• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NFL bars prospect from combine in latest failed effort to legislate violence

PlayerRep

"The NFL has rescinded its invitation to Louisiana Tech pass rusher Jaylon Ferguson after he was flagged on his background check for a violent offense, NFL Network reports.

Ferguson, the NCAA’s all-time sack leader, was convicted of simple battery during his freshman year for a fight at a McDonald’s in addition to a separate public intoxication charge while he was in college, according to the report.

The battery conviction falls under a new league policy barring players from the combine “if a background check reveals a conviction of a felony or misdemeanor involving violence.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-reportedly-bars-prospect-jaylon-ferguson-combine-latest-failed-effort-legislate-violence-232351526.html

Pffftttttt, yet dudes who do way worse in the NFL get slapped with a 4 game suspension, while the NFL postures about having a zero tolerance policy, then the player keeps playing after serving his time. You do you, NFL.

Just ridiculous, not like he won't get a shot in the NFL, but hey, let's keep you from the underwear Olympics. That'll teach him! :roll:

Freshman gets drunk. Freshman gets into a fight. The world is going to hell. This has never happened before. Right?
This is the inevitable outcome of political correctness, and can be traced back most recently to Kaepernick. If the NFL or 49ers had crushed him immediately, this PC bullshit would never have happened. The NFL didn't act, and millions told the NFL to pound sand, as did I. The value of the average NFL franchise lost about 25%(can't say that really bothers me). Vast areas of open seats in the stadiums on game day. Owner stupidity. Viewers watch sports as an escape from the real world. Now, every piss ant cause is taken up by some sport entity and drummed up from obscurity into national prominence. This is just the latest wrinkle in a story which will never end.

tourist said:
Freshman gets drunk. Freshman gets into a fight. The world is going to hell. This has never happened before. Right?
This is the inevitable outcome of political correctness, and can be traced back most recently to Kaepernick. If the NFL or 49ers had crushed him immediately, this PC bullshit would never have happened. The NFL didn't act, and millions told the NFL to pound sand, as did I. The value of the average NFL franchise lost about 25%(can't say that really bothers me). Vast areas of open seats in the stadiums on game day. Owner stupidity. Viewers watch sports as an escape from the real world. Now, every piss ant cause is taken up by some sport entity and drummed up from obscurity into national prominence. This is just the latest wrinkle in a story which will never end.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2019/02/14/he-stopped-selling-nike-products-because-colin-kaepernick-now-his-store-is-closing/

uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2019/02/14/he-stopped-selling-nike-products-because-colin-kaepernick-now-his-store-is-closing/

Nice nonstory. There's no WAY they can prove a causal connection between his decision to stop selling Nike products and his store closing. Hell the article says it very clearly: The entire mall is struggling...a Dicks Sporting Goods pulls away his business. Mom and pop stores are ALWAYS going to struggle in today's society. There's no loyalty anymore.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

Nice nonstory. There's no WAY they can prove a causal connection between his decision to stop selling Nike products and his store closing. Hell the article says it very clearly: The entire mall is struggling...a Dicks Sporting Goods pulls away his business. Mom and pop stores are ALWAYS going to struggle in today's society. There's no loyalty anymore.
Kind of like how the people saying Kaepernick is the reason for the NFL's falling viewership ignore that sports viewership is down across the board, while cable-cutting has increased dramatically, while team profits keep going up?

But yeah, I'm sure his decision to stop selling the #1 sporting brand in his store didn't have anything to do with his sudden, precipitous drop in sales. :lol:

tourist said:

I support any player who feels the need to speak up, but I also support any fan who decides to quit watching because they feel it is disrespectful to the flag. That is what is great about this country. We have the freedom to protest, counter protest, agree, and agree to disagree.

Your cause and effect is off on this however. This is the Ezekial Elliot, Kareem Hunt, Ray Rice and even as far back as Lawrence Phillips backlash. The domestic violence issue is something that needed to be addressed. I believe this is a overreaction and the product of these so called zero tolerance rules that don't address individual situations like this guy.

I would not be worried, because he will be drafted and the combine is actually becoming less relevant as teams are doing so much more research outside of the combine and on pro days and individual workouts. Many top players opt out of the combine as it hurts their status more than it helps.

tourist said:

Oh BS - it has nothing to do with Kaep.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

From what I read, the only person who states that pulling Nike gear from his store led to the closing is the store owner himself.

I think from an advertising stand point, most experts actually considered the Kaepernick ad a success as far as TOMA and sales from it. Nike got more free air play out of it than they actually paid for.

Polarizing ads keep people talking. He has been out of the league since 2016 and he is still a topic of conversation.

I watch very little NFL football myself anymore, but it has more to do with the boring watered down version of the game they put out there anymore. Play calling is too conservative, reffing is inconsistent and too intrusive to the game. Too many field goals and the list goes on and on.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

Nice spin. He even says not selling Nike was a huge factor. Nike controls 40% of the sporting goods market. He wasn't selling current NFL gear, because that is NIKE.

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

Nice spin. He even says not selling Nike was a huge factor. Nike controls 40% of the sporting goods market. He wasn't selling current NFL gear, because that is NIKE.

I didn't spin anything. The article did it for me. Big box store >> little guy store 99/100 times.

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
What is this "NFL" you speak of?

The one that you getting happy about when a Griz or Red Raider makes it to there :D

Literally the ONLY time. :thumb: It is kind of nice though, not having a "favorite" team and being able to root for individual players only.... :thumb: :thumb:

grizatwork said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

From what I read, the only person who states that pulling Nike gear from his store led to the closing is the store owner himself.

I think from an advertising stand point, most experts actually considered the Kaepernick ad a success as far as TOMA and sales from it. Nike got more free air play out of it than they actually paid for.

Polarizing ads keep people talking. He has been out of the league since 2016 and he is still a topic of conversation.

I watch very little NFL football myself anymore, but it has more to do with the boring watered down version of the game they put out there anymore. Play calling is too conservative, reffing is inconsistent and too intrusive to the game. Too many field goals and the list goes on and on.
This was much better than my post. +1

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
tourist said:

Kind of like how the people saying Kaepernick is the reason for the NFL's falling viewership ignore that sports viewership is down across the board, while cable-cutting has increased dramatically, while team profits keep going up?

But yeah, I'm sure his decision to stop selling the #1 sporting brand in his store didn't have anything to do with his sudden, precipitous drop in sales. :lol:
I've never equated Kapernick to the NFL's declining ratings. They've been flat or declining for about 10 years...this year's super bowl viewership was the lowest since 2008, and the 4th straight decline in viewers.

uofmman1122 said:
grizatwork said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

This was much better than my post. +1

BTW, he's actually back IN the league now...J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I've never equated Kapernick to the NFL's declining ratings. They've been flat or declining for about 10 years...this year's super bowl viewership was the lowest since 2008, and the 4th straight decline in viewers.
Yeah, but tourist (and many other) certainly implied it.

Back