2 million to athletics. There are some others who donate or can donate fairly big to academics.

It took over 15 years to get a new $14 million Performance Center, and I see that someone just said there is still $5 million to get. A $30 million project seems like pie in the sky to me. I found another old phrase.

To be sure this would be a ways off. They have to plan for one though as Weber already has one and the cow college has one in the later stages of their 20 year $48 million plan. I would venture that our main donor family will be heavily involved in the process when it gets to that point.

I think the family might rather have a bigger or new yacht, plane or house. UM should be careful going to that well too often. I would focus on the academic side with them. UM needs $30 or $40 million for academics more than an indoor practice faculty. In my view.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RXGriz said:

Don't know if they are drying up, but I'm only aware 2 who have donated big and 1 who has money but hasn't donated big. How about you? How many are aware of? Say people who can or will donate more than $2 million to athletics. There are some others who donate or can donate fairly big to academics.

It took over 15 years to get a new $14 million Performance Center, and I see that someone just said there is still $5 million to get. A $30 million project seems like pie in the sky to me. I found another old phrase.

I can stroke a check, but it’ll have 3 less zeros :lol: are there 1,000 of me out there?

If I recall correctly, the $34MM project was far more than an indoor practice facility. It housed the indoor track and some other (expensive) amenities.

kemajic said:
If I recall correctly, the $34MM project was far more than an indoor practice facility. It housed the indoor track and some other (expensive) amenities.

Correct, the facility they want to build will have a full indoor track, that can host meets, a full 100-yard football/soccer field, a softball practice area, offices, lockerrooms, and something else the program needs badly, a full-scale medical training and recovery facility. That facility was originally part of the Champions Center's original vision but was scrapped when it bumped the price tag to well over $20 million. The football program needs that as much as they need the indoor facility imho. It's another part of what recruits really look hard at these days which is why MSU is including that in its football ops building that's getting closer to a reality.

I have heard that the idea to include ALL of this in one facility is not only because the athletic department needs it all, but because they believe it will peak the interest of donors outside of the usual heavy hitters focused only on the football program. Believe it or not, there are some very wealthy track and field enthusiasts out there. See what one track and field enthusiast did for Glendive!

I have also heard that if they just wanted to put up a steel building at the South Campus complex that would house a 50 or even 100-yard field, and that's it, it would have been done a long time ago, but, it would essentially be for the football and soccer team to practice in with room for nothing else and THAT'S IT, and that's not what UM wants to do. They have decided to go for the big facility on the main campus that would benefit virtually the entire athletic department. And from what I have heard, just recently as a matter of fact, it's a longgggggggg way off, if ever.

PlayerRep said:
I think the family might rather have a bigger or new yacht, plane or house. UM should be careful going to that well too often. I would focus on the academic side with them. UM needs $30 or $40 million for academics more than an indoor practice faculty. In my view.

i totally agree with this comment. it's nice to dream about an indoor practice facility, but the reality is that um needs money for academics. The budget isn't balanced yet, enrollment is still falling, etc. i would hope that bodner's focus isn't anywhere near athletic facilities.

George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:

Correct, the facility they want to build will have a full indoor track, that can host meets, a full 100-yard football/soccer field, a softball practice area, offices, lockerrooms, and something else the program needs badly, a full-scale medical training and recovery facility. That facility was originally part of the Champions Center's original vision but was scrapped when it bumped the price tag to well over $20 million. The football program needs that as much as they need the indoor facility imho. It's another part of what recruits really look hard at these days which is why MSU is including that in its football ops building that's getting closer to a reality.

I have heard that the idea to include ALL of this in one facility is not only because the athletic department needs it all, but because they believe it will peak the interest of donors outside of the usual heavy hitters focused only on the football program. Believe it or not, there are some very wealthy track and field enthusiasts out there. See what one track and field enthusiast did for Glendive!

I have also heard that if they just wanted to put up a steel building at the South Campus complex that would house a 50 or even 100-yard field, and that's it, it would have been done a long time ago, but, it would essentially be for the football and soccer team to practice in with room for nothing else and THAT'S IT, and that's not what UM wants to do. They have decided to go for the big facility on the main campus that would benefit virtually the entire athletic department. And from what I have heard, just recently as a matter of fact, it's a longgggggggg way off, if ever.

I don't recall that the track and field team, the soccer team, or any UM team other than the football team ever attracted 26,000 fans to any of its events. Administration may want a Taj Mahal facility, but putting the football program on indefinite hold for its needs is idiotic. Football is the money maker. Nurture it and the others will benefit in the loooooooong run.

Back