• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Missoula's open enrollment policy for high schools

PlayerRep

There was a discussion on this subject in another thread previously, but I don't want to muck up that thread. I did some research.

Missoula has had high school open enrollment for many years. Kids could transfer schools. If an actual move of the family to the new school district wasn't involved, there were restrictions on when the kid could start playing varsity sports.

Open enrollment is ending as of next fall (effectively now). Kids who had already changed schools will be grandfathered in.

Too many kids had been transferring to the two "hot" schools, Sentinel and Hellgate. Big Sky's enrollment is down.

Now, many Hellgate Elementary area kids will have to go to Big Sky.

There had been complaints all along by some parents about their kids not getting enough chances in various things, like Hellgate soccer, because so many out of district kids came to Hellgate to play soccer due to open enrollment.

The boundaries of some of the elementary schools have just changed too.

I wonder if the extra hot housing markets, in some areas like Lewis & Clark, are being helped by the changes in these school policies and districts.

I didn't read the open enrollment stuff anywhere; just heard it. So, feel free to correct or supplement if you know more. And, whoever was saying previously that Missoula no longer had open enrollment, was at least generally going in the right direction, and I wasn't.

tourist said:
As used in your post, the word 'district' is confusing.

In a thread talking about open enrollment, you are confused about an elementary for high school district? If so, that's funny.

How about an elementary school area, or boundary or border?

PlayerRep said:
There had been complaints all along by some parents about their kids not getting enough chances in various things, like Hellgate soccer, because so many out of district kids came to Hellgate to play soccer due to open enrollment.
Allow me to clarify my one sentence.

"...out of district kids...," meaning out of the Missoula School District, such as the Philipsburg School District, or, are you referring to kids from Big Sky H.S. who chooses to go to Hellgate or Sentinel for sports? Big Sky, Hellgate, and Sentinel are all in the same School District, right? If its actually newcomers to the Missoula School District, how could that possibly cause and enrollment decline at BSHS?

tourist said:
PlayerRep said:
Allow me to clarify my one sentence.

"...out of district kids...," meaning out of the Missoula School District, such as the Philipsburg School District, or, are you referring to kids from Big Sky H.S. who chooses to go to Hellgate or Sentinel for sports? Big Sky, Hellgate, and Sentinel are all in the same School District, right? If its actually newcomers to the Missoula School District, how could that possibly cause and enrollment decline at BSHS?

I am talking about Missoula That's why the thread title starts with Missoula.

You must not know what open enrollment means.

You need to get a bit more up to speed before you post. Or, at least get on the right planet.

In a way that is a shame. Hellgate has the IB program. Big Sky has the medical and ffa academies. Sentinel has the most AP and dual credit programs. It offered students an opportunity to follow what they wanted at a bargain price to taxpayers vs. all Schools duplicating effort. Of course there was some movement due to athletics, but even in that case I would argue all schools had a chance to hire a better ad or coach, and kids were choosing what was best for them. I don't see this change in the kids best interest.

Latest posts

Back