• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appreciation of a Great Griz - JLM (Don't Worry)

CrunchGriz

Just wanted to put out a little note to thank a great Griz, generally the smallest player on the field, for his amazing work and often brilliant results, before his senior season.

Despite playing (generously) at 175 lbs. and 5'8, he has been utterly fearless for his entire career, refusing to go out of bounds, running routes across the middle, and even making tackles on kick coverage.

He already has Griz all-time records for most catches in one game (21 against Cal Poly as a freshman) and highest average number of catches per game for a season. By the third or fourth game of next season he will have the most receptions in Griz history, and with a decent season will end up in the top 10 in career receiving yards, and with a good season in the top 5.

He is a great punt returner who has never had a turnover on a punt, and averaged 10 yards per return, with 2 TDs, including that ridiculous one against UNI, and was robbed of a 91 yard return TD last year because of a holding penalty.

Opposing coaches always have to know where he is, and plan for him, which opens up other receivers. Some of his receptions have been on the miraculous side, like the 40+ yard reception against Northern Colorado as a freshman where he circled completely around the defense, and that for any other receiver would have been a 7 yard gain.

Even as a runner he has excelled, averaging more than 7 yards per carry, including almost 11 yards per carry against MSU last year, before the toss play to him was shelved after Dalton made a bad pitch.

There's a reason Griz fans chant "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..." every time the Griz are awaiting a punt. They know something amazing can happen in the next few seconds. Shades of "LV, LV, LV...".

This is not to ignore other Griz, like the equally diminutive and explosive Gabe Sulser (I'm looking forward to seeing how they further connive to get both of these guys on the field at the same time--defensive nightmare), but JLM has put up numbers and given us thrills just a bit longer, so I wanted to give him his due before he was gone.

Here's hoping for an amazing senior season!

This young man is a spark plug and love watching him play. Deserves a chance to feel what it is like to make a deep playoff run. Keep up the great work Jerry!

Criminey, Crunch. Damn near gave me a heart attack. Seeing your title I thought something happened that prevented him from playing this season.

I think everyone is a bit tooooo jumpy around here. ;)

Sorry if I caused any cardiac events. Not intended.

EverettGriz said:
Criminey, Crunch. Damn near gave me a heart attack. Seeing your title I thought something happened that prevented him from playing this season.

I almost fell out of my chair and thought the same. Damn!

I don’t think JLM and Sulser have to be on the field at the same time. If they platoon in the slot, you’ve got the slot playing fresh the whole game. They could be the Griz version of Edelman, moving the chains on key third downs.

No surprise to me that he is a quality young man with a bright future. I sat next to his family at the Idaho game in Moscow last fall and they were a pleasure to be around. Looking forward to watching him perform in his senior year. :thumb:

mtgriz said:
I don’t think JLM and Sulser have to be on the field at the same time. If they platoon in the slot, you’ve got the slot playing fresh the whole game. They could be the Griz version of Edelman, moving the chains on key third downs.

Yeah, for most of every game the platoon is great with these two, but for a handful of plays per game, let's see defenses try to keep up with both of them going different directions.

CrunchGriz said:
mtgriz said:

Yeah, for most of every game the platoon is great with these two, but for a handful of plays per game, let's see defenses try to keep up with both of them going different directions.

Add Jesse Owens next year and there’s another dynamic slot receiver!

rocklobster said:
CrunchGriz said:
mtgriz said:

Add Jesse Owens next year and there’s another dynamic slot receiver!

just what i was thinking.....watching that kid is a lot like Sulser....Owens is a blurrrr.....

mtgriz said:

I don’t think either of them really play like Edelman does. But I understand what your saying. Staying fresh is nice but I would also put them on the field at the same time sometimes. With motion and dual slots they would be tough to game plan for.

I wasn’t worried per se until Ursa posted.

They means he’s likely back from Georgia & his peach tree poaching expedition. Hopefully it was Peach trees he got his time.

I mean... there’s a reason nobody makes pear vodka. Can’t keep the frickin partridge out of it.

Oh & who doesn’t love watching JLM? Someone from the Gallatin, probably.

Been a joy to watch JLM, and having Sulser as his successor is almost too good to be true. His first touchdown (and touch) was an absolute thing of beauty.

Back