• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scheduling FBS opponents - good or bad?

70Griz

DONOR
Although we're still several months away from lining up across from the Oregon Ducks, I'd like to hear some feedback from Egriz about the scheduling of P5 teams. I understand the financial aspect and what Grizzly athletics stand to gain monetarily. (Although I don't know how much we got paid to get blasted by Washington in 2017, it was probably a nice payday.) Personally, I don't understand the concept of this scheduling to get blown out of the water. It seems to me that we gain more in the eyes of the selection committee, if we have wins against strong FCS teams as part of our non conference season, ie Northern Iowa, etc. I would much rather see us schedule home and home games with stronger FCS programs. Fire away boys and girls.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Its good for the BRAND...especially in the Pacific Northwest for us.

That, to me, is the only bonus, other than the kids get to say they played against Oregon and a first round pick in the 2020 NFL draft. Money is good, but I a home game against an FCS team would be close to that I think based on what others have said in the past. Cool for the fans to travel to those places as well

I wish we would begin a rivalry series with NDSU. Make them our 1st game every year, just alternate stadiums.

I’m all for it as I love going to these types of games. I would take this type of game over the shitty division 2 central Washington team we just schedule for 2020. I can’t believe Haslam got away with that

HookedonGriz said:
I’m all for it as I love going to these types of games. I would take this type of game over the shitty division 2 central Washington team we just schedule for 2020. I can’t believe Haslam got away with that

Them again? Now that does suck. I agree going to these games are fun. Tennessee was amazing! I do have my rooms booked for the Oregon game as well.

reinell30 said:
I wish we would begin a rivalry series with NDSU. Make them our 1st game every year, just alternate stadiums.

That’s a great idea but they’d rather beat up on weak FBS schools then lose to us atleast every other year.

HookedonGriz said:

Would CWU be an issue if they followed Dixie State's lead into the WAC/FCS Independence?

dbackjon said:
HookedonGriz said:

Would CWU be an issue if they followed Dixie State's lead into the WAC/FCS Independence?

Not in my opinion, no . we need to be scheduling all FCS with a sprinkle of FBS, but we should never schedule a division 2 team ever. There’s literally no upside to scheduling a game like that. It can only hurt you for playoffs and a blowout win does nothing

HookedonGriz said:
dbackjon said:
HookedonGriz said:

Not in my opinion, no . we need to be scheduling all FCS with a sprinkle of FBS, but we should never schedule a division 2 team ever. There’s literally no upside to scheduling a game like that. It can only hurt you for playoffs and a blowout win does nothing

The rub is that, consistent with your logic, no FBS program should schedule us...ever...for the exact same reasons.

Mike Reilly. Awsome performance. September 27, 2008, Washington Grizzly Stadium. Final: 38-35 on a field goal in the closing seconds. Who won? I was there. So, lets not assume CWU will suck. Reilly is still in the CFL(B.C.).

The P5 FBS games do nothing for me. I don't really care, one way or another, about those games, but would rather see other less good opponent games and have another home game.

AllWeatherFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
dbackjon said:
HookedonGriz said:

The rub is that, consistent with your logic, no FBS program should schedule us...ever...for the exact same reasons.

One difference - FBS is allowed to count an FCS win (provided they give 90%-100% of allowed schollies) as a win for Bowl purposes. The Equivalent would be for FCS to "count" 1 DII win provided they met a minimum Schollie requirement

HookedonGriz said:
dbackjon said:
HookedonGriz said:

I don't think CWU will blow you out. You'll probably only lose by 10.

HookedonGriz said:

They will be FCS in 2020. Were the whole purpose for the stadium renovation and the boosters and athletic director want to either find an FCS conference or move as an independent by 2020

I personally enjoy the FBS games the Griz play. I wish we could be more competitive in them. Not counting Idaho when they were FBS, I think the last FBS team we beat might have been Oregon State in the Don Read era.

EWU certainly has had some success in surprising some PAC-12 schools in recent years. It certainly would be nice for the Griz to do the same.

I however think the game with the Ducks will be tuff sledding. If Herbert had went to the NFL I would have felt better. Not so much now. I seem to recall out last Duck game was a blow out at well like 42 to 7.

Let’s just hope the Ducks are looking past the lowly Griz and we can at least make a game out of it!

BAD...

Unless UM could schedule the Wyomings, New Mexicos etc.

Getting your ass kicked for money is a waste of time and effort.

In recent years, we have been an easy out playing FBS teams. Until Bobby is able to build our program back to a quality FCS team, we should schedule only FCS opponents.

RayWill said:
HookedonGriz said:

They will be FCS in 2020. Were the whole purpose for the stadium renovation and the boosters and athletic director want to either find an FCS conference or move as an independent by 2020

100%? Do you have a source? I know they’d like to be. I’d like to be a millionaire.

Do not like the Oregon game. A loss, one less legit chance at d1 win, overmatched can lead to injuries, getting ass kicked by them will not "help" the brand/recruiting. Kids signing just because they will maybe get to be ass beat by a FBS school in the future seems logically messed up.

On other hand a great individual performance might set the appetites of the FBS school going after the grad transfer option for poaching a griz guy.

Back