• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Szczur

kemajic

DONOR
Still playing the hardball, now for AAA Reno (AZ Diamondbacks affiliate); just hit for the cycle last night in a game with a football score. Also had a caught stealing, so may be slowing down; now 29 years old.

https://tinyurl.com/y4gqpx7r

Kid should have been a catcher. He'd be an everyday player. As an OF he's had a couple cups of coffee in the bigs, but nothing much.

AZGrizFan said:
Kid should have been a catcher. He'd be an everyday player. As an OF he's had a couple cups of coffee in the bigs, but nothing much.
363 MLB games. Maybe; but his speed would have been wasted as a catcher.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Don't catchers run the bases too? Or do you mean that all that crouching would slow him down?

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Don't catchers run the bases too? Or do you mean that all that crouching would slow him down?

Szczur... I’m gonna head down to the local Morton’s facility see if I can get some additional salt to rub in this newly reopened wound. Geez.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yeah, he’s been around...but always on the periphery...but never had 200 AB’s in a season, and now at 30 is stuck in AAA....12 Career HR’s.... .231 BA....

He was a great player at Villanova! Always thought he would have made a good slot receiver in the NFL! Like Welker, Edelman, or Amendola!

With a $950,000 contract this year, a net worth of about $2 Million at 30 years old, a pension plan and lifetime healthcare plan, even though he hasn't seen much time in the bigs he's set up pretty good when he's all finished with his baseball career. Coming out of this pretty healthy, which is not even close to a guarantee with pro football.

get'em_griz said:
With a $950,000 contract this year, a net worth of about $2 Million at 30 years old, a pension plan and lifetime healthcare plan, even though he hasn't seen much time in the bigs he's set up pretty good when he's all finished with his baseball career. Coming out of this pretty healthy, which is not even close to a guarantee with pro football.

Mic drop....

get'em_griz said:
I think the full vesting for the MLB pension is about 4 years service equivalent, for which he is likely still short and hanging on for another shot at some more MLB roster time. Good player, but playing against the best.

kemajic said:
get'em_griz said:
I think the full vesting for the MLB pension is about 4 years service equivalent, for which he is likely still short and hanging on for another shot at some more MLB roster time. Good player, but playing against the best.

And Kem picks the mic back up and spikes it. :lol:

MLB
Major League Baseball has the best pension program in all of sports. A big league player needs just 43 days of service to qualify for a pension benefit. Forty-three days of service can guarantee an MLB player a $34,000 per year pension benefit. One day on an active roster qualifies a player for full comprehensive medical benefits.

Major league baseball players become fully vested in their pensions after 10 years of service. It is not uncommon for retired baseball players with over 10 years of service to receive over $100,000 annually upon reaching the age of 62. Baseball has the most well-funded pension program with estimates valuing the plan at over half a billion dollars.

tourist said:
fanofzoo said:
I still have bad memories of that name.

No shit. As soon as I saw the name, I had the same reaction as I have had to scraping fingernails on a chalkboard. :(

Exactly. The name brings back bad memories, then again, knowing he's a great young man, I wish him all the best.

"Matt Szczur, OF, Diamondbacks: Now a month away from his 30th birthday, Szczur is showing newfound power — albeit in a fairly small sample. Through 112 plate appearances with the Snakes’ top affiliate, he has a whopping .303 isolated power mark and seven dingers."

I was in Phoenix a few years back for Cubs spring training game, we were sitting right by the on deck circle. Szczur came up and I started in with the razzing, trash talk about Griz Nation wanting him to strike out, we would never forgive or forget, just laid it on. He snapped around and laughed, went to the plate and ripped a double.

Back