• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz to play Dixie St

SWeberCat02

Not sure if this has already been posted, but looks like Griz scheduled to play Dixie St four times. Also, Dixie St is scheduled to play Montana St, Sac St, and UC Davis, among others.

Dixie State will play a total of four games against the Montana Grizzlies. The series will open at Montana on Sept. 25, 2021 before shifting to St. George on Sept. 9, 2023.

The Trailblazers will then travel to face Montana on Sept. 5, 2026 and again on Sept. 18, 2027. DSU will receive a guarantee of $260,000 for the 2027 matchup only.

https://fbschedules.com/dixie-state-byu-colorado-state-plus-eight-more-future-schedules/

$260,000!!! For a 2027 game. What was this figure based on? No wonder the Athletic Dept. budget is in the red. Oregon is paying how much this year?

I assume they will be part of the BSC by then. You know.... To get us back to 22-23 schools in the conference.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
Their addition should please the body bag group. Another Northern Colorado.

I bet they’re regularly above UNC in the standings by then. :lol:

Should be good competition for who can top 4000 average attendance. St. George is larger than Missoula.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

Should be good competition for who can top 4000 average attendance. St. George is larger than Missoula.

Good luck recruiting to Saint George.

tourist said:
$260,000!!! For a 2027 game. What was this figure based on? No wonder the Athletic Dept. budget is in the red. Oregon is paying how much this year?

Looks to me like the $260,000 is for the combined three games, and setup so it’s only paid if they honor all three.

mtgriz said:
tourist said:

Looks to me like the $260,000 is for the combined three games, and setup so it’s only paid if they honor all three.
The first two are a home and home, so it likely just covers the last two. That's still pretty rich for a poor draw like Dixie St.

WaGriz4life said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

Might be easier than you think. There are reasons it's one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

grizpack said:
I assume they will be part of the BSC by then. You know.... To get us back to 22-23 schools in the conference.

I agree the conference is too big, especially for football. UNC and UND should never had been invited. And to this point Idaho isn't looking like a good add either. I'd prefer 8 or 10 schools. But, the conference isn't kicking anyone out and adding one more school isn't going to change the negative effects of too many schools much. But it would give the conference an even number of schools. That would solve the lone wolf scheduling problem for sports other than football, giving everyone a travel partner. Scheduling for an odd number of schools in such a huge geographical area is a logistical nightmare. Still, I'd much rather see N Mex St added than Dixie St.

SWeberCat02 said:
grizpack said:

I agree the conference is too big, especially for football. UNC and UND should never had been invited. And to this point Idaho isn't looking like a good add either. I'd prefer 8 or 10 schools. But, the conference isn't kicking anyone out and adding one more school isn't going to change the negative effects of too many schools much. But it would give the conference an even number of schools. That would solve the lone wolf scheduling problem for sports other than football, giving everyone a travel partner. Scheduling for an odd number of schools in such a huge geographical area is a logistical nightmare. Still, I'd much rather see N Mex St added than Dixie St.

Add 'em and then split into two. :thumb: :thumb:

SWeberCat02 said:
WaGriz4life said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Might be easier than you think. There are reasons it's one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

also less than 2 hours from Las Vegas. lots of kids in that metro area (pop 2.5 million) who aren't likely to aspire to play for UNLV.

griz4life said:
And will Dixie be paying the Griz $260k for games at their place? Bet not.

Since it is a 3 for 1, doubtful. One is a pay game, then a 2 for 1 with no payments either way.

Griz gets THREE home FCS games for $260K. Cheap

dbackjon said:
griz4life said:
And will Dixie be paying the Griz $260k for games at their place? Bet not.

Since it is a 3 for 1, doubtful. One is a pay game, then a 2 for 1 with no payments either way.

Griz gets THREE home FCS games for $260K. Cheap

Right, dbackjon, that's the way I see it, too. And the payout is deferred until 2027, giving the Athletic Department time to rebuild and replenish the budget. Makes sense to me.

WaGriz4life said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

Dumb comment. St George is a great town. I was just there last week. A lot of outdoors entertainment in the area, plus the town itself is growing. If Cedar City can recruit there, St George will do much better.

Back