• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU adding Okla St QB transfer

HookedonGriz

DONOR
They added a Washington QB drop down last year and now an Okla St QB

https://azdailysun.com/news/local/nau-roundup-football-adds-former--star-transfer-qb/article_8d67aa80-dc42-53aa-b198-b56a6b91cd58.html

Paytonlives said:
...and they will still suck

So answer me this, who has made the playoffs most recently between nau and Montana. I know nau got thumped by San Diego, that was in '17.

braves84 said:
Paytonlives said:

So answer me this, who has made the playoffs most recently between nau and Montana. I know nau got thumped by San Diego, that was in '17.

For close to 25 years... NAU has been that "this is the year" team. and for 25 years they have failed.

Paytonlives said:
braves84 said:
Paytonlives said:

For close to 25 years... NAU has been that "this is the year" team. and for 25 years they have failed.

Hoping that changes with Souers' departure.

6 playoff appearances in the 25 years (and only one win) is better than some, but should be better given NAU's location.

With Cookus at QB, they were pretty good. However, as I remember the last NAU-Griz game, Cookus got tossed for targeting(too subjectively applied), after a INT or fumble. Then, the real NAU was revealed.

I would count on NAU making a fairly marked improvement, if not this year than next. Sauers, while a great guy and former Montana coach was lazy as the head coach of NAU. Didn't do winter conditioning and didn't recruit in the spring. Now, in comes Ball, who has seen what a successful program looks like, having been the only coach Nick Saban kept from Mike Price's staff when he came to Alabama. Not saying they are going to become a Big Sky power, but they will be a very well coached and disciplined team now that they have someone in charge with a present-day coaching philosophy.

tourist said:
With Cookus at QB, they were pretty good. However, as I remember the last NAU-Griz game, Cookus got tossed for targeting(too subjectively applied), after a INT or fumble. Then, the real NAU was revealed.

It was on a reverse...He was blocking on the targeting call.

As I said, much too subjectively applied, bad rule. If it was obvious, it wouldn't have taken the officials very long to review video. I do remember Cookus was pissed, and had to leave the field. Unfortunately for him, the way to the locker room is in the corner of the NEZ. He got an ear full for his tantrum. Getting inside Cookus's head is important if you want to neutralize him, and NAU.

ari gold said:
I would count on NAU making a fairly marked improvement, if not this year than next. Sauers, while a great guy and former Montana coach was lazy as the head coach of NAU. Didn't do winter conditioning and didn't recruit in the spring. Now, in comes Ball, who has seen what a successful program looks like, having been the only coach Nick Saban kept from Mike Price's staff when he came to Alabama. Not saying they are going to become a Big Sky power, but they will be a very well coached and disciplined team now that they have someone in charge with a present-day coaching philosophy.

Ball knows AZ and So California recruiting very well from his time in Pac 12. They very well could be scary 3 or 4 years from now with those recruiting bases so close to home and with his track record as a very good coach. AD at NAU has lots of connections and experience that is going to make a big difference from what has been the status quo there.

tourist said:
As I said, much too subjectively applied, bad rule. If it was obvious, it wouldn't have taken the officials very long to review video. I do remember Cookus was pissed, and had to leave the field. Unfortunately for him, the way to the locker room is in the corner of the NEZ. He got an ear full for his tantrum. Getting inside Cookus's head is important if you want to neutralize him, and NAU.

Why would that matter? He was going to the locker room because he was ejected from the game. So getting in his head at that point was a non issue.

I find it interesting that Coach Stitt obviously knew about this quarterback and the kid did not end up at Texas State University. If Coach didn't think he was good enough to play at Texas State I would think he would advise him to go to Montana. (Just kidding) Actually he would probably hope the kid would go to any school that could beat Montana. (Not kidding)

tourist said:

It was targeting exactly as the rule is written. They reviewed it for so long because they never thought they'd be reviewing a call on a fucking QB. :lol: :lol:

SACCAT66 said:
tourist said:

It happened right in front of me. Nothing subjective about it. Cookus might have been a bit overly enthusiastic when given the chance to make a hit. But it was the correct call.

goatcreekgriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
tourist said:

It happened right in front of me. Nothing subjective about it. Cookus might have been a bit overly enthusiastic when given the chance to make a hit. But it was the correct call.

Yes, you are correct. The targeting was absolutely blatant and malicious. And the back block was unnecessary. Cookus intentionally went up high to hit the pursuer in the face/helmet.

PlayerRep said:
Yes, you are correct. The targeting was absolutely blatant and malicious. And the back block was unnecessary. Cookus intentionally went up high to hit the pursuer in the face/helmet.

I'm knee deep in righteous indignation after reading this, PR. Was it targeting......yup. Was it malicious and blatant assault.....nope.

On a side note, Daniel Bridge-Gadd (NAU's backup QB from U Washington) who tore his knee up and missed the last three games of the season is no longer listed on NAU's roster. Haven't read that he transferred or quit. The transfer from Oklahoma State adds more roster depth.

MT Jack said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm knee deep in righteous indignation after reading this, PR. Was it targeting......yup. Was it malicious and blatant assault.....nope.

On a side note, Daniel Bridge-Gadd (NAU's backup QB from U Washington) who tore his knee up and missed the last three games of the season is no longer listed on NAU's roster. Haven't read that he transferred or quit. The transfer from Oklahoma State adds more roster depth.

Look again. High and vicious hit. Good thing Cookus was onlly a qb. A really blocker could have killed the Griz, who was a very good player.

Back