• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who Are The UM Peer Schools?

Spanky2

Another poster mentioned that the UM peer schools of 50 years ago, may not be the UM peer schools of today. I thought our peer schools were Wyoming, Utah State, Colorado State, etc. Today, maybe the peer schools of UM truly are Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Eastern Washington, Dixie State. I don’t know.

Peers in Academics? Or, in sports, which sports?

I'd give different answers for each topic and different for each sport

UM Peer Schools in Both Academics and Athletics
UM Western
Miles Community College
Dawson Community College

Peer Schools in Athletics
MSU Northern
Carroll College
Rocky Mountain College
Montana Tech

Peer Schools in Academics
Dickinson State University
University of Wyoming
Fort Peck Community College

MTCowpoke said:
UM Western
Miles Community College
Dawson Community College

MSU Northern
Carroll College
Rocky Mountain College
Montana Tech

University of Wyoming

Such disrespect. I'd say most Big Sky Conference Schools are our peers in both. Why wouldn't they be? And why should UM be peers with Pac-12, etc. Trying to slander us by comparing UM to NAIA schools is just ridonkulus. The Champions Center, the Academic Center, Wa-Griz Stadium and our campus in general puts UM on the level with many FBS athletic programs and ranks UM among the best in the entire Northwest. Academically the Law School, Forestry, Journalism, Business and Pharmacy are high quality programs. UM is, and always will be, a fine institution we can all be proud of.

MTCowpoke said:
UM Western
Miles Community College
Dawson Community College

MSU Northern
Carroll College
Rocky Mountain College
Montana Tech

University of Wyoming

Had to laugh. Well played. UM has a long ways to go with EXPANSION of programs. Too many with limited enrollment. That needs to change. A good school overall that produces a solid product. Bozo having some good years but becoming arrogant. All things are cyclical. Both institutions will improve with time. UM absolutely positively has the edge athletically. Bozo has the edge from an education perspective. Will be interesting to see each school grow/retract as the economy and technology change.

I’m not clear regarding the opinion of some, except cowpoke. Are we a peer of Wyoming, Utah State, BYU or just Northern Colorado, Southern Utah? Some say we can’t compare to Wyoming, Utah State on an academic basis.

Spanky2 said:
I’m not clear regarding the opinion of some, except cowpoke. Are we a peer of Wyoming, Utah State, BYU or just Northern Colorado, Southern Utah? Some say we can’t compare to Wyoming, Utah State on an academic basis.

Population of Wyoming - 568,125. Population of Montana - 1,074,000. Population of Utah - 3,216,857.
I don’t know about demographics, but U of M nor MSU is in the same league with Utah. Wyoming could easily be a BSC team. They just have been smart in Wyoming and they only have one major educational institution. Montana is right where they belong. Their peers are BSC teams. End of story. Compare sports, academics, etc. They are right where they belong.

If correct, sad to hear we are a peer school of Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah. I wasn’t aware that it was based on population.

Spanky2 said:
If correct, sad to hear we are a peer school of Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah. I wasn’t aware that it was based on population.

Utah State University (also referred to as USU or Utah State) is a public land-grant research university in Logan, Utah. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.[9] With nearly 20,000 students living on or near campus, USU is Utah's largest public residential campus.[10] As of Fall 2018, there were 27,932 students enrolled including 24,880 undergraduate students and 3,052 graduate students.[1] The university has the highest percentage of out-of-state students of any public university in Utah totaling 23% of the student body.[11]

U of M - between 10k- 11k. Wyoming is approximately 12,397. MSU enrollment is approx 14,725.

Population and enrollment matter. Why do we think a state of 1 million and an institution of 10-11k is deserving of a “higher status”. Seriously, we can’t win the FCS title and the school is struggling academically. What is your argument. Are you just trolling?

I don’t have an argument and I’m not trolling. Just trying to determine our peers as I said in my original post. Further, I don’t think I like what I’m hearing, nor do I like where UM is headed with the athletic program, except basketball.

Academically, our peers would be flagship schools from other states of similar size. Davis is probably the most prestigious academic institution in the conference. Poly is up there as well. The regional schools are probably a step down, but have certain departments that are regarded.

In conference, Idaho, ISU, and MSU would probably be considered our closest peers. Regionally, Wyoming and the Dakota flagships are probably considered peers. Endowment is a good statistic to look at.

Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

Utah State University (also referred to as USU or Utah State) is a public land-grant research university in Logan, Utah. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.[9] With nearly 20,000 students living on or near campus, USU is Utah's largest public residential campus.[10] As of Fall 2018, there were 27,932 students enrolled including 24,880 undergraduate students and 3,052 graduate students.[1] The university has the highest percentage of out-of-state students of any public university in Utah totaling 23% of the student body.[11]

U of M - between 10k- 11k. Wyoming is approximately 12,397. MSU enrollment is approx 14,725.

Population and enrollment matter. Why do we think a state of 1 million and an institution of 10-11k is deserving of a “higher status”. Seriously, we can’t win the FCS title and the school is struggling academically. What is your argument. Are you just trolling?

2019 spring enrollment:
MSU: 15,694
UM: 10,962 (fall 2018) reported 2% decrease in spring of 2019.

So yeah NAIA maybe a bit closer in comparison.

SeattleBobcat said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

2019 spring enrollment:
MSU: 15,694
UM: 10,962 (fall 2018) reported 2% decrease in spring of 2019.

So yeah NAIA maybe a bit closer in comparison.

Did you actually look at NAIA enrollment? I get that your comment may be tongue in cheek, but come on. It would be like me commenting on MSU’s football stadium being NAIA caliber. Oh wait.

Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

Population of Wyoming - 568,125. Population of Montana - 1,074,000. Population of Utah - 3,216,857.
I don’t know about demographics, but U of M nor MSU is in the same league with Utah. Wyoming could easily be a BSC team. They just have been smart in Wyoming and they only have one major educational institution. Montana is right where they belong. Their peers are BSC teams. End of story. Compare sports, academics, etc. They are right where they belong.

coppergriz is correct imo.....population has nothing to do with it,,,,it just is what it is and we are there.

Well, It maybe We are re-entering the de-emphasis program of the late 60's, early 70's. At that time,MSU's,peer group was Utah, Utah State,Colorado St, Wyoming, BYU,Idaho, MSC ,North dakota. San Diego State,Denver U.of the skyline conference, This schedule looks like we have been de-emphasized, and have become the mountain division of the IVY League. I assume we have our eyes on scheduling Sketchy Hi,Dillon Normal,and a few more power houses. Go Griz, Next conference will be the "Panty league".Hell, may scratch out a 1-8 record against them..

If enrollment is all that matters, then Stanford, Notre Dame and the Ivy’s are our peers.

Our peer institutions — both in athletics and academics are Wyoming, Colo State, Utah State, Idaho, ND, NDSU, etc.

Back